• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

ConfusedLexi

What You Would Like That Is Gluten Free, Your Choice! Question

Rate this topic

Ummmm.........

Auntie Anne's soft pretzals

Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (My favorite childhood recipe calls for this. I have yet to find a decent substitute.)

Kashi cereals

Light fluffy cinnamon rolls

Spinach and Cheese Ravioli

Veggie Egg Rolls

Cressants (or however you spell it!)

Ice cream cake

...I could keep going but I'm going to stop before I get sad. It's just a pain to have to make EVERYTHING from scratch and have half of the recipes completely and utterly fail!

...sigh...

Alot of the items mentioned so far seem great but I'd love to see them without rice/corn/soy/gluten:

Croissants

Bread

English Muffins

Poptarts

Ravioli

Lasagna

Fettucine

Mannicoti

Stuffed Shells

Twinkies

Nutter Butters

Frosted Cakes

Frosted Cupcakes

White Chocolate

Soy Sauce

Terriyaki Sauce

Gravy (all on the market now contain corn, soy or rice)

Instant Mashed Potatoes, Frozen Fries and such (most contain soy or heavy cc risk)

Confectioner's Sugar (except for Trader Joe all contain Cornstarch)

Ketchup

Pizza Crust

Eventhough I can make over half the list myself it can be very time-consuming and inconvenient.

If I was to make a "wish list" of sorts, I suppose one of the items I'd like is a gluten-free version of Triscuits.

I have got to agree with Riceguy on this one!! Mmmm how I long for some Triscuits and Colby Cheese!!!

Alot of the items mentioned so far seem great but I'd love to see them without rice/corn/soy/gluten:

Croissants

Bread

English Muffins

Poptarts

Ravioli

Lasagna

Fettucine

Mannicoti

Stuffed Shells

Twinkies

Nutter Butters

Frosted Cakes

Frosted Cupcakes

White Chocolate

Soy Sauce

Terriyaki Sauce

Gravy (all on the market now contain corn, soy or rice)

Instant Mashed Potatoes, Frozen Fries and such (most contain soy or heavy cc risk)

Confectioner's Sugar (except for Trader Joe all contain Cornstarch)

Ketchup

Pizza Crust

Eventhough I can make over half the list myself it can be very time-consuming and inconvenient.

If you buy your stuff at passover time, approx april, and you get Kosher for Passover and NON GEBROKTS, they will be free of ALL your allergens. I know it is another three months, but i buy for hte whole year some stuff, coz i know there is no way any cc... I am not saying anything about the cost though ;)

Shipley's glazed donuts chicken nugget or chicken sandwiches from Chick Fila....and bagels

I would have said Panera's french bread but I actually found a French bread recipe that tastes like it! I'm happy for the next 6 months :P ...but the donuts....no replicas of those

Saltines. And Ritz crackers. What's the point of finding Heinz tomato soup that tastes like Campbell's and is gluten-free if I can't crumble a whole sleeve of saltines into it? Sigh.

This might sound grose??? But I made Chili last week and I usually crush saltines in my chili and as I was eating it with my 6 year old we both decided to crush up some rice chex cereal into our chili. Let me tell you, it wasn't so mad, lol. I didn't mind it at all. Of course I miss saltines, but you have to do what you have to do right? Just wanted to let you know what I did. don't know how it would taste with tomato soup but you never know. Hope I didn't grose anyone out by saying crush rice chex cereal into your soups, haha.

Merry Christmas

If you buy your stuff at passover time, approx april, and you get Kosher for Passover and NON GEBROKTS, they will be free of ALL your allergens. I know it is another three months, but i buy for hte whole year some stuff, coz i know there is no way any cc... I am not saying anything about the cost though ;)

Thankee Shan :D About how long will food bought this way last without spoiling? Will I be safe ordering far ahead?

Thankee Shan :D About how long will food bought this way last without spoiling? Will I be safe ordering far ahead?

How/where do you order this stuff?!

i just go to a shop that sells kosher stuff, and any premixes, like stuffing and coating things, or brownie and truffle mixes etc, have a sell by date for approx 15 months. I spend plenty $$$$$ and buy for the whole year. I also buy all my spices, packet soup mixes etc then coz it has much fewer additives and msg. Basically anything that i have the smallest chance of eating during the year, i buy in bulk. Also, they have a load of long-life cake that i buy, that i use in emergency (like when i give birth in a few weeks, that will be my weeks off for all the premade stuff ;) )

And the pasta that is for passover - generally egg noodles - i find it is not as good, but each taste to their own :D:D

You asked where you can order it on line, sorry folks i haven't got a clue on that one, although apparently, walmart and all those big shops do bring in a collection of some sort that is kosher for passover, and then you can check the website... Sorry can't help more....

i just go to a shop that sells kosher stuff, and any premixes, like stuffing and coating things, or brownie and truffle mixes etc, have a sell by date for approx 15 months. I spend plenty $$$$$ and buy for the whole year. I also buy all my spices, packet soup mixes etc then coz it has much fewer additives and msg. Basically anything that i have the smallest chance of eating during the year, i buy in bulk. Also, they have a load of long-life cake that i buy, that i use in emergency (like when i give birth in a few weeks, that will be my weeks off for all the premade stuff ;) )

And the pasta that is for passover - generally egg noodles - i find it is not as good, but each taste to their own :D:D

You asked where you can order it on line, sorry folks i haven't got a clue on that one, although apparently, walmart and all those big shops do bring in a collection of some sort that is kosher for passover, and then you can check the website... Sorry can't help more....

Congratulations on your upcoming addition Shan :D May he or she bring you much joy through the coming years :D

I don't know if they sell non-gebrokt specifically but http://www.kosher.com sells some already made kosher stuff as well as http://www.shabtai-gourmet.com. Unfortunately both sometimes take awhile to get stuff to you.

I need them to be egg free/nut free as well.

Triscuits!!!!

goldfish crackers

ritz crackers

oreos (Kinnikinick has some that are k, but there is a cc risk with eggs. Jo Sef has some but they aren't sweet enough.)

Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts.

saltines

yellow cake that doesn't have the consistency of pound cake.

Chips Ahoy cookies. (I can make a wonderful chewy choc chip cookie. I want a crunchy one now. greedy, greedy!)

croissants

phyllo dough

I do feel greedy making this list. There are so many things that my family CAN eat, that we all love. This is list is more like icing on the cake!

All right... I thought of one. Gluten-free, dairy-free croissants.

I am a croissant SNOB :P I haven't even dared to try the gluten-free breads because I just can't imagine they're going to be anything like the original. Croissants are the ultimate in gluteny goodness. So light and flaky. And with chocolate in the middle...

Ohhhh... and baklava. That texture with all the layers of phyllo dough... mmmm.

I am so with you on this. I don't know when the last time was I had a croissant roll was, Oh yeah over a year or more.

How about gluten free shredded wheat. Haha never happen. Loved that ceral.

Meat Ravioli

Affordable frozen veggie and pasta (veggie and rice, with chicken anything but with some good sauces and flavoring) microwave meals. I miss good tasting, affordable convenience meals!

Egg noodles. I miss egg noodles for beef stroganoff. Rice just doen't cut it.

Egg noodles. I miss egg noodles for beef stroganoff. Rice just doen't cut it.

If interested, here's a recipe for sorghum egg noodles, I haven't tried it yet

http://www.twinvalleymills.com/pages/recipes.html#eggnoodles