This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Jamba Juice/starbucks

jknnej

jknnej Collaborator

I thank my lucky stars for this board every day...

Does anyone know if Jamba Juice smoothies are gluten-free?

How about Starbucks? Regular/decaf coffee are gluten-free, right? What a about a nonfat vanilla latte?

I'm going out today and will come across these places...need to know if it's OK to get something!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I just called Starbucks less then 5 minutes ago...all of their beverages are gluten free except the Java Chip(the chocolate chips are not gluten-free) also the fappuccinos with the brownies are not gluten-free(obviously) he said most of those are discontinued but that if they still have them in some locations they are not gluten-free. All of their pastries are obviously not gluten free. I love their drinks though!!!!!!

jknnej Collaborator

Cool, thanks! Anyone know about Jamba Juice? I'm going to try to call but it is a Saturday...

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yep this is from their site

Does Jamba Juice offer gluten-free products?

Yep! All smoothies EXCEPT Jamba PowerBoost and Coldbuster

jknnej Collaborator

Wow! thanks..I just went to their site, too, but didn't find that...where on earth was I looking? thank you!!!!!!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

It's under the FAQ...I typed in are Jamba Juices gluten free in my search and it sent me to their FAQ page...now you know that you can have some of these wonderful drinks :D

jknnej Collaborator

Thanks; you're awesome!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator

Just make sure they clean out the blender, because peoiple before me get protein boosters, and once they didn't wash it out they just poured it and rinsed once, I got really sick then.

Thomas Apprentice

I would suggest not taking any type of protien or powders. I've noticed they use the same scoop/spoon when picking the powders. Just a suggestion.

jknnej Collaborator

I didn't think of the scoop issue; thanks for that tip!

According to their website, all but two of their boosts are in fact gluten-free. Only the Vibrant C blend and one other have gluten; the protein is gluten-free.

I had the protein last week in my smoothie and I feel fine.

But, if they mix the blender/scooper that could be a problem. I always ask them to make sure to clean the blender but I didn't think about the scoop...needless to say I might just stay away from the powders altogether.

I also noticed at one jamba juice the smoothies were all lined up directly underneath the powders, which were spilling quite a bit. Also, the employees were grabbing scoops and putting in in blenders, letting some of the contents fall into the freezer onto the sorbets and yogurts..that scared me a bit as well!!!

• 1 year later...
NicoleNYC Newbie

It's a year later and I've just gotten off the phone with Starbucks. Starbucks recommends us to stay away from products with chocolate in it. There is no gluten in the chocolate but it comes from a factory that has wheat in it.

Nicole

Moongirl Community Regular
It's a year later and I've just gotten off the phone with Starbucks. Starbucks recommends us to stay away from products with chocolate in it. There is no gluten in the chocolate but it comes from a factory that has wheat in it.

Nicole

On the starbucks issue, i didnt see this mentioned but they also have a malt frap that we need to stay away from, and always always ask them to clean out their blenders as well. Sometimes they just do a quick rinse, which doesnt get the residue off enough...but i love all their other drinks.

Nicole-

is it the chocolate in general or certain drinks, cause i know they have like a mocha frap and white chocolate mocha.....?

NicoleNYC Newbie

I gave up coffee in September so I don't make frequent trips to SB. Although I had a huge craving for a Cafe Mocha so I called the 1800 number..... The guy was super helpful and said everything was gluten-free but to stay away from everything that has chocolate. I asked if this included Cafe Mocha and he said yes. :( That being said, I'm assuming Mocha overall should be restricted.

He did point out that there is no gluten in the chocolate itself but the chocolate is made in a factory that handles wheat products. It's up to you to if you want to risk the whole contamination thing.

fanny Apprentice

Hi I was just diagnosed with celiac last week and it’s been very hard for me. My birthday is coming soon in May and I always have a birthday cake. Now that I have to stay in a gluten free diet I’m sad to thinking that I might not have a cake this year. Does anyone can recommend where to buy a birthday cake in NYC or a good recipe?thanks

penguin Community Regular
Hi I was just diagnosed with celiac last week and it’s been very hard for me. My birthday is coming soon in May and I always have a birthday cake. Now that I have to stay in a gluten free diet I’m sad to thinking that I might not have a cake this year. Does anyone can recommend where to buy a birthday cake in NYC or a good recipe?thanks

Aww...you can still have cake! In NYC, you're in the perfect spot! If you can't find it in New York, where CAN you find it?

There's a place called Babycakes in Manhattan, which I hear is good, though I've never been. Open Original Shared Link

Or you can make one with a mix, like Namaste or Pamela's! Most pillsbury frostings are gluten-free, just read the label. Welcome to the board!!! :lol:

kbtoyssni Contributor

My mum and I modified our old chocolate cake recipe to be gluten-free and it's delicious! I'll type it up for you tonight and post it. The first few weeks are the hardest because you still have to read every label and research all the ingredients. Give it a month or two and it will be a lot easier for you.

kbtoyssni Contributor

Here's my gluten-free Chocolate Cake recipe. It uses a mix of gluten free flours, which I've listed at the bottom.

