This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Heart Skipping

caek-is-a-lie

caek-is-a-lie Explorer

Before I stopped eating gluten, my heart was skipping quite frequently (like stopping for a couple seconds repeatedly) and I was diagnosed with an arrhythmia. Since then I've quit caffeine, which helps mostly, but it didn't totally go away until I went 100% gluten-free. Anyone else have this problem? I know my Celiac brother had this problem a few years before he was diagnosed. Could it be related?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

When they were trying to figure me out a few years ago I went to the docs for some more tests. He told my wife to get me to the ER right away since there was something wrong with my heart. Turned out it was atrial fibrillation which I guess is fairly common but I had never had trouble before and it took 3 days to get it back to sinus rhythm. After being diagnosed a month latter and going gluten-free, I never had another problem even with numerous stress tests.

I've seen some other messages on the forum from others who have had similar problems until they went totally gluten free.

Good luck

Ken

Before I stopped eating gluten, my heart was skipping quite frequently (like stopping for a couple seconds repeatedly) and I was diagnosed with an arrhythmia. Since then I've quit caffeine, which helps mostly, but it didn't totally go away until I went 100% gluten-free. Anyone else have this problem? I know my Celiac brother had this problem a few years before he was diagnosed. Could it be related?
julirama723 Contributor

Have you had your thyroid checked?

Heart arhythmia/palpitations was one of my symptoms for Graves Disease. My palpitations were not necessarily caused by gluten, but as we know, these autoimmune disorders are connected. Graves is an autoimmune disorder, so perhaps it's worth looking into?

caek-is-a-lie Explorer
Have you had your thyroid checked?

It was checked when I went to the ER for the palpitations. A few days later the doctor I saw said the results were exactly right in the middle of "normal" and so that wasn't the problem. But I never got to see the numbers myself. When I started seeing the Naturopath, they requested the results and it turns out I was just a tick away from hypothyroid according to the hospital's range and absolutely hypothyroid according to the Naturopath's range. Since then I've been on Armour thyroid and feel much better. So maybe that was it, not the gluten intolerance. I was tested for any autoimmune thyroid disease but the results were negative (whew!) I suppose it's an easy trap to fall into blaming everything on gluten. It's such a nice scapegoat, isn't it? lol

flourgirl Apprentice

I had a real bad time with arhythmia before I was diagnosed. Did the halter monitor and all kinds of tests. As near as we can figure it was caused by malnutritiion, specifically low folate and B's. Since I've been on the diet for a year I don't notice this as being a problem anymore.

Archived