This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Christmas Eve Hors D'ouevres

emcmaster

emcmaster Collaborator

Does anyone have any ideas for make-ahead hors d'ouevres?

I'm planning on crudites with hummus and dips.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Easy..

Gluten free chutney or pepper jelly over cream cheese, served with Glutino Crackers.

Cheese and fruit tray

Crustless quiche squares

Hillshire Farms Mini links - grape jelly and BBQ Sauce - heated in chaffing dish

Marinated shrimp

Grilled pork tenderloin - served with honey mustard

Wheel of Brie, topped with brown sugar and sliced almonds - lighly broiled and served with

crackers or apple slices.

Gluten free ginger snaps with brie - yummmmm

psawyer Proficient
Glutino Crackers.

Have you tried them? I saw them for the first time in a store recently where I was buying other Glutino products. I was tempted, but for the moment, at least, resisted. I have never found a Glutino product that I didn't like, but often the price is a stopper. Great pretzels, but I already have a mortgage!

Lisa Mentor

The crackers are good, but you need some cheese that "speaks" to overcome the blah. I keep a box or two in my freezer for guests.

jerseyangel Proficient

Funny about personal taste :lol:

I really liked the Glutino crackers--I thought they were flaky and kind of buttery-tasting. :P

emcmaster Collaborator

Wow! Thanks for the great ideas!

Lisa Mentor

I really liked the Glutino crackers--I thought they were flaky and kind of buttery-tasting. :P

Patti, I never liked bread or crackers before gluten free. Thought it all was "blah". (ain't I the lucky one ;) )

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
Patti, I never liked bread or crackers before gluten free. Thought it all was "blah". (ain't I the lucky one ;) )

Yeah--that's probably why----they're good, but pretty standard as crackers go. The surprising thing to me was that they didn't taste "gluten-free". :) I think I expected them to be dry and hard.

gfmolly Contributor
Does anyone have any ideas for make-ahead hors d'ouevres?

I'm planning on crudites with hummus and dips.

Thanks!

I absolutely love rumaki. (Bacon-wrapped chestnuts) You can use gluten-free soy for the marinade.

happygirl Collaborator

Warm spinach and artichoke dip

Hickory Farms (sausage, cheese, dips)

Cold shrimp with cocktail sauce

(and I love the Glutino crackers - they are worth trying, Peter)

amybeth Enthusiast

Everyone has great suggestions...I'm getting hungry!!!

How about:

Fruit dip made with strawberry cream cheese, marshmallow fluff and kool whip

buffalo chicken dip with celery, fritos, and corn tostitos

(dip reheats well in microwave if you prep ahead)

Chocolate covered potato chips (ruffle variety works best) and glutino pretzels -- add sprinkles over the chocolate if you want them to look festive.

Wonka Apprentice
I absolutely love rumaki. (Bacon-wrapped chestnuts) You can use gluten-free soy for the marinade.

Have you ever tried dates stuffed with chevre cheese, wrapped in bacon and baked in the oven? Oh my!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Chocolate covered potato chips (ruffle variety works best)

Do people actually DO this?!?!

purple Community Regular

Me too! I use homemade bbq sauce-ketchup, brown sugar and garlic powder...mmm.

nutrifoodie Apprentice

mini meatballs, in a gluten free sweet sauce :D

super fun, and easy. supply tooth picks!

julirama723 Contributor

Some ideas:

**deviled eggs

**jalapeno poppers (I make mine without breading. Scoop seeds out of halved jalapenos, mix with cream cheese and shredded cheese. Put cheese mix back into jalapeno halves, wrap with bacon. They are HOT but soooooo tasty. People prefer these over the breaded ones!)

**buffalo wings (Cook chicken tenders/wings/drummettes, coat with a mix of hot sauce and butter. Serve with celery and dip.)

**homemade chocolate covered cherries

Sweetfudge Community Regular

I also am a fan of the Glutino crackers. They're great topped with tuna for an emergency lunch.

Wow, all these ideas are making me hungry! I think chocolate covered anything is great! Maybe set out a fondue bowl or small crockpot filled w/ chocolate and various things to dip in it :) Although I suppose this would be more like a dessert idea...but I'd eat it!

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

Does anyone know if Little Smokies are gluten free?

Wonka Apprentice
**jalapeno poppers (I make mine without breading. Scoop seeds out of halved jalapenos, mix with cream cheese and shredded cheese. Put cheese mix back into jalapeno halves, wrap with bacon. They are HOT but soooooo tasty. People prefer these over the breaded ones!)

I'm definitely going to try this idea. Yum.

Lisa Mentor
Does anyone know if Little Smokies are gluten free?

Hillshire Farms Little Smokies are gluten free. ;)

amybeth Enthusiast

I thought chocolate covered potato chips were gross --- until I tried them. The sweet and salty combo is delish --- think chocolate covered pretzels, but slightly different. ;)

purple Community Regular

Last night I took some vanilla wafers ("Cooking Free" recipe) out of the freezer and put PB between them. Then I melted choc chips to cover the sandwiches, chilled them to harden the chocolate. I didn't get to try them but my dd said they were really good several times. I have to make more soon.

These would be gluten-free/df/egg free.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

One of my all time favorites at the holidays are the beef and cream cheese logs that get sliced up and put on a cracker. I don't know what they're called, but if you've had them you know what I'm talking about! It's dried beef laid out in a big rectangle and then you "frost" the beef with cream cheese, line up green olives at one end, then roll it all up and then slice it and serve it on crackers. Since we're a gluten-free household (my son is the Celiac, not me), I didn't plan on eating that any time soon (I don't really care for the Glutino crackers too much.). Then I went to a holiday party that was a cooking class and we made Olive Surprises. They are so yummy! You take a large green olive and smoosh cream cheese around it to make a ball that completely covers the olive. Then roll the balls in walnuts that have been run through the food processor. Oh my gosh! If you like that sort of thing these are amazing! :D Yum! Yum! Yum!

Also, I've been eating cheese slices on Crunchmaster crackers (from Sam's Club) for lunch a lot. The crackers are very crunchy and salty enough to satisfy a salt craving. They'd make an excellent holiday tray. You could also make a honey mustard to dip them in.

Chex Mix is always good with me. We use Rice Chex, Corn Crunch Ems, Gorilla Munch, Glutino pretzels, honey nut "O" type cereal (can't remember the brand, not Perky Os though) and nuts.

Fruit and a fruit dip are always wonderful.

Also from the cooking class...cute little mini corn bread muffins (using the mini muffin tins) with a slice/chunk of hotdog dropped into the center before baking. Make it look really cool by drizzling ketchup and mustard in swirls on the platter before putting the "corn dogs" on top. You can make them ahead of time and then warm them up at party time.

Lastly...a slice of granny smith apple and a slice of brie cheese wrapped in salami. Sounded awful to me, but again, one of my favs!

OK, I want to throw a party now!!!

lizard00 Enthusiast
Have you ever tried dates stuffed with chevre cheese, wrapped in bacon and baked in the oven? Oh my!

The other day I made bacon wrapped dates. My husband is a sucker for dates and I'm a sucker for bacon. It was wonderful!!! Pre non-dairy days I used to stuff them with Havarti. But chevre sounds like it would be really good. I'll have to try that next. Thanks for the suggestion!

MollyBeth Contributor

Every time I taste the pretzels I think they taste buttery! They are so delicious!! I'm on a missions now to find the crackers. I haven't found a cracker yet that I like.

Before I was diagnosed I loved eating salmon and cream cheese on crackers and 'm missed it since making the gluten free switch.

Archived