This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stumped

LOney

LOney Rookie

I was hoping someone could help me out. My son, 4 last July, was diagnosed last Feb with celiac. He has been doing great, has gained almost 10 pounds, has energy and distended belly is gone. We stick to a gluten free diet for the whole family, usually. There have been instances when my son will have bathroom issues where his #2 will be similar to pre diagnosis times. However, no matter how much we wrack our brain, we can not find the culprit. Coinciding with those times he has had a bit of a cold - not major but just a stuffy nose and cough. I have wondered if the cold could give him those bm's?

My confusion is that there have been two times that I know he was glutened at preschool - once when a new teacher gave him a cracker without paying attention, and just the other day when a science visitor gave the kids one fruit loop each to teach about taste. The first instance my son only complained about a belly ache but no diarrhea happened, and the second time with the fruit loop cereal (just yesterday) nothing happened at all. Are there times when they just won't react and others (no matter how much you try to figure out what it is, and can't) they will react?

A few weeks ago he woke up with diarrhea, and the only thing we can come up with is that the preschool had a halloween party and had the kids put their hands in cooked spaghetti. I didn't find out until later - and she claims he washed his hands really well - but seriously - how well does a 4 year old wash their hands? Do you think something like that could cause a reaction of diarrhea, but a cracker or a fruit loop wouldn't?

Thanks for your help - this is so hard and confusing!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbtoyssni Contributor

My symptoms are so variable. Sometimes I get sick sometimes I don't. Sometimes it's more stomach pain and sometimes joint pain. So, no, I don't think it's weird that your son doesn't always get D when glutened.

• 3 weeks later...
zeta-lilly Apprentice

honestly, I think you're worried than you need to be :) it doesn't sound like he's sick on a routine basis, just occasionally. It's possible he got glutened, but it's probably just a stomach bug or something funny he ate. Plus kids at that age don't wash their hands like they should. Prior to being gluten free, I used to get food poisoning all the time (it felt different from normal celiac symptoms). I think his intestines are probably more sensitive to bugs than normal kids intestines are because of the past damage and accidently getting glutened. I wouldn't worry about it.

medic8r Newbie

zetalilly makes a good point, that your child may be just picking up a bug. children at daycare facilities are constantly subjected to intestinal bugs, no matter how clean the facility seems.

also, i wanted to point at that you stated your child had the loose bowels at the same time as having a "cold". if there was any postnasal drip this would certainly explain the loose bowels.

it sounds like you are doing a great job of doing everything you are supposed to do to help your child!

RiceGuy Collaborator

I think I'd be concerned if the D lasts more than a day. As was stated, preschool can be a minefield of germs.

However, is it possible that he has other food intolerances or allergies? Perhaps dairy, or soy, corn, nuts, etc.

Anyway, does your son understand that he has a special diet? At his age, he should have no problem understanding it. If nothing else, he should know to inquire before ingesting something. But the spaghetti he should have known, IMO. Shame on the teacher for letting him participate. She should have contacted you at the very least.

mommida Enthusiast

One thing you could do is go back and teach the handwashing with the ABC's, Lord's Prayer, and any other 20 second time limit song or recitation reccomended for proper hand washing.

Pre-school is germ laden and a gluten mine field. If you are able to supply gluten free repacements for the classroom, ask the teacher to let you.

LOney Rookie

Thanks for all of your responses - I truly appreciate it. My son is very much aware of his food needs, and constantly asks when new people are around. I think I might have made a mistake, though, in telling him that I supply all of his snacks at school, so he can eat freely there. He always asks when other people give him food (grandparents, etc), but I think he feels comfortable at school because he knows I gave him the ok to eat snacks there. As for putting his hands in things, I have had the discussion with him regarding play doh - and honestly he rarely plays with that anyways, and never at preschool anymore. So that wasn't an issue. But never would I have thought they would have him stick his hands in spaghetti - I was very surprised and a bit annoyed when I found out. They said he washed his hands well, but I know what cooked spaghetti is like, and it gets under your nails etc if you put your hands in. . . so who knows. I don't want my son to be nervous around people he is supposed to think have his best interests in mind, and I also know most 4 year olds wouldn't speak out and say they can't do that because of wheat, when the rest of his peers are lining up to do it!!!! I guess this is just my introduction to what the rest of his school life is going to be like - yikes!!!! Thanks again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliet Newbie

Remember, too, that this disease has a cumulative effect. Sometimes one incident alone won't do anything, but little tiny bits of incidents on a daily basis might add up to one big "symptom" like diarrhea.

And Zeta_Lilly brings up a very good point. My son (and by default, me, recently found out I have two Celiac genes myself) has been gluten free for 3 years now. When he first was diagnosed, he was sick with EVERYTHING all the time, colds and stomach flus. And I seemed to get food poisoning 3 times a year. But this season, even with my son starting kindergarten, he's never had a stronger immune system, and I haven't been this healthy since probably high school.

So, continue to be vigilant and know that despite any small setbacks your child is getting healthier every day now.

AliB Enthusiast

Many don't get completely well on gluten-free - they think they must be getting glutened when in fact, they are actually reacting to other foods, usually carbs. gluten-free foods are typically much higher in carbs than even gluten foods and can sometimes actually make things worse rather than better, although there can sometimes be an initial improvement.

I see this all the time. It is a constant cry on the forum.

Many have been struggling with this issue for many years without any resolution. However, a lot of us are now discovering the benefit of the Specific Carb Diet (SCD). It is a healing diet - not for weight loss (although some lose excess weight - and those who need more sometimes end up putting it on!).

It removes the foods that are keeping the damage going. Yes, it is gluten-free, but it cuts out other antagonists including corn and soy, which are very common. Although the villi may heal, many are still suffering with Leaky Gut, which allows certain food molecules through into the bloodstream that shouldn't be there - triggering reactions.

Removing those foods allows the gut to properly heal. Although it can take a while, once the gut has healed, a relatively normal diet can then be resumed.

There is an SCD thread on the 'Other Food Intolerances' section, and 'breaking the vicious cycle' and 'Pecanbread' are the best websites for info.

Archived