Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease. Just trying to figure everything out. I read somewhere that sour cream may contain gluten. What ingredient would I look for if it contained gluten. Also, what about commercial sour creams from restaurants?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=12

Here is a link for safe and forbidden lists for celiacs that will help as a guideline.

Gluten can be hidden under alot of things like modified food starch, natural flavors, etc. so you have to learn brands that are safe or call about them if you see a questionable ingredient.

Daisy sour cream is gluten free.

At restaurants you can not assume anything is gluten free. There are some restaurants that have gluten free menus and others are not celiac friendly.

There are some companies like Kraft and General Mills that will not hide gluten under anything. Unless you see wheat,rye,barley, or oats on these labels then they are gluten free. (In the US this applies...not sure outside of US)

If you have any questions let me know and I would be happy to help. Good luck :D

Yes it can be tough at the beginning. I was so overwhelmed but it gets much easier with time. You will learn brands that you can have and you learn about ingredients that you need to watch out for.

If you need help with anything just ask :D