• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

princessnoel

Chick Beer

Rate this topic

A glass of Sprite plus a shot (or two) of vodka and a splash of lemon juice. It's quick because everything comes out of a bottle and it tastes VERY similar to Mike's Hard Lemonade when you get the proportions right. I used to drink this all the time before I acquired a taste for beer.

I'm a huge fan of fox cider. Says gluten-free on the bottle, comes in apple, pear and black currant. Super nummy stuff. I'm also a fan of Magners over ice, but that can be hard to find in the US away from large Irish populations. Ace cider is also gluten-free.

Woodchuck cider is the best, I absolutely love the stuff. You can pretty much order it at any bar, and it is carried in most grocery stores and ABC stores. I've tried the Redbridge gluten free beer, its ok, but I'll stick to woodchuck.

Mike's new lite version states gluten free on the box! But it still states it is a malt beverage so I emailed them and here is their new response! Things have come a long way in the last several years!

Thank you so much for contacting mike

Mike's new lite version states gluten free on the box! But it still states it is a malt beverage so I emailed them and here is their new response! Things have come a long way in the last several years!

Besides, despite the fact that this is an international board so legal drinking ages vary, should we really be talking about alcohol on the teenager board?

Besides, despite the fact that this is an international board so legal drinking ages vary, should we really be talking about alcohol on the teenager board?

This thread is resurrected from 2008. It is for teens & young adults. If alcohol is what they want to talk about, I guess that's was Ok. Too late nowv.

#ravenwoodglass

I think you missed this line of the previous post "multi stage filtration process which removes all gluten". This filtration process, which happens in MOST alcohol, eliminates the gluten content. This goes for Vodka's as well. The product, although origingally containing malt, goes through such an intensive filtration and purification that the malt content of gluten is eliminated completely. The test refered to are the same as those that certified Gluten-Free food undergo to get their approval.

No I didn't miss it. Some of us react to very slight amounts of gluten and some of us do react to distilled gluten. Malted beverages are not something we should consume no matter how 'filtered' they are.

I know I react to vodka, which caught me by surprise given all I've heard/read about the distillation and filtration processes removing gluten. Clearly I must be super sensitive, and not the only one who's come to this realization. That being said, I tend to stick to wine (if you like sweet/fruity drinks try moscato, barefoot moscato is really cheap in the states and DELICIOUS), woodchuck cider, and 100% agave tequila (since it states it clearly on the bottle and therefore requires no googling or phone calls).

As for the whole discussing alcohol thing: I'm 24 and consider myself a young adult as far as health/medical history things go.

Anyways, best of luck! Trial and error seems to be the only way to figure out your sensitivity level, as much as that stinks. Personally I figured out the vodka thing after eating neurotically gluten free for a week, having my first drink all week, and vomiting 1/2 an hour later. On the bright side, now I know!