eeyore

Soy Intolerance

Rate this topic

What are the symptoms of soy intolerance?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I believe they wil probably be different for each person. For me, I developed a bright red itchy rash on my torso from my neck down. This was from all the soy in the gluten replacement foods I consumed.

Are things like sharp abdominal pains symptoms? And would there be anything special associated with things like constant back pain and joints cracking, or constant fatigue? I'm already off gluten and casein.

Soy gives me backache and stomach discomfort. It is getting better since I started the Specific Carb Diet(SCD) but then soy is one of the things that is not permitted on the diet for the very reason that a lot are intolerant of it.

Processed soy stuff is pretty evil. The Japanese eat a lot of it but they have it fresh and fermented in the way of miso, tempeh and tofu. We just have it 'mucked about with'!

I also find it VERY mucous-forming.

I see this all the time on here - people asking about intolerances to other foods - it is so common I wish we could put a banner at the top of the page to just direct people straight to the SCD. It would cut all those constant unrelenting questions from those who just don't know where to turn!

Whilst there are a few that may get better after dropping gluten, by far the majority don't, or improve a little then get stuck or even go backwards. Gut dysbiosis and rogue bacteria in the digestive tract, whilst initially knocked back after their gluten food source is removed soon transfer and adapt to new ones like soy, or corn and come back with a vengeance.

We've all been there. The SCD, by removing the long-chain carbs that feed them helps get them under control and encourages the body to heal. Much of the gluten-free foods out there just keep the damage going - it is only by removing it all that we stand any chance of recovering properly.

There is a lot of testimented evidence that the SCD works and those of us on here who are following are gradually getting better. Check out the SCD thread on this section and for more info 'breaking the vicious cycle' and 'Pecanbread' are the best sites about the diet itself and why it works.

Soy gives me backache and stomach discomfort. It is getting better since I started the Specific Carb Diet(SCD) but then soy is one of the things that is not permitted on the diet for the very reason that a lot are intolerant of it.

Processed soy stuff is pretty evil. The Japanese eat a lot of it but they have it fresh and fermented in the way of miso, tempeh and tofu. We just have it 'mucked about with'!

I also find it VERY mucous-forming.

I see this all the time on here - people asking about intolerances to other foods - it is so common I wish we could put a banner at the top of the page to just direct people straight to the SCD. It would cut all those constant unrelenting questions from those who just don't know where to turn!

Whilst there are a few that may get better after dropping gluten, by far the majority don't, or improve a little then get stuck or even go backwards. Gut dysbiosis and rogue bacteria in the digestive tract, whilst initially knocked back after their gluten food source is removed soon transfer and adapt to new ones like soy, or corn and come back with a vengeance.

We've all been there. The SCD, by removing the long-chain carbs that feed them helps get them under control and encourages the body to heal. Much of the gluten-free foods out there just keep the damage going - it is only by removing it all that we stand any chance of recovering properly.

There is a lot of testimented evidence that the SCD works and those of us on here who are following are gradually getting better. Check out the SCD thread on this section and for more info 'breaking the vicious cycle' and 'Pecanbread' are the best sites about the diet itself and why it works.

Being allergic to soy is hard.

I get very uncomfortable, make me feel wicked sick, gastro/intenstine symptoms.

and I feel like crap.

lol. being soy free is so nice though

Ads by Google:

I never thought about the mucous -I've had a constantly stuffed nose and just assumed it was allergies. I guess it might not be.

I think that's exactly what's happening to me. I got a little better, then started getting worse and came to a standstill. A lot of the things I'm eating now have soy in them.

I've been reading the SCD thread with great interest, but wouldn't it make sense to have a whole forum for SCD discussions? At 67 pages the one thread feels in danger of collapsing under the strain! and it's hard for newbies to find the basic info in there.

anyone else agree?

I think we might need some suggestions from the moderators in terms of the best way to manage. SCD belongs in this forum because it is gluten free, but how to organize it in this forum is the question. We've already started a dedicated thread for recipes for SCD.

Hear, hear, Sherry. There are of course, dedicated SCD websites with their own forums, but there are so many struggling on here that would benefit from the diet that it would be hard to abandon it for other climes.

I just wish we could put a banner at the top of every section to direct people to it first before they end up posting yet another desperate question or plaintiff cry!

An SCD section on its own would be the best option, then those who are curious could investigate and those who know about it would be able to go straight to it.

