This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Now What?

The Kids Folks

The Kids Folks Apprentice

Hi - I'm fairly new to the board. Been gluten-free since October 11th and was finally starting to feel amazing!! I haven't been diagnosed medically (no blood work or biopsy) but all of my symptoms have vastly disappeared, no more insomnia, IBS, monthly "girl" issues, depression, brain fog, etc. I should say that I joined my 7 yr old son when he was having chronic C problems and slow or no growth. Doctor did blood work on him, which came back neg - we decided against the biopsy at this point b/c following our ped and GI orders to treat the symptoms landed him in the ER. He also has improved and has gone up a size in clothing and has grown over and inch!! Anyway - I ramble....

Since the holidays which started on the 23rd for us we have been entertaining, entertained and well glutened!! My son seems to be doing well since my husband and I were vigilant on what he could and couldn't eat. I however, was not so careful and now feel like crap!!

My insomnia is back, my mood swings and brain fog, lack of energy, IBS and bloat is at an all time high. :(

My question to the group - now what can I do to get back to my new gluten-free normal QUICKLY!! I really would like some magic to occur. Wishful thinking I know, but had to ask and thought that maybe someone had some idea of foods that help while my body is going through detox again!

The Kids Folks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Hi - I'm fairly new to the board. Been gluten-free since October 11th and was finally starting to feel amazing!! I haven't been diagnosed medically (no blood work or biopsy) but all of my symptoms have vastly disappeared, no more insomnia, IBS, monthly "girl" issues, depression, brain fog, etc. I should say that I joined my 7 yr old son when he was having chronic C problems and slow or no growth. Doctor did blood work on him, which came back neg - we decided against the biopsy at this point b/c following our ped and GI orders to treat the symptoms landed him in the ER. He also has improved and has gone up a size in clothing and has grown over and inch!! Anyway - I ramble....

Since the holidays which started on the 23rd for us we have been entertaining, entertained and well glutened!! My son seems to be doing well