Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa16

Rules To Live By So You Can Avoid Getting Glutened

I just recently realized that calling the manufacturer trumps internet research. When you are considering a product to buy, calling the company right there in the grocery store to check means you have the latest info. The call usually takes about 1-2 minutes. Some of my internet research meant looking at posts that were YEARS out of date. If you prefer to rely on internet research, make sure you go to the manufacturer's website and check the date it was late updated.

For newbies, I would also recommend you start your journey with figuring out what you will miss first. I knew that I would miss pizza and brownies, so I figured those out first. There are some GREAT gluten-free brownie mixes out there! My nutrition improved exponentially and I now cook gluten-free for myself and my daughter all the time, bake my own alternative flour breads and graham crackers. All that came with time. At first, I really needed to stick with what was familiar to me from my gluten-eating days.

Breakfasts are hardest at first, because I think that is when the gluten-eating world eats the most gluten. Try straight ahead substitutions, like teff cereal in place of hot cereal or make gluten-free muffins from a mix. Expand from there.

I don't know if this was the case with every celiac, but I spent the first two month of my diagnosis really hungry all the time. Know that that will pass as you figure out how to get fiber without wheat.

I found that social events are easy if you keep talking as the focus and keep something to drink - like a bottled water - in your hand. There is something about seeing hands without something in them that makes hosts or host-in-waiting to feel they need you to get a snack from the refreshment table.

For restaurants, I eat ahead, even if it is one or two cold baked potatoes from my purse while I'm in the parking lot (no kidding!) and just have wine while everyone else eats.

Just because you wish it were gluten-free, doesn't make it so. Go with your "gut instinct". Even if the label doesn't list wheat products, if it seems like it would/should have wheat, hold off on it until you can call the manufacturer.

Even if it doesn't contain wheat, it may contain barley, because barley isn't one of the ingredients that has to be listed no matter how small the amount.Some manufacturers list barley in any amount, but not all do.

But that can't be true. Because I ate some Safeway seasoning that made me super sick and it didn't say "wheat" on it, but it did have "spices" in it and when I called they said it contained gluten. You can't get away from the hidden gluten in labeling where it's used as a thickener or binding agent. They should be required to specifically cite "gluten" on labeling, not just "wheat". I don't think the rules are strict enough.

Barley may not be listed if the amount is "small".

If you have pets and you are feeding them regular pet food, be very careful. Scrub your hands and fingernails or use gloves. Be careful not to stick your arm in the bag and get crumbs on your sleeve. Better yet, get someone else in the family to feed them. Be careful about hugging them or letting them lick you or especially letting them lick a child who needs to be gluten free.

Be careful about kissing your sweetie who may have just had cereal or a sandwich.

Always, always take your own food. That means to social events, family gatherings and restaurants. Nothing is worse than arriving and finding nothing safe to eat. It's OK if you take your own food and then don't need to eat it. But it's hell to be starving and everyone is eating and drinking and laughing around you.