It would be good to have some kind of description at the top of the section somehow to describe what the diet is and how it can help those who are still sick after going gluten-free.

Perhaps if enough of us appeal to Scott, he might just consider it............

In terms of soy intolerance, I agree that symptoms will be individual. What I did at about the 3 month mark Gluten-free Casein-free, was do some elimination testing. I eliminated all the grains first and then challenged them one by one. Rice seemed pretty ok, just a mild response. Corn was pretty iffy. I added in rice, and then eliminated all the legumes. I retested peanut, soy, and lima bean, maybe another couple. Soy made me ill for 24 hours. Don't remember all the symptoms, I'd have to review my notes. Peanut also was a problem.

My next idea was to eliminate the nightshades but I never got around to it.

After eliminating soy, I improved. I also went corn lite, and avoided peanut.

At the 15 month mark, my doctor put me on SCD. I had another very clear jump forward in healing. It was the most distinct of all the changes, including gluten-free.

All that to say, probably you will have to eliminate and challenge soy to see if it makes a difference for you.

Ads by Google:

Would really dry skin be a symptom?

Soy gives me some stomach and back pain. And usually has a laxative effect on me as well. I had been gluten free for a year and doing fine until one week were I consumed a significantly larger amount of soy, combined with an out of the ordinary amount of stress. I then figured out that soy was a problem for me. I am on the SCD and doing much better.

Dry skin could be linked - it is difficult to say as we all react differently.

Are you getting enough good fats? The body needs enough fat to work effectively - the brain is apparently at least 60% fat.

Contrary to popular opinion some fats that are considered good, like corn oil and sunflower are actually not beneficial to the body as they are usually highly processed.

Good fats conversely include some mainly condemned by the 'experts' - butter, animal fats, coconut oil and olive oil are beneficial. We need a certain amount of saturated fat. What controls cholesterol is not fat, otherwise those cultures that exist on 50% or more fat like the Inuit, would have high cholesterol, which they don't - what pushes cholesterol up is carbohydrates and refined sugars. Fats can contribute to it but only when eaten with high-carb and/or high-sugar.

Sorry, you may already know this but I thought I would post it for the benefit of others reading this thread!

I just posted about having severe bloating and distention, I realise that I have been eating mostly CARBS and MEAT and SOY , the more I eat the sicker I get so then I cant stand in the kitchen chopping vegitables. So What is the Diet? I stay away from Dairy and all nuts , Fish due to severe food alergies.

thnx

LL

I just posted about having severe bloating and distention, I realise that I have been eating mostly CARBS and MEAT and SOY , the more I eat the sicker I get so then I cant stand in the kitchen chopping vegitables. So What is the Diet? I stay away from Dairy and all nuts , Fish due to severe food alergies.

thnx

LL

Hi LL.

The Specific Carbohydrate Diet is based on good basic food groups - meat, fish, poultry, veggies, fruit, nuts, raw honey and plain live yogurt for gut flora restoration. It removes grains and starches that contribute to the gut damage and encourage rogue bacteria, yeasts and parasites. Anything processed or 'mucked about with' is not permitted, either.

Many of us have problems with carb digestion and often very low stomach acid which inhibits the digestive process and contributes to all kinds of health issues. As Hippocrates said, "all disease begins in the gut". Get the gut right and everything else will follow. For those with a very poor digestion the diet starts with gentle foods like cooked carrots and chicken then gradually increases the range as the gut starts to heal and is able to cope with more.

If you would like to know more there is an SCD thread on this section (up to 71 pages and still going!!) and two good sites to look at are the official SCD site 'breaking the vicious cycle' and 'Pecanbread', which although it is aimed for kids with autism has a lot of interesting info for the benefit of all with many health issues. There are quite a few SCD websites popping up now too as the diet gains popularity, with loads of tasty recipes.

There is also an SCD recipe thread in the 'recipes' section on this forum.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask anything on the SCD thread - we are all 'muddling' through together and discovering the benefits of the diet as we go. Certainly we are all much better on it than off it! Most people who follow this diet are able to achieve recovery eventually, although it may take some time depending on the degree of damage. Better slow recovery than no recovery!

Ali.

