Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuvMoosic4life

About Ready To Eat A Tree!

People who have very little give because they know what its like to be hungry. I grew up with nothing and was fed by a neighbour with a frightening degree of frequency. At the time, I thought it was just fun but she saw me as a skinny hungry kid. When my oldest was a baby we used the food bank beuase my husband was on strike and I was on unpaid mat leave and we had NO income for close to three months and a mortgage to pay. Times get better. A lot of us pay those dues. I hope things get better for you shortly :)

Hey, so how've you been doing? Have things gotten any better or have you been able to pick up a few hours work somewhere?

I havent heard back from any jobs i applied for yet ( I wouldnt have the time with 18 credits right now and finals!!! maybe once break starts!) But I did get a few gigs coming up, which will help me out greatly! they dont pay a ton, considering I have to put gas in my tank to get to them, but they will at least give me enough cash to get home for the holidays and get a few gifts for my family!!! It sucks too b/c the places i';ll be playing at offer us food...i always decline the offer in fear of CC. I ate at a gig once and got sick for 3 days after..no fun!

now's the time to eat as smart as possible. I know it's hard - I had to eat on a max of $20/week the summer I worked on campus after freshman year (no meal plan or dining hall during the summer). (That was 10 years ago, it'd have to be a bit more than $20/week now, I'd think.) Cheap, but nutritionally dense foods are the way to go - only buy what's on sale. Until there's more money, don't bother with juice; it's not worth the money. Stick with water. Eggs are a good protein source, if you can have them, and you can use them for many, many things. Rice is good, beans are good - buy dried and rehydrate yourself. It takes longer, but that's what you're trading - time for money. Whatever frozen veggies are on sale, or fresh veggies that are on sale, that's what you eat that week. If it doesn't make a difference nutritionally, and can't be had cheaper, don't do it. (Like the turkey burgers - beef is cheaper, if you're going ground. Whole chicken is cheaper still.) It takes time and planning, but you can do it!

Sounds like me right now. $20 a week is about what I've been on- my good weeks!!! but I cant thank enough the people who have helped me in this forum, I really dont want to think about where I would be without recieving that help! I was actually thinking about having to give up running/working out just b/c I was getting low on the proper food to refuel from my workouts everyday. So glad i am still running, it is my biggest stress reliever, I dunno what I would do without it.

now's the time to eat as smart as possible. I know it's hard - I had to eat on a max of $20/week the summer I worked on campus after freshman year (no meal plan or dining hall during the summer). (That was 10 years ago, it'd have to be a bit more than $20/week now, I'd think.) Cheap, but nutritionally dense foods are the way to go - only buy what's on sale. Until there's more money, don't bother with juice; it's not worth the money. Stick with water. Eggs are a good protein source, if you can have them, and you can use them for many, many things. Rice is good, beans are good - buy dried and rehydrate yourself. It takes longer, but that's what you're trading - time for money. Whatever frozen veggies are on sale, or fresh veggies that are on sale, that's what you eat that week. If it doesn't make a difference nutritionally, and can't be had cheaper, don't do it. (Like the turkey burgers - beef is cheaper, if you're going ground. Whole chicken is cheaper still.) It takes time and planning, but you can do it!