• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Since going gluten-free, there have been a few times, where I just wanted some real chips to go with my naked burger, or with my sandwich. I've switched to tortilla chips, or rice chips, all of the varieties, but it never completely scratches my itch for potato chips. Finally, i found what i've been looking for. Utz chips. Not the regular ones, but Utz Natural potato chips. It says right on the bag, THIS IS A GLUTEN FREE FOOD! They're made in Hanover, PA, which is right up the road from where I am. So if anyone out there has been craving a real potato chip and didn't want to risk it with brands that don't state gluten-free on the package....these are great, and normally priced too! They might only be sold in the mid-atlantic area, but i have found it to be a safe and cheap alternative...especially for parties, then you know you can eat them and glutenivore can't tell they are eating gluten-free food. they have lots of varieties, i prefer the reduced salt...perfectly salted.

Since going gluten-free, there have been a few times, where I just wanted some real chips to go with my naked burger, or with my sandwich. I've switched to tortilla chips, or rice chips, all of the varieties, but it never completely scratches my itch for potato chips. Finally, i found what i've been looking for. Utz chips. Not the regular ones, but Utz Natural potato chips. It says right on the bag, THIS IS A GLUTEN FREE FOOD! They're made in Hanover, PA, which is right up the road from where I am. So if anyone out there has been craving a real potato chip and didn't want to risk it with brands that don't state gluten-free on the package....these are great, and normally priced too! They might only be sold in the mid-atlantic area, but i have found it to be a safe and cheap alternative...especially for parties, then you know you can eat them and glutenivore can't tell they are eating gluten-free food. they have lots of varieties, i prefer the reduced salt...perfectly salted.

The vast majority of potato chips, real potato chips, are naturally gluten-free so for those that cannot find the brand your recommend, there are many

others to choose from which will not present a problem. It doesn't have to say gluten free on a package for it to be gluten free.

Hate to break it to both of you.. but your partly wrong.

Almost all brands are either not directly gluten-free, contain other common allergens (many celiacs cannot tolerate), or are cross-contaminated. Popular brands like Utz and Lays seem to be contaminated enough to hurt "moderately sensitive" celiacs.. While Kettle brand seem only to effect the more sensitive end.

Kettle brand is the most popular potato choice, there are a number of good brands of corn chips, and Cassava chips (Arico Foods brand) taste like flavorful potato chips.

It depends on where you get them. In Baltimore there is at least one spot that makes Utz fresh in the market while others are made at the factory (you can go on tours). I love them and eat them whenever I am in Maryland. Sometimes, my family orders them for gifts. We are 3 out of 4 Celiacs and do fine.

finding a chip without gluten is not as hard as finding one without msg in some form or another. It is getting almost impossible

to find snacks without this ingredient in som aka form. Is it common for someone with celiac to be so sensitive to msg as well

finding a chip without gluten is not as hard as finding one without msg in some form or another. It is getting almost impossible

to find snacks without this ingredient in som aka form. Is it common for someone with celiac to be so sensitive to msg as well

Most plain chips consist of potatoes, salt, and some form of oil. There is no MSG in them.

Flavored chips (especially BBQ) may contain MSG or some form of gluten.

Some people, including some people with celiac disease, react to MSG, but there is no correlation between the two sensitivities.