Thank you so much. Problem is I am allergic to so many things. That is also the Cross contamination issue. So i need to find people whom also have all these food allergies and are on this diet.

thnx

ll

Many of us suffer with different food intolerances and allergies - they are not going to necessarily be exactly the same as yours, but that doesn't matter. We all react differently because we are different. We all react slightly differently because we have issues with different foods. We all react differently because we are dealing with slightly differing gut dysbiosis, and bacteria, and gut damage, and Leaky Gut issues. Collectively we will all have all of the issues but we will not all have the same ones at the same time!

The point is that they are all down to the same thing, so whatever your health issues, intolerances and allergies are, they can all be helped by the SCD. The important thing is to get the gut healed and once it is no longer permeable and letting the allergens through the allergies will very likely diminish or even stop.

There is nothing to be suspicious of. There is no ulterior motive. You don't have to pay for any expensive remedies or treatments. The only thing that is required for the healing process to start, is a change of diet. The type of diet we eat can very much contribute to getting us into the mess and diet can also get us out of it.

If you really want to know if others on the SCD have similar issues to you, then try posting them on the SCD thread and see what others come back with.

Is it possible to tolerate Soy Milk (Silk) and not tolerate Soybean Oil (vegetable oil)? It seems that may be the case with my toddler.

It may be highly likely - although they are both highly processed, the oil is processed in a different way to the milk so there could be some chemical or changed element in the procedure that affects him.

Personally I would rather avoid anything with processed soy of any kind in it. Although soybeans used in the traditional way by the Japanese of soaking and fermenting (tofu, tempeh and miso) is reasonably good food, processed soy is not. The phytates are not removed during the process either and the whole process can render it at best a food empty of vital nutrients and enzymes, and at worst, toxic to the body.

Almond milk and Coconut milk may be better options (I make my own Coconut milk, and delish it is too - my method is in the SCD recipe thread in the Recipes section if you are interested in trying that). Rice milk and oat milk may be other options although fairly high carb and possibly fattening.

Soy definitely cause chronic fatigue for me. If I eat too much soy I feel like something is choking me. Too much soy oil and I have terrible indigestion or vomiting. The fatigue is the worst. I am usually full of energy but soy can make so tired I can't get out of bed. Sometimes I get joint pain with it. I haven't found anyone who takes my problems with soy oil seriously because they say that you can't be allergic to soy oil - my body says otherwise.

Are things like sharp abdominal pains symptoms? And would there be anything special associated with things like constant back pain and joints cracking, or constant fatigue? I'm already off gluten and casein.

Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   13 Members, 1 Anonymous, 972 Guests (See full list)

• Top Posters +

• Recent Articles

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/18/2018 - Celiac disease has been mainly associated with Caucasian populations in Northern Europe, and their descendants in other countries, but new scientific evidence is beginning to challenge that view. Still, the exact global prevalence of celiac disease remains unknown.  To get better data on that issue, a team of researchers recently conducted a comprehensive review and meta-analysis to get a reasonably accurate estimate the global prevalence of celiac disease. 
    The research team included P Singh, A Arora, TA Strand, DA Leffler, C Catassi, PH Green, CP Kelly, V Ahuja, and GK Makharia. They are variously affiliated with the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts; Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi, India; Innlandet Hospital Trust, Lillehammer, Norway; Centre for International Health, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway; Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts; Gastroenterology Research and Development, Takeda Pharmaceuticals Inc, Cambridge, MA; Department of Pediatrics, Università Politecnica delle Marche, Ancona, Italy; Department of Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York; USA Celiac Disease Center, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York; and the Department of Gastroenterology and Human Nutrition, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India.
    For their review, the team searched Medline, PubMed, and EMBASE for the keywords ‘celiac disease,’ ‘celiac,’ ‘tissue transglutaminase antibody,’ ‘anti-endomysium antibody,’ ‘endomysial antibody,’ and ‘prevalence’ for studies published from January 1991 through March 2016. 
    The team cross-referenced each article with the words ‘Asia,’ ‘Europe,’ ‘Africa,’ ‘South America,’ ‘North America,’ and ‘Australia.’ They defined celiac diagnosis based on European Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition guidelines. The team used 96 articles of 3,843 articles in their final analysis.
    Overall global prevalence of celiac disease was 1.4% in 275,818 individuals, based on positive blood tests for anti-tissue transglutaminase and/or anti-endomysial antibodies. The pooled global prevalence of biopsy-confirmed celiac disease was 0.7% in 138,792 individuals. That means that numerous people with celiac disease potentially remain undiagnosed.
    Rates of celiac disease were 0.4% in South America, 0.5% in Africa and North America, 0.6% in Asia, and 0.8% in Europe and Oceania; the prevalence was 0.6% in female vs 0.4% males. Celiac disease was significantly more common in children than adults.
    This systematic review and meta-analysis showed celiac disease to be reported worldwide. Blood test data shows celiac disease rate of 1.4%, while biopsy data shows 0.7%. The prevalence of celiac disease varies with sex, age, and location. 
    This review demonstrates a need for more comprehensive population-based studies of celiac disease in numerous countries.  The 1.4% rate indicates that there are 91.2 million people worldwide with celiac disease, and 3.9 million are in the U.S.A.
    Source:
    Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018 Jun;16(6):823-836.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2017.06.037.

