This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutino Bagels

GFqueen17

GFqueen17 Contributor

ive been craving a bagel! so i kinda wanna buy the glutino ones but i dont want to waste my money. are they good? how close are they to a real bagel?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

They are tolerable but not "real". When we finally got them in Hawaii it was kind of a celebration after 3+ bageless years

after diagnosis. I guess for me a bad bagel was better than no bagel.

ive been craving a bagel! so i kinda wanna buy the glutino ones but i dont want to waste my money. are they good? how close are they to a real bagel?
psawyer Proficient

I have not found anything that mimics the bagels I used to eat when I was eating poison. The Glutino ones are the closest I've found. They're acceptable.

Glutino English Muffins are just like the wheat ones I once ate.

ohsotired Enthusiast

Personally, I REALLY like the Glutino bagels! But then, I haven't had a real bagel in years, even though I was only dx'd a few months ago......avoidance, and all that.

So if you're craving them, go ahead and spend the money - I don't think you'll be sorry!

Just a tip on preparing them, though.......

I microwave them for about 30-40 seconds so they're just soft enough to slice, then throw them in my gluten-free toaster. I tried putting them under the broiler at first, and I not only burnt myself when trying to slice it, I ended up burning the bagel as well. :angry: As expensive as they are, you don't want to waste them!

neesee Apprentice

I love Glutino bagels. Go ahead and buy them. You won't be sorry. I like mine toasted with cream cheese and chives.

neesee

buzzard Newbie

Too expensive BUT I buy them all the time because they taste good and make a great bun with a hamburg or hot dog but they must always be toasted.

rmmadden Contributor

I like 'em......Also great with Lox & Cream Cheese. Good to use for sandwiches and hanburgers as well.

Cleveland Bob B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...
SeanInNYC Newbie

I used to really love Glutino bagels, but within the past month or so, they've changed their recipe.

Now, instead of being somewhat lighter and almost airy, they are dense and heavy.

I won't buy them anymore.

If they ever change the recipe back, I used to prepare them like the poster above: Micro for 30 seconds to slice, then toast.

Halfway through, and after, the toasting, I would crush the bagels. The crust gets insanely hard during toasting, and the manual crushing of the crust makes the eating of it more enjoyable for me.

But as I said before, they've changed their recipe, and their toasted bagels are like bricks now. :(

GFLisa Newbie

I don't like them. :ducks: I have some Enjoy Life ones here that I can't bring myself to taste because I don't want to be disappointed again.

whitball Explorer

They used to taste okay, but now they have an odd smell. It's hard for me to tolerate them.

GFqueen17 Contributor

Yeah I bought them and theyre alright...not like real bagels but not terrible. However, i didnt realize until after i bought them that they arent dairy free and i try to stay away from dairy.

larry mac Enthusiast

Of course they are nowhere near as good as real bagels, but they are surprisingly edible. Probably the closest thing to a bagel as you're gonna get. The Glutino english muffins are really good though!

I defrost my frozen gluten-free bread products carefully. Microwave on one side for ten seconds, then the other side for ten seconds. And so on until just defrosted, but still cold. Then toast. gluten-free baked goods, such as the bagels and english muffins, don't take well to buttering before toasting like I prefer. I've tried but it takes forever to brown.

best regards, lm

ThatlldoGyp Rookie

Here is my favorite gluten-free bakery... and now that I can order online I don't have to "road trip" it for bread (Like going to NY is really a hardship, lol!). They just added bagels!!

Try these, you will NOT be disappointed. I can personally vouch for the cinn. raisin and the multigrain bread as well! I order products from them with a group of people to help with the s&h

Open Original Shared Link

To top it off ALL products are wheat, gluten, dairy and nut free!! I have frozen these products for up to 3 months without any problems with taste, etc. that can happen.

Happy Eating!

TedL Newbie

Joan's Gluten Free Great Bakes makes the most realistic bagels in my opinion:

Open Original Shared Link

The only downside is that they take a long time to make. You have to bake them in the oven (or toaster oven) prior to toasting. The flavor and texture are excellent though.

Regards,

Ted L.

GFLisa Newbie

Now that I finally tried the Enjoy Life bagels the Glutino ones don't seem so bad. I think I'm going to try those Le Garden ones though, they look delicious!

amybeth Enthusiast

I started a thread the other day on bagels, before I saw this one.....

I just had my first bagel from Joan's gluten-free Great Bakes, and I have to say it definitely resolved my craving for a great bagel! Shipping was $$$, so I'm trying to find a store nearby that carries them (Nearest I see on the list is a 40 minute drive from here)......

It did take 25 minutes +, but after several years without my bagel and pineapple cream cheese fix, I think it was definitely worth the wait. Pretty sure the 5 pack will be gone before Monday rolls around. (Yikes!)

buffettbride Enthusiast

my daughter and hubby are big fans of the glutino w/ sesame seeds bagels.

• 2 months later...
hannahp57 Contributor

i like kinnikkinikk. they have great taste and are lighter than a regular bagel, which is a good thing for me because i wouldnt be able to finish it otherwise. i didnt care for glutino because of the heaviness

Archived