This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Calling Celiac-mommy!

*lee-lee*

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

HELP! i made chocolate chip cookies on Tuesday using your recipe and they were awesome right out of the oven. but within a few hours, they got pretty hard and by the next day i nearly cracked a tooth! does this happen when you make them? any suggestions on how to keep them a little softer? my mom used to make homemade cookies when i was a kid (pre-celiac) and she used to throw a slice of bread in the tin to keep the cookies fresh...obviously not an option now! she did suggest that the other day and i made her stop and think about what she was saying. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I'm sorry they didn't turn out for you! I've never had this happen to me. I made them on Tuesday night, put in a ziplock bag and brought them out to eat yesterday, they were still nice and chewy. Even if I leave them on a plate covered with a papertowel they stay chewy.

Did you use the Pamela's or another flour blend?

What did you use for the fat? (butter, margarine, etc)-I use butter

How long did you cook them for? I usually undercook a little, let cool ~3min on pan before transferring to cooling rack

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

i put half the cookies in a ziplock bag and the other half on a plate covered with plastic wrap. both were equally hard. i used regular butter and Pamela's and cooked them for 10 minutes. must have been the cooking time that did me in.

oh darn, i guess i'll have to make another batch! ;) thanks Rachelle!

purple Community Regular

If you can't get that recipe to work you can try this one:

Open Original Shared Link

It's my fav. I use the sorghum flour blend or the rice one.

jerseyangel Proficient

This one is very good, too. The cookies come out chewy and stay moist--

My flour mix--

3 cups rice flour

1 cup potato starch

1/2 cup cornstarch (you could sub tapioca starch)

1 tsp. xanthan gum

Mix very well and store in covered container.

i put half the cookies in a ziplock bag and the other half on a plate covered with plastic wrap. both were equally hard. i used regular butter and Pamela's and cooked them for 10 minutes. must have been the cooking time that did me in.

oh darn, i guess i'll have to make another batch! ;) thanks Rachelle!

I have a convection oven and I usually check at about 7 minutes. Just when the edges are starting to brown, the insides will still look gooey, but after letting them sit on the (parchmented) pan for 3 min or so, they are ready to move. The outsides of the cookies get a little crunchy and the insides soft and chewy. Let me know what happens if you bake another batch!!

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

Celiac-mommy, when using the convection oven do you put the temp on the same as a regular oven? I just got a new oven that has a convection feature but I haven't tried it yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Hummingbird4 Explorer

I've made chocolate chip cookies with Pamela's and didn't have any trouble with them getting hard. In fact, one batch I overcooked a bit, and I was disappointed because they seemed too done. I put them into a rubbermaid storage container and the next day they were nice and soft.

I think the real trick is to eat them all before they get a chance to harden. LOL.

Celiac-mommy, when using the convection oven do you put the temp on the same as a regular oven? I just got a new oven that has a convection feature but I haven't tried it yet.

I do the same temp that a recipe calls for, I just check maybe 10 minutes before to see if it's done. Any cookies, I usually cook on 350, unless it specifically says a very low temp or high temp-but regular cookies-350.

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

ooh maybe oven temp was also my problem...i baked them at 375, not 350.

ooh maybe oven temp was also my problem...i baked them at 375, not 350.

Could be!! 375 for 10 min might be way too long. Try the 350 for 7 minutes, then check to see if they need a little more time. The leftover ones I made on Tuesday were still in the bag last night (not any more :huh: ), and a little hard, so I tossed them in the microwave for 12 seconds--they turned back into the warm gooey cookies I took out of the oven--that's why there aren't anymore :P

• 2 weeks later...
*lee-lee* Enthusiast

well, i tried the cookies again today and they came out great. 350 degrees for 8 minutes and they were perfect. a little flatter than before but they taste awesome so that's all that really matters! (oh and i only had less than a cup of regular chocolate chips so i subbed a cup of white chocolate chips...a nice variation!)

I'm really happy that they worked this time!! :)

scooter42 Newbie

The Chewy Gluten Free

Ingredients

* 8 ounces unsalted butter

* 11 ounces brown rice flour, approximately 2 cups

* 1 1/4 ounces cornstarch, approximately 1/4 cup

* 1/2-ounce tapioca flour, approximately 2 tablespoons

* 1 teaspoon xanthan gum

* 1 teaspoon kosher salt

* 1 teaspoon baking soda

* 2 ounces sugar, approximately 1/4 cup

* 10 ounces light brown sugar, approximately 1 1/4 cups

* 1 whole egg

* 1 egg yolk

* 2 tablespoons whole milk

* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

* 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Once melted, pour into the bowl of a stand mixer.

In a medium bowl, sift together the rice flour, cornstarch, tapioca flour, xantham gum, salt and baking soda. Set aside.

Add both of the sugars to the bowl with the butter and using the paddle attachment, cream together on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the whole egg, egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.

Chill the dough in the refrigerator until firm, approximately 1 hour. Shape the dough into 2-ounce balls and place on parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes, rotating the pans after 7 minutes for even baking. Remove from the oven and cool the cookies on the pans for 2 minutes. Move the cookies to a wire rack and cool completely. Store cooked cookies in an airtight container.

ASOME!!!

Archived