Chocolate Cake

Place in bowl:

2 C gluten-free flour mix

2C sugar

½ tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

½ tsp baking powder

1 tsp xantham gum

½ tsp egg replacer

Bring to boil and add to bowl:

1 stick butter

5 Tbsp cocoa

1C water

Add:

2 eggs slightly beaten

½ C sour milk or buttermilk

1 tsp vanilla

Bake at 350ºF, 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean

FROSTING:

Heat and mix:

¼ stick butter

2 ½ Tbsp cocoa

3 Tbsp milk

Add:

1 Tbsp vanilla

1 ½ - 2 C powdered sugar, mix until smooth

½ C chopped nuts (optional)

Use more or less powdered sugar to get the right consistency to spread on cake

Spread frosting on warm cake

Gluten Free Flour Mix:

2 parts white rice flour

2/3 part potato starch flour

1/3 part tapioca flour

mookie03 Contributor

Wait a minute...dont mess with my Starbucks! :( Did he mention anything else that was risky (like the syrups?) or is it just the chocolate syrup? What about the caramel? I so wish Starbux would publish a list...

Wait a minute...dont mess with my Starbucks! :( Did he mention anything else that was risky (like the syrups?) or is it just the chocolate syrup? What about the caramel? I so wish Starbux would publish a list...

Just got off the phone (1-800-235-2883) with Starbucks customer service they stated that mocha or chocolate is gluten-free, however the company they buy the chocolate from runs the risk of cc because of shared lines. This includes drinks such as white choc mocha, or the mocha fraps.... ;) So drink at ur own risk!

fanny Apprentice
My mum and I modified our old chocolate cake recipe to be gluten-free and it's delicious! I'll type it up for you tonight and post it. The first few weeks are the hardest because you still have to read every label and research all the ingredients. Give it a month or two and it will be a lot easier for you.

Thank you so much, I appreciate all the help that you nice people are giving me. Some time I feel lost and overwhelm with everything that's happening. I'm also schedule to have my gallbladder remove on May 5th this was the reason that the doctor discover my celiac, very scary time. I have a one year old son and his is so important to me so i have to care of myself for him.

Aww...you can still have cake! In NYC, you're in the perfect spot! If you can't find it in New York, where CAN you find it?

There's a place called Babycakes in Manhattan, which I hear is good, though I've never been. Open Original Shared Link

Or you can make one with a mix, like Namaste or Pamela's! Most pillsbury frostings are gluten-free, just read the label. Welcome to the board!!! :lol:

Than you also I appreciate all your help.

Very happy to have found this message board.

Thank you so much, I appreciate all the help that you nice people are giving me. Some time I feel lost and overwhelm with everything that's happening. I'm also schedule to have my gallbladder remove on May 5th this was the reason that the doctor discover my celiac, very scary time. I have a one year old son and his is so important to me so i have to care of myself for him.

Than you also I appreciate all your help.

Very happy to have found this message board.

i had my gall bladder taken out 5 years ago, my GI thinks thats what triggered my Celiac's, anywho, dont worry its sounds worse then it is, if your getting it done laproscopic u will heal a lot faster, you will be sore so make sure u take those pain killers, it will feel like u just did 1000 sit ups. Heres a helpful hint when u feel strong enough get up and walk around the house a little it actually feels good. i remember they used some type of gas to expand my abdomen area, and they said it will dissolve away on its own but u can help it along faster if u walk around. it feels like a little gas pocket moving around, when u lie down it goes up to ur shoulder, doesnt hurt, but its not comfortable. also if ur watching something funny on tv, make sure u have a pillow on ur belly and put pressure on it, laughing as fun as it is, will make ur muscles ache. But believe me if ur gall bladder is giving u problems, u will feel 100 times better after its out!!!

wishing u a speedy recovery :)

mookie03 Contributor
Just got off the phone (1-800-235-2883) with Starbucks customer service they stated that mocha or chocolate is gluten-free, however the company they buy the chocolate from runs the risk of cc because of shared lines. This includes drinks such as white choc mocha, or the mocha fraps.... ;) So drink at ur own risk!

Thanks moongirl. Not exactly what i wanted to hear, but thanks for checking nonetheless...I would never have thought to verify w/ them, i thought all starbucks (except the obvious) were gluten-free. :(

Thanks moongirl. Not exactly what i wanted to hear, but thanks for checking nonetheless...I would never have thought to verify w/ them, i thought all starbucks (except the obvious) were gluten-free. :(

They were all gluten-free last year for the exception of the malt and brownie drinks, they must have done more digging into what was really in their drinks, so they can cover their behinds ;)

wendyvogt Newbie

Hi there,

This is my first post to this group but seeing as Starbucks has recently changed something that USED to be gluten free, I thought I should let people know. Starbucks told me previously that a vanilla-creme frappaccino (made with UBB + vanilla syrup) was gluten free. The vanilla bean was not gluten free due to contamination.

However, Starbucks no longer has UBB!! They now have something called CBB or Creme Beverage Base. This is no longer fat free (it is half-half) and I think they also changed other ingredients as well. The last time I was in Starbucks, I had the woman behind the counter read off the ingredients on the CBB and one of them was maltodextrin. Argh. I cannot even begin to tell you how disappointed I am...

So, I just called Starbucks and spoke with someone who is doing research on the ingredients in the CBB.

Will let you know when she gets back to me.

~wendy.

penguin Community Regular
However, Starbucks no longer has UBB!! They now have something called CBB or Creme Beverage Base. This is no longer fat free (it is half-half) and I think they also changed other ingredients as well. The last time I was in Starbucks, I had the woman behind the counter read off the ingredients on the CBB and one of them was maltodextrin. Argh. I cannot even begin to tell you how disappointed I am...

Maltodextrin is generally safe. :)

It sounds like it has WRBO in it, but it doesn't. I believe it's derived from corn.

Archived