• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

mmmSmores

Banana Bread Recipes?

Rate this topic

Does anyone know a good gluten-free banana bread recipe? I'm trying to cut costs this christmas and was going to make a few to give as gifts.

I'm not home right now, but I have a fantastic recipe--I'll post it later :)

Here's my favorite that I've posted a few times. I haven't gotten much feedback on the board, but my family drools over it and I have to make lots or there will be fighting.

Banana bread-makes two loaves

1 cup sorghum flour

1 cup arrowroot starch

1 cup buckwheat flour (or quinoa flakes)

1 tsp salt

1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder

2 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 tsps xanthan gum

6 eggs

6 very ripe bananas, I freeze mine and thaw, they're sweeter

1/2 cup honey, more if you like it sweeter

Preheat oven to 375.

Mix all wet & dry separately, then together. Mix very well, has a tendency to clump because of the buckwheat. I just realized I'm not sure how long it took to bake.... I think maybe 45 min? I dunno, it won't give in the middle when it's done. Use the fork test.

This was SO GOOD. Especially toasted, it even has that slightly gooey bit at the very top-center like a normal banana bread. I also put chocolate chips in one loaf, WHOO boy! Now THAT'S dessert.

Side note: Last time I baked it, it took 50 min. My oven is persnickety, just start looking at it after 40 mins. Once it doesn't give in the center when touched use the fork test.

Sounds delicious....but I have a problem...i'm really trying to do this on a budget (in the process of being laid off) I was going to use all purpose gluten-free flour...would the measurements be the same?

I made this last night since I had some Bob's Red Mill gluten-free rolled oats that I don't like. I put them in my coffee grinder to make flour with them

http://www.recipezaar.com/Sugar-Free-Glute...na-Bread-296040

and it was pretty good. It took 7 eggs to get the 1 cup of whites, so then I used the yolks and made this

http://www.landolakes.com/mealIdeas/ViewRe...?RecipeID=11071

which was also pretty good.

For a real treat, take your banana bread and use it for french toast. Top it with this

http://www.recipezaar.com/Buttermilk-Syrup-16717

Walt

Does anyone know a good gluten-free banana bread recipe? I'm trying to cut costs this christmas and was going to make a few to give as gifts.

Hi here's a Banana Bread recipe thats WF gluten-free DF it's so easy and it's delicious.

I've used it as dessert warm and covered in custard.

gluten-free WF DF Banana Bread

Best Regards,

David

Sounds delicious....but I have a problem...i'm really trying to do this on a budget (in the process of being laid off) I was going to use all purpose gluten-free flour...would the measurements be the same?

Don't see why not, I like the flavor buckwheat lends, that's all. Your all-purpose might have xanthan gum in it already though, so watch out for that.

I make this recipe a couple times a month: http://www.eatingglutenfree.com/recipes_bread/#bananabread

(also copied and pasted below)

DH and I eat it for breakfast every day. It's very good! Plus the recipe makes 3 loaves at a time :) they freeze wonderfully! You can find the flour mixes here: http://www.eatingglutenfree.com/gluten_free_recipes/#gfmix

Gluten Free Banana Bread

4 c. featherlight mix

1 c. gluten-free mix

2 tsp. xanthan gum

2 c. sugar

7 tsp. baking powder

2 tsp. salt

6 Tbs. oil

1 1/2 c. milk

2 eggs

2 c. mashed bananas

2 c. chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350

I like this one...

Banana Bread

1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas

1/3 cup oil

2 eggs, lightly beaten

2 cups rice or bean flour blend

3/4 cup brown sugar

1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

2/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

1.Mix mashed bananas, oil, and eggs together in a large bowl and beat well.

2.In a separate bowl, combine gluten-free flour mix, brown sugar, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir into banana mixture. Stir in chopped walnuts if desired.

3.Pour into oil sprayed loaf pan (or four 2x5 mini loaf pans). Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes (45 minutes for mini-loafs) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Banana bread is a good place to start with gluten-free baking since the mashed bananas add moisture and flavor. I've made a regular wheat flour b-bread recipe subsituting with rice flour and xantham gum before, and it comes out pretty good. With other wheaty recipes, the straight rice flour doesn't work as well.

I'll also throw in a mashed banana when I make gluten-free pancakes, too.