Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am a newly diagnosed DH. I have been gluten free (or trying) 7 months.

My question is...It is St.Patricks day and NOBEER (I know life could be worse.) and No corned beef!! Anyone have any suggestions on Corned beef and cabbage? I looked at the corned beef in Wal-Mart and the ingredient list on brand they carry says there are natural flavorings. Does anyone know if there are any stores that sell Gluten Free corned beef. I live in Ohio if that makes a diffence.

Thanks in advance.

Debbie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Unless it is something like a Honeysuckle turkey, don't buy meats at Walmart. They all have additives, even the beef. Try Winn Dixie, Saverite, or Kroger. Kroger's dieticians are great. I keep them on speed dial. They will be able to look up the name of the item and check to see if the ingredients are safe. Often they will even give me options. If you call, be sure to let them know that they were highly recommended by another celiac. I try to do that with companies that are good about helping so that they know it is appreciated and that the effort is bringing them business instead of turning it away.

According to Hormel's web site, their corn beef is gluten-free. Check it out by going to www.hormel.com and doing a search for "gluten free". It gives a listing of all their items.

Call companies. All the corned beef I've ever checked has been gluten-free, even with natural flavorings.

richard

When I go out to breakfast, I usually order corned beef because it is just somthing different to have. I have never had any problems with eating it, but is that somthing i should be worried about eating? Oh, and I never order the corned beef hash, because I am not really sure what is in it. Good luck. :)

The corned beef I'm talking about is in the meat case. Chunk of meat packed in juice with a spice packet you add. You cook it in water for hours. I'm not talking about the greasy squares of meat you get in a can (although I've also found them to be gluten-free).

richard

Corned Beef Hash is corned beef chopped up and mixed with chopped potatoes and then it gets cooked together. It is good, and I know that Marys Kitchen is gluten-free, but it is rather high in sodium and fat, so I limit how often I have it. Usually once every few months. It's really sort of funny at our house, because every time I cook some hash, my husband (who eats by choice a super low fat diet) always has to have some! The first time I made it I thought hewould have a heart attack just because I was eating it. When he asked for some I almost had a heart attack! :D

Anyhow, I agree with Richard on this one. Almost all the store bought packs of uncooked corned beef briskets with spice packets are gluten-free. If you are unsure of the particular brand you are looking at, then it is a good idea to call the company right then. Cellular phones are great for shopping!

God bless,

Mariann