• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

mmmSmores

Wedding Question

Rate this topic

My brother is getting married at the end of January. There are 2 meal options, roast beef (probably with au jus (?)) and crab stuffed flounder. I'm positive the crab stuffed flounder is out of the question, but as for the roast beef, I am leaning towards that. He is my brother so I don't feel bad or rude about asking him to find out nutrition information from the caterer.

If they can't tell me what the ingredients are, should i not choose a meal and save them money? I won't have time to eat before hand because I'm in the wedding party and we will be busy all day. OR Do I just pick the roast beef so i'm not the only person without a meal?

I haven't even been gluten-free for 3 months yet, and I'm feeling very uneasy about dining out still.

Your brother might be busy with other preparations. Ask him how to reach the caterer and contact them yourself. Check and see if they can prepare a separate meal without gluten (au jus or seasonings) plain veggies or whatever is on the menu. It won't be as good, but it won't make you sick.

I always feel better when I am not depending upon other interpretations of my needs.

I agree. Contact the caterer. Most of them are pretty familiar with the gluten free diet, and can be pretty accommodating; in fact, my mom just recently got married and we are having a big bash for the all the extended family and friends and the caterer is going to have gluten free foods there just for me. :rolleyes: Now, you can be sure I'm going to go over it a million times, but she didn't have the deer in the headlights look, which is always a good sign.

I just got married two weeks ago and had a lot of people with different food issues. Most of them told me when they RSVP-ed about the issues and I brought them up during the final sit-down with my venue and catering. I had to put the item on their place card and they had to make sure to tell the server about their issue. It seemed to work out well.

Contacting the caterer might be the way to go, but I think they might listen more if it comes from your brother.

i went to a wedding a few weeks ago and i went ahead of time and talked to the hotel where the food was being prepared. they were able to go through the entire menu and we discussed what i'd be able to eat. the only problem was the woman forgot to mention the gluten-filled sauce they slathered all over the beef! :blink: i had to send it back and get a new plate with plain meat.

despite the inadvertent mistake, i definitely felt better going to the wedding knowing i'd be able to eat the food. ask your brother for the caterers phone number - it'll be better for you to discuss it directly with the caterer so nothing gets confused or mixed up.