• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

motoko

Skin Reactions

Rate this topic

have been gluten-free since June, still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of the diet, as well as my own reactions.

In the past few years of non-gluten-free eating I had noticed that from time to time I would get red flushed patches on my chest, not itchy or raised, just flushed, which would fade after a few hours. I also occasionally would get a small swollen red patch or two in the vicinity of my mouth. These weren't blisters, felt more like a mild bug bite or like a pimple forming, and also would disappear after a few hours. Both were a total mystery to me, but I didn't think about it much as it was fairly infrequent and not particularly uncomfortable or annoying.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same things - I hadn't had either for a while and then recently had recurrences of both at different times when I was eating out during the holidays and probably was mildly glutened. Neither reaction sounds like the descriptions I've read of DH, though, so I don't think it's that.

yes this happened to me, usually on my ribs - flushed, sometimes almost orange color with increased perceived temperature. Mostly in places that baked their own bread, like bakery/cafes - I wonder if it was airborne flour or something? Or just that I was eating a lot of gluten at once?

My chest gets flushed when I take a hot shower. This is common for people with rosacea. Just like you described, it's not itchy and it goes away in a few hours.

The mouth rash could be something else... maybe a true (IgE) allergic reaction. Have you ever had any allergy testing like a skin prick test?