This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Really Painful Dry Skin Every Time This Year!

mr. moore

mr. moore Explorer

it's on my hands, on the knukles and knuckles of my fingers, were there's wrinkles. its so painful no cream helps like permanantly. does this have to do with celiacs? it only happens in the winter times.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kylie Explorer
it's on my hands, on the knukles and knuckles of my fingers, were there's wrinkles. its so painful no cream helps like permanantly. does this have to do with celiacs? it only happens in the winter times.

Unless you have DH form of celiac, I think it is just classic winter dry skin. I have dry skin all year round from being in a pool so much, but in the winter it gets really bad, especially on my hands. I know its girly, but if you take a basin of warm water, put in baby oil, and soak your hands, it will help a lot. It works like a charm for me, better than any lotion.

Candy Contributor

Try using only moisture soap on your hands; put vaseline petrolatum jelly on your hands then a pair of gloves at night;use hand creme profusely,try getting some without perfume-that might burn and sting.Maybe use plastic gloves if you wash dishes. Stuff like that. Maybe someone else more informed about the symptoms of Celiac may be able to tell you if it's related to Celiac Disease. I have dry skin too,but it's related to Sjogren's Syndrome which many Celiacs get too.

purple Community Regular

I am thinking you may need some fish oil supplements.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Coconut oil is great for the skin. You could apply it directly, but even better, use it in place of all butter/margarine, and for all cooking and baking. It is solid at room temperature, but melts easier than butter. Tastes fabulous on every food I've used it on or in. You can even make mayonnaise with it. Open Original Shared Link I've ever tasted.

Vitamin B12 is also good for the skin, as is vitamin E, and other things too.

kbtoyssni Contributor

My mum used to get really dry, cracked skin, and her doctor gave her some prescription cream for it - a steroid I think. She was also very careful not to soak her hands in water, and wears rubber gloves for everything.

MollyBeth Contributor

I get really dry skin too. I use cocoa butter religiously and it helps quite a bit. Also you should put lotion on right after you get out of the shower. I can't remember why but I remember my doc telling me that once. I think it will absorb moisture better then or something...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

there's nothing that you'll be able to use for a week and not have to use again - the skin is dynamic. especially if you're in a cold climate, the indoor humidity in heated buildings is so low that it just sucks the moisture right out of your skin. so you have to keep using moisturizer of some kind. getting more healthy fats in the diet can help - fish oil is a great one! I also tend to use shea butter (a little more useful consistency at room temperature than pure cocoa butter, but I also make my own mix by blending the two with essential oils as well, just for fun) but whatever works for you is what matters. you may find that - at home, particularly overnight - using a humidifier will help. I would make sure you have a hygrometer as well (measures humidity), so you don't keep it so humid as to encourage mold growth, but not so dry as what the heater does to the air.

Archived