This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Good News On My Son

cyberprof

cyberprof Enthusiast

I had my GI follow-up (yearly) today and my GI asked about my son. I was pleased that he remembered or at least that he had it in his notes. I explained that his blood test was negative, he hadn't gone into puberty at age 15, that he had the celiac gene and that as a result we had my son go gluten-free/dairy-free. Then I told the doc that my son, after being gluten-free/DF for 6 months went into puberty, the doc was really positive. He said that that was the best thing we could have done and said that celiac is a strong cause of delayed puberty and he thought it was very logical. This doc is the first one that hasn't rolled their eyes when I said we'd taken him gluten-free w/out positive test results (excepting enterolabs...). Even my son's pediatrician is skeptical and is just humoring me, I think.

I am most pleased that my son is having some progress, although he is still painfully thin. But he started growing in height again...he's 5'7" almost.

~Laura

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Really good news on both your son and your doc!

Darn210 Enthusiast

YaY Laura!! Glad you've got a GI "in the know". My daughter's got one, too. Seems like they're quite a rarity around here and I consider myself lucky.

. . . and your son gets to say 5'7' . . . my hubby is a hair past 5'9" and he tells everyone he's "about 5' 10" . . :P

Good luck with the weight gain . . . wish I could give him some of mine. :rolleyes:

cyberprof Enthusiast

Thanks Mushroom and Janet. I know that people here understand the frustration...

YaY Laura!! Glad you've got a GI "in the know". My daughter's got one, too. Seems like they're quite a rarity around here and I consider myself lucky.

. . . and your son gets to say 5'7' . . . my hubby is a hair past 5'9" and he tells everyone he's "about 5' 10" . . :P

Good luck with the weight gain . . . wish I could give him some of mine. :rolleyes:

Yes, Janet we joke saying that my son needs to gain the 30 pounds that I need to lose. He just this month got consistently over 100 pounds. He's been between 94 and 98 for 3 years. His doc says that's ok but I don't agree.

My GI doc is just ok, though, not perfect. When I was first diagnosed he said that because I didn't have visible villi blunting that I didn't have to be as strict. That was proved wrong as I got very sensitive as soon as I cut out gluten and now I react very strongly.

~Laura

ang1e0251 Contributor

Congrats on listening to your mother instincts to help your son. I think sometimes we get hung up on test results when our bodies are screaming at us. Your son is lucky you are looking out for him. There is another thread about breast tenderness where some posters said they increased in bust size after going gluten-free. They feel it was puberty finishing up with its job.

It seems every day I learn new things about this disease. I am thankful for celiac.com.

Archived