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/16/2018 - Summer is the time for chips and salsa. This fresh salsa recipe relies on cabbage, yes, cabbage, as a secret ingredient. The cabbage brings a delicious flavor and helps the salsa hold together nicely for scooping with your favorite chips. The result is a fresh, tasty salsa that goes great with guacamole.
    Ingredients:
    3 cups ripe fresh tomatoes, diced 1 cup shredded green cabbage ½ cup diced yellow onion ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro 1 jalapeno, seeded 1 Serrano pepper, seeded 2 tablespoons lemon juice 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar 2 garlic cloves, minced salt to taste black pepper, to taste Directions:
    Purée all ingredients together in a blender.
    Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. 
    Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, as desired. 
    Serve is a bowl with tortilla chips and guacamole.

Dr. Ron Hoggan, Ed.D.
    Celiac.com 06/15/2018 - There seems to be widespread agreement in the published medical research reports that stuttering is driven by abnormalities in the brain. Sometimes these are the result of brain injuries resulting from a stroke. Other types of brain injuries can also result in stuttering. Patients with Parkinson’s disease who were treated with stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus, an area of the brain that regulates some motor functions, experienced a return or worsening of stuttering that improved when the stimulation was turned off (1). Similarly, stroke has also been reported in association with acquired stuttering (2). While there are some reports of psychological mechanisms underlying stuttering, a majority of reports seem to favor altered brain morphology and/or function as the root of stuttering (3). Reports of structural differences between the brain hemispheres that are absent in those who do not stutter are also common (4). About 5% of children stutter, beginning sometime around age 3, during the phase of speech acquisition. However, about 75% of these cases resolve without intervention, before reaching their teens (5). Some cases of aphasia, a loss of speech production or understanding, have been reported in association with damage or changes to one or more of the language centers of the brain (6). Stuttering may sometimes arise from changes or damage to these same language centers (7). Thus, many stutterers have abnormalities in the same regions of the brain similar to those seen in aphasia.
    So how, you may ask, is all this related to gluten? As a starting point, one report from the medical literature identifies a patient who developed aphasia after admission for severe diarrhea. By the time celiac disease was diagnosed, he had completely lost his faculty of speech. However, his speech and normal bowel function gradually returned after beginning a gluten free diet (8). This finding was so controversial at the time of publication (1988) that the authors chose to remain anonymous. Nonetheless, it is a valuable clue that suggests gluten as a factor in compromised speech production. At about the same time (late 1980’s) reports of connections between untreated celiac disease and seizures/epilepsy were emerging in the medical literature (9).
    With the advent of the Internet a whole new field of anecdotal information was emerging, connecting a variety of neurological symptoms to celiac disease. While many medical practitioners and researchers were casting aspersions on these assertions, a select few chose to explore such claims using scientific research designs and methods. While connections between stuttering and gluten consumption seem to have been overlooked by the medical research community, there is a rich literature on the Internet that cries out for more structured investigation of this connection. Conversely, perhaps a publication bias of the peer review process excludes work that explores this connection.
