Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chels12

Going To Central America

I am planning a trip to Central america (specifically Costa Rica) this summer. As a student I will be doing things as cheap as possible and backpacking and sleep ing on hostels. I have lived with celiac for a few years now so have pretty much learned the ropes (I am also allergic to dairy and deathly allergic to nuts and peanuts) :rolleyes: If anyone has any advise (other than don't bother, stay at home) I would love it!! Im starting to get a little nervous but Im sure its doable!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You might look into a translator if there are any language barriers you might face. Make sure to pack a few snacks to take with you "just in case". If you are careful, I am sure you can/will have a great experience.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Be cautious of "Mole" sauces -- very traditional in Mexiaco and Central America -- they are often made with nuts and such.

You defintely should make your won cards up that discuss your individual allergies and that explain cross-contamination.

Have fun.....I hope to travel to Costa Rica/Panama later this year...

Guest BERNESES

Where in Costa Rica are you going? i went to the Carribean coast recently (October) and there was so much I could eat but that coast has very different foods. They have lots of meats (chicken, beef and fish) and rice dishes and I only got sick when I had pizza at an American restaurant (this was before I knew I had Celiac's) :( It's an amazing country- the people are so warm and friendly. And gorrrrrgeous! Beverly