Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

glutenfreebaker

Low Carb Gluten Free Baking?

I have been off gluten for about 2 yrs. I have learned how to cook gluten free. My problem is that gluten free flours contain alot of carbs. I've gained 15 lbs in the last 2 months. Is there anyone who knows how to cook gluten free and low carb at the same time? thanks for your help!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Bean flours have less carbs than rice flours. Also quinoa is a higher protein grain, and soy flour is also low in carbs. Another alternative is to use less flour.

Flourless peanut butter cookies and flourless chocolate cake are naturally low in starch (but not in fat or sugar!);

Flourless chocolate cake (my recipe);

http://www.recipezaar.com/110619

Flourless peanut butter cookies (planning to try these soon);

http://www.recipezaar.com/17943

Are you looking for truely low-carb or just moderate carbs? (Would you say more Atkins-like or more Zone-like, if you had to go by marketed diet names?)

If the later, there's a lot you can do - pick the lower carb, higher fat/protein flours and decrease sugar. Bean flours, and quinoa, amaranth, and buckwheat are all higher in protein and fiber and lower in carbs than things like tapioca, rice, and potato flours. Additionally, soy flour is much lower in carbs than most gluten-free flours. You can also make use of nut flours as well. Decreasing sugar content by either using a sugar substitute, or just adjusting your taste buds over time, helps as well.

If you're looking for truely low-carb, it gets more difficult, but still doable depending on what you're trying to make.

Catfish,

I have used that peanut butter cookie recipe with great success. I have even taken them to my daughters Church group, she is 4, and the kids all loved them. One of the teachers, who is so nice and always tries to include my daughter in the snack, used the recipe to make Peanut Butter kisses. ( You know the peanut butter cookie with the Hershey kiss) They also turned out great.

Laura