This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Best Dog Breeds For Kids?

JennyC

JennyC Enthusiast

Wow! Thanks Tiffany! I really appreciate the time you took to write that. :) Yes we will definitely crate train. We are also going to take obedience classes, but I'm pretty sure that we cannot really afford it until after Christmas. ;) You have given me more than enough information to get me started!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

They ususally don't recommend obedience training at 10 weeks anyways - they need to be a little bit more mature before you start. Most places have recommendations for ages. But you can do plenty of training - sit, down, stay, etc. without obedience, luckily!

caek-is-a-lie Explorer

Half poodle half maltese is what we had growing up. She was great and never shed. She was toy-sized but her litter mates were all medium sized dogs. They have great temperment. She was also very smart, loved kids and playing with cats. Her best friend was an orange tabby. lol

tarnalberry Community Regular
Wow! Thanks Tiffany! I really appreciate the time you took to write that. :) Yes we will definitely crate train. We are also going to take obedience classes, but I'm pretty sure that we cannot really afford it until after Christmas. ;) You have given me more than enough information to get me started!

With such a young, smart dog, you may well find that it's more about training you, and the family, than the dog, strictly speaking! :D hehehe. My husband and I "conference" on our training consistency and technique (within the bounds of what we know) all the time. (With a family, I find this is a good idea - you can see what works for other people, where the family may be sending mixed signals, and generally train more efficiently. Turns out that our slightly different methods for training controlled walking were making things go more slowly than they needed to. I needed to be firmer in my physical corrections (for walks, he needs strong ones, for other things, not so much), and he started using "stop and stand like a tree" along with the physical correction for pulling. This can be a great way to remove what the dog wants (to go forward and explore something interesting).)

Do let us know how things are going with the puppy, share pics and all that! :) (Open Original Shared Link)

(I can sneak in a few questions to the trainer we're working with if they're remotely close to something Neo might do too. ;) )

laurelfla Enthusiast

Congratulations! There is nothing like a puppy! Our dog Petunia (the chihuahua) is about 7 months now and the picture-taking has finally slowed down. ;) My husband made fun of me because I must have had several hundred of her younger days. She's just so darn cute.

Thanks for the training info, tarnalberry, very good for reinforcing what we've been working on too. I am hoping to get Petunia in another class after the holidays, but you are right, Jenny, it is pricey. :( Petunia was really too young, looking back, to do some of the things they told us in Puppy class, but now I think things would go better.

Good luck potty training! I'm sure it will go great. :)

puggirl Apprentice

Ok... Let me chime in.. Pugs are going to be a good choice for kids and other animals. Also if you need a hypoallergenic the Bichon Frise is great for families..Good Luck!!

• 5 weeks later...
Darn210 Enthusiast

Jenny, saw your av in the hot chocolate thread . . . what a cute new pooch!!! What did you name him/her?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JennyC Enthusiast
Jenny, saw your av in the hot chocolate thread . . . what a cute new pooch!!! What did you name him/her?

Thank you! We love him so much! The breeder named him Ty, and we did not change it. He already knew his name, and we could not decide on a better one.

Archived