    Whatever the reason that stuttering has not been reported in the medical literature in association with gluten ingestion, a number of personal disclosures and comments suggesting a connection between gluten and stuttering can be found on the Internet. Abid Hussain, in an article about food allergy and stuttering said: “The most common food allergy prevalent in stutterers is that of gluten which has been found to aggravate the stutter” (10). Similarly, Craig Forsythe posted an article that includes five cases of self-reporting individuals who believe that their stuttering is or was connected to gluten, one of whom also experiences stuttering from foods containing yeast (11). The same site contains one report of a stutterer who has had no relief despite following a gluten free diet for 20 years (11). Another stutterer, Jay88, reports the complete disappearance of her/his stammer on a gluten free diet (12). Doubtless there are many more such anecdotes to be found on the Internet* but we have to question them, exercising more skepticism than we might when reading similar claims in a peer reviewed scientific or medical journal.
    There are many reports in such journals connecting brain and neurological ailments with gluten, so it is not much of a stretch, on that basis alone, to suspect that stuttering may be a symptom of the gluten syndrome. Rodney Ford has even characterized celiac disease as an ailment that may begin through gluten-induced neurological damage (13) and Marios Hadjivassiliou and his group of neurologists and neurological investigators have devoted considerable time and effort to research that reveals gluten as an important factor in a majority of neurological diseases of unknown origin (14) which, as I have pointed out previously, includes most neurological ailments.
    My own experience with stuttering is limited. I stuttered as a child when I became nervous, upset, or self-conscious. Although I have been gluten free for many years, I haven’t noticed any impact on my inclination to stutter when upset. I don’t know if they are related, but I have also had challenges with speaking when distressed and I have noticed a substantial improvement in this area since removing gluten from my diet. Nonetheless, I have long wondered if there is a connection between gluten consumption and stuttering. Having done the research for this article, I would now encourage stutterers to try a gluten free diet for six months to see if it will reduce or eliminate their stutter. Meanwhile, I hope that some investigator out there will research this matter, publish her findings, and start the ball rolling toward getting some definitive answers to this question.
    Sources:
    1. Toft M, Dietrichs E. Aggravated stuttering following subthalamic deep brain stimulation in Parkinson’s disease--two cases. BMC Neurol. 2011 Apr 8;11:44.
    2. Tani T, Sakai Y. Stuttering after right cerebellar infarction: a case study. J Fluency Disord. 2010 Jun;35(2):141-5. Epub 2010 Mar 15.
    3. Lundgren K, Helm-Estabrooks N, Klein R. Stuttering Following Acquired Brain Damage: A Review of the Literature. J Neurolinguistics. 2010 Sep 1;23(5):447-454.
    4. Jäncke L, Hänggi J, Steinmetz H. Morphological brain differences between adult stutterers and non-stutterers. BMC Neurol. 2004 Dec 10;4(1):23.
    5. Kell CA, Neumann K, von Kriegstein K, Posenenske C, von Gudenberg AW, Euler H, Giraud AL. How the brain repairs stuttering. Brain. 2009 Oct;132(Pt 10):2747-60. Epub 2009 Aug 26.
    6. Galantucci S, Tartaglia MC, Wilson SM, Henry ML, Filippi M, Agosta F, Dronkers NF, Henry RG, Ogar JM, Miller BL, Gorno-Tempini ML. White matter damage in primary progressive aphasias: a diffusion tensor tractography study. Brain. 2011 Jun 11.
    7. Lundgren K, Helm-Estabrooks N, Klein R. Stuttering Following Acquired Brain Damage: A Review of the Literature. J Neurolinguistics. 2010 Sep 1;23(5):447-454.
    8. [No authors listed] Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Weekly clinicopathological exercises. Case 43-1988. A 52-year-old man with persistent watery diarrhea and aphasia. N Engl J Med. 1988 Oct 27;319(17):1139-48
    9. Molteni N, Bardella MT, Baldassarri AR, Bianchi PA. Celiac disease associated with epilepsy and intracranial calcifications: report of two patients. Am J Gastroenterol. 1988 Sep;83(9):992-4.
    10. http://ezinearticles.com/?Food-Allergy-and-Stuttering-Link&id=1235725 
    11. http://www.craig.copperleife.com/health/stuttering_allergies.htm 
    12. https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/73362-any-help-is-appreciated/
    13. Ford RP. The gluten syndrome: a neurological disease. Med Hypotheses. 2009 Sep;73(3):438-40. Epub 2009 Apr 29.
    14. Hadjivassiliou M, Gibson A, Davies-Jones GA, Lobo AJ, Stephenson TJ, Milford-Ward A. Does cryptic gluten sensitivity play a part in neurological illness? Lancet. 1996 Feb 10;347(8998):369-71.

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/14/2018 - Refractory celiac disease type II (RCDII) is a rare complication of celiac disease that has high death rates. To diagnose RCDII, doctors identify a clonal population of phenotypically aberrant intraepithelial lymphocytes (IELs). 
    However, researchers really don’t have much data regarding the frequency and significance of clonal T cell receptor (TCR) gene rearrangements (TCR-GRs) in small bowel (SB) biopsies of patients without RCDII. Such data could provide useful comparison information for patients with RCDII, among other things.
    To that end, a research team recently set out to try to get some information about the frequency and importance of clonal T cell receptor (TCR) gene rearrangements (TCR-GRs) in small bowel (SB) biopsies of patients without RCDII. The research team included Shafinaz Hussein, Tatyana Gindin, Stephen M Lagana, Carolina Arguelles-Grande, Suneeta Krishnareddy, Bachir Alobeid, Suzanne K Lewis, Mahesh M Mansukhani, Peter H R Green, and Govind Bhagat.
    They are variously affiliated with the Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, and the Department of Medicine at the Celiac Disease Center, New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, New York, USA. Their team analyzed results of TCR-GR analyses performed on SB biopsies at our institution over a 3-year period, which were obtained from eight active celiac disease, 172 celiac disease on gluten-free diet, 33 RCDI, and three RCDII patients and 14 patients without celiac disease. 
    Clonal TCR-GRs are not infrequent in cases lacking features of RCDII, while PCPs are frequent in all disease phases. TCR-GR results should be assessed in conjunction with immunophenotypic, histological and clinical findings for appropriate diagnosis and classification of RCD.
    The team divided the TCR-GR patterns into clonal, polyclonal and prominent clonal peaks (PCPs), and correlated these patterns with clinical and pathological features. In all, they detected clonal TCR-GR products in biopsies from 67% of patients with RCDII, 17% of patients with RCDI and 6% of patients with gluten-free diet. They found PCPs in all disease phases, but saw no significant difference in the TCR-GR patterns between the non-RCDII disease categories (p=0.39). 
    They also noted a higher frequency of surface CD3(−) IELs in cases with clonal TCR-GR, but the PCP pattern showed no associations with any clinical or pathological feature. 
    Repeat biopsy showed that the clonal or PCP pattern persisted for up to 2 years with no evidence of RCDII. The study indicates that better understanding of clonal T cell receptor gene rearrangements may help researchers improve refractory celiac diagnosis. 
    Source:
    Journal of Clinical Pathologyhttp://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jclinpath-2018-205023

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/13/2018 - There have been numerous reports that olmesartan, aka Benicar, seems to trigger sprue‐like enteropathy in many patients, but so far, studies have produced mixed results, and there really hasn’t been a rigorous study of the issue. A team of researchers recently set out to assess whether olmesartan is associated with a higher rate of enteropathy compared with other angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARBs).
    The research team included Y.‐H. Dong; Y. Jin; TN Tsacogianis; M He; PH Hsieh; and JJ Gagne. They are variously affiliated with the Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston, MA, USA; the Faculty of Pharmacy, School of Pharmaceutical Science at National Yang‐Ming University in Taipei, Taiwan; and the Department of Hepato‐Gastroenterology, Chi Mei Medical Center in Tainan, Taiwan.
    To get solid data on the issue, the team conducted a cohort study among ARB initiators in 5 US claims databases covering numerous health insurers. They used Cox regression models to estimate hazard ratios (HRs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs) for enteropathy‐related outcomes, including celiac disease, malabsorption, concomitant diagnoses of diarrhea and weight loss, and non‐infectious enteropathy. In all, they found nearly two million eligible patients. 
    They then assessed those patients and compared the results for olmesartan initiators to initiators of other ARBs after propensity score (PS) matching. They found unadjusted incidence rates of 0.82, 1.41, 1.66 and 29.20 per 1,000 person‐years for celiac disease, malabsorption, concomitant diagnoses of diarrhea and weight loss, and non‐infectious enteropathy respectively. 
    After PS matching comparing olmesartan to other ARBs, hazard ratios were 1.21 (95% CI, 1.05‐1.40), 1.00 (95% CI, 0.88‐1.13), 1.22 (95% CI, 1.10‐1.36) and 1.04 (95% CI, 1.01‐1.07) for each outcome. Patients aged 65 years and older showed greater hazard ratios for celiac disease, as did patients receiving treatment for more than 1 year, and patients receiving higher cumulative olmesartan doses.
    This is the first comprehensive multi‐database study to document a higher rate of enteropathy in olmesartan initiators as compared to initiators of other ARBs, though absolute rates were low for both groups.
    Source:
    Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics