This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mascara

watkinson

watkinson Apprentice

Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good gluten-free waterproof mascara?

Thanks, Wendy :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TiredofTums Rookie

Hi Wendy! I am new to this site and did not even think about Mascara! Darn! Having this disease is not fun at all! So many things that have hidden gluten and we don't know what does and what doesn't! Kind of bad when we have something like this that makes us sick! And i wonder how many of us are out there that are not even diagnosed yet! Maybe somebody will come along and give us an answer. I know I have been wearing Great Lash all these years because the price was so good but have no idea what it has in it! Thanks for bringing this up!

Linda

:huh:

Hi,

Lisa16 Collaborator

Mascara is one of the most challenging items to find gluten-free. It is also very important because there is some thought on this board that you can absorb gluten through mucous membranes, like the lining of the eyelids. If you are not as sensitive you may find mascara is not an issue for you-- then you have oodles to chose from.

Sadly, I have not found a 100% safe waterproof type mascara. I have contacted tons of companies, including some very upscale brands.

Right now the ONLY mascara I know of that is 100% gluten-free certain is NARS. It comes in two colors-- brown ("bamboo") and black. You can get it on Sephora. But it is not waterproof at all.

Good luck and if you find one let me know.

Lisa

Lisa16 Collaborator

Sorry-- I went back into old emails and found two more. However, I am not sure they are available on the American market. They are from Guerlain and they answered me only a few months ago.

Here they are:

Mascara Le 2 : G040 665

Mascara Maxi Lash : G040 122

I am not sure if they are waterproof. I will go see if Sephora has them....

Good luck!

debmidge Rising Star

Warning

Avon makes a great Wash-off waterproof but I don't know if it's gluten free. Any Avon ladies here to verify?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I use Estee Lauder's MagnaScopic. Although I don't know for sure if it is waterproof I never had an issue with it running. It also is soy free if memory serves.

• 1 month later...
joda586 Newbie

Why would it matter if mascara had gluten in it? You can not absorb gluten through your hair ... and many articles I've read says that the gluten molecule is too big to be absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream anyway (though i tend to err on the side of caution and avoid it anyway). Have any of you ever had a reaction to mascara? Just wondering!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star
Why would it matter if mascara had gluten in it? You can not absorb gluten through your hair ... and many articles I've read says that the gluten molecule is too big to be absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream anyway (though i tend to err on the side of caution and avoid it anyway). Have any of you ever had a reaction to mascara? Just wondering!

As far as I know, the eyes, nose & throat are connected and flakes of mascara could in theory get into eye and perhaps connect up with nose & throat and then be ingested. Any thoughts from anyone else?

cupid Newbie

I like Bobbi Brown(sold @ Lord & Taylor). I used Estee Lauder Magnascopic but it burned my eyes.

hermitgirl Contributor

Not trying to be gross about it but think about it this way. Your tear ducts and your sinuses are connected. Anything that goes into your sinuses has the opportunity to drain down the back of your throat and into your digestive tract. The eye is a mucus membrane that has potential to spread viruses and bacteria to the body.

www Newbie

The reaction is a burning or irritating of your eyes. They will feel overly dry and you'll find yourself blinking quite a bit. Avons mascara is gluten-free.

climbmtwhitney Apprentice

Hi.

I wrote to Bare Escentuals (see below) and most of their mascara's are gluten free. I, stupidly, was using the Big Tease mascara from Bare Escentuals and it contains wheat. No wonder I live on Visine. Grr. Honestly, I don't know if I'm reacting to it (other than constant red, itchy eyes) because I still have SO much healing to do. Maybe it's holding me back, who knows?

Anyway, their waterproof gluten-free mascara is called Weather Everything. I use it in the summer and it works great.

Jill

Dear Jillian,

Thank you for contacting Bare Escentuals. I would be happy to answer your question for you.

We take great pride in the quality of our products. Most bareMinerals products are gluten free. This includes bareMinerals foundation, all-over face colors, blushes, eyeshadows, glimmers, glimpses, liner shadows, brow minerals and body minerals. Many of our i.d. Bare Escentuals products are also gluten free, including most lip products.

The Big Tease Mascara does contain Wheat. However, our Classic, Magic Wand Brushless, and Weather Everything Mascaras do not contain any gluten products.

We hope this is helpful, but please do not hesitate to contact us with any additional questions you may have via email or by phone at 1-888-795-4747 during our business hours Monday through Saturday 5 AM to 9 PM, Sunday 7 AM to 4 PM Pacific Time.

Customer satisfaction is Bare Escentuals #1 priority; we appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Warmest Regards,

Christi

Bare Escentuals Beauty Associate

Phone: 1.888.795.4747

www.bareMinerals.com

GFLisa Newbie

Thank you so much for this thread! I stopped wearing mascara awhile ago because it was bothering me. Well the other day I bought a new tube of Great Lash and put it on and my eyes ended up red and watery. A lash ended up in my eye (while driving! I apologize to anyone I may have inadvertently run off the road) and it was a big nightmare. I ended up having a skin reaction like I do when I have gluten, but did not have any GI symptoms. I think now I'll triple check for gluten free mascara just to be on the safe side.

OBXer Rookie
Hi,

Don't know if you ever found a gluten free waterproof mascara, but I've been using Estee Lauder Double Wear Zero Smudge Mascara (can't tell the difference between this mascara and waterproof). Just got the email from Estee Lauder regarding the ingredients today. Here's what they said:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in Est

• 3 months later...
lpjourney Rookie
Warning

Avon makes a great Wash-off waterproof but I don't know if it's gluten free. Any Avon ladies here to verify?

Found a link to Avon's gluten-free list pdf format:

Open Original Shared Link

JmeD Newbie

I have also read this, and been told it can not be absorbed through skin... but as for myself I seem to be very sensative to it because whenever I use topical products that contain gluten, I break out or swell up. I had been using shampoo and conditioner with gluten, and my back, scalp and chest broke out... plus my old face wash, lotion and make up all contained gluten and when I use them my face swells like I am going into anaphylactic shock. Which is really hot when I am trying to look good to go out! I always have to take a benadryl and go to bed instead. Then the next morning I will have big painful pimples all over my forehead and hair line. (and my eyes stay puffy for a good day, then just red... I have been really workin' it lately!)

I have started using gluten free products on my skin, and my skin is clearing up dramatically. Plus my eyes aren't swelling up like a bee skin victim. I still don't really know what products to use... this has all been in the last two weeks, but as for myself I have to use gluten free products. I am still looking for some safe make-up, and a safe facial lotion...

• 3 weeks later...
Crayons574 Contributor

Anything that goes onto your body goes into your body. And gluten-containing products can especially aggravate people with DH or sensitive people who react very easily to gluten.

Gemini Experienced
I have also read this, and been told it can not be absorbed through skin... but as for myself I seem to be very sensative to it because whenever I use topical products that contain gluten, I break out or swell up. I had been using shampoo and conditioner with gluten, and my back, scalp and chest broke out... plus my old face wash, lotion and make up all contained gluten and when I use them my face swells like I am going into anaphylactic shock. Which is really hot when I am trying to look good to go out! I always have to take a benadryl and go to bed instead. Then the next morning I will have big painful pimples all over my forehead and hair line. (and my eyes stay puffy for a good day, then just red... I have been really workin' it lately!)

I have started using gluten free products on my skin, and my skin is clearing up dramatically. Plus my eyes aren't swelling up like a bee skin victim. I still don't really know what products to use... this has all been in the last two weeks, but as for myself I have to use gluten free products. I am still looking for some safe make-up, and a safe facial lotion...

With this type of reaction, it's most likely an allergic reaction, not a true Celiac reaction. Swelling and hives are not something which happen with the internal, autoimmune reaction. You have to ingest, through the mouth, into the GI tract to spark a Celiac reaction. It's also very common for people to have a wheat allergy on top of Celiac Disease so this may explain your symptoms.

I do not screen topical products for gluten, except the lip products and I am asymptomatic and my blood work is all good. Many Celiacs successfully do this also because it cannot be absorbed through the skin. It's pretty standard medical science. I don't know why many still believe it can.

Archived