This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-free Businesses

little-c

little-c Contributor

I have a question for you...

What type of gluten-free related business would you like to see start up in your neighborhood / hometown?

little_c

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Green Eyes Rookie

A Restaurant!!!!

Lisa Mentor

Pizza and Bakery!!!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

All of the above :D

Eliza13 Contributor

I would LOVE a coffee shop like Tim Hortons where I could get a coffee and gluten-free toast with Peanut butter! It would make breakfast 2000Xs easier!

ohsotired Enthusiast

I'll second the coffee shop - in fact, I have a dream of owning/running one that also does gluten-free baked goods. :) Someday............

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

i'll second (and third!) a coffee shop and pizza place. i'd love to have a restaurant nearby (that is not outrageously priced) where i can get some yummy bread and pizza! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nutrifoodie Apprentice

I want to start a whole chain of restaurants, coffee shops and bakeries that is allergy friendly.

Gluten free, soy free, dairy free, casein free, egg free, raw, vegan, vegetarian.

Gluten and soy would be my first priority... because not being able to have soy makes life REALLY hard. I thought gluten was hard...

Sweetfudge Community Regular

first of all, i love your pic little_c :)

I want to start a whole chain of restaurants, coffee shops and bakeries that is allergy friendly.

Gluten free, soy free, dairy free, casein free, egg free, raw, vegan, vegetarian.

Gluten and soy would be my first priority... because not being able to have soy makes life REALLY hard. I thought gluten was hard...

i would also enjoy eating somewhere that is allergy friendly. i was so excited when the pizza chain around here started carrying a gluten-free rice crust pizza, and they seemed knowledgable on CC issues. but, when i found out i couldn't eat dairy...had to cross that off my list. so, someplace that can deal w/ multiple intolerances would be great, i don't care what kind of food - i would eat it!

sugarsue Enthusiast

Neat question..... Pizza and Bakery for sure but also a totally gluten free grocery store. I would LOVE that, especially since my neighborhood does not have a health food store and I have to drive to the other side of town.

Susan

mushroom Proficient

"a totally gluten free grocery store"

Now there's an appealing concept!!!

mamabear Explorer
Pizza and Bakery!!!

Ditto!!!!!

SGWhiskers Collaborator

1 stop gluten free and allergy friendly hub. In my dream world:

Inexpensive restaraunt/cafe type eatery with a drive through window for coffee and hand held car foods. Then it would have the other half of the establishment as a gluten free, allergy friendly grocery/bookstore. This would all be on the corner of a major intersection instead of another gas station or CVS. Drive through in the morning, meet coworkers for lunch, and pick up ingredients for dinner on the way home. Maybe even takeout.

#1 wish in a restaraunt: Educated and consistent staff. CLEAN dishes

#2 ingredient listings: All ingredients used in preparing listed on the menu

#3 picture labeling: top 8 allergens color coded and gluten with a no sign through them for each item

#4 A la carte ordering

#5 Safe and yummy stuff for spouses/coworkers (A few items made with real milk, eggs, and nightshades, stuff that isn't likely to cause airborne reactions).

#6 Chocolate for all

Priced 15-20% over a regular restaraunt. I'm cheap, and I would stay home rather than pay too much extra.

little-c Contributor

Thanks for answering my question. All of your wishes are also on my wish list. I'm lucky to live in Milwaukee which does, in fact, have an all-gluten-free grocery store. I would LOVE to have a coffee shop. I think if I were to start my own business, I'd have to do something that had appeal to the non gluten-free world to be able to have a larger customer base. You know a butcher shop could be totally gluten-free and the rest of the world wouldn't even realize it. :) I think sometimes when something is labelled gluten-free (even though we love it and know it tastes good) those that are not gluten intolerant think the food will taste bad and won't even be willing to try it.

little-c Contributor
first of all, i love your pic little_c :) Thanks!

i would also enjoy eating somewhere that is allergy friendly. i was so excited when the pizza chain around here started carrying a gluten-free rice crust pizza, and they seemed knowledgable on CC issues. but, when i found out i couldn't eat dairy...had to cross that off my list. so, someplace that can deal w/ multiple intolerances would be great, i don't care what kind of food - i would eat it!

RiceGuy Collaborator

I'd like it if there was a gluten-free bulk foods place nearby. Someplace that had all the flours and other baking items, plus gluten-free grains, beans, etc, at reasonable prices. Maybe even a coop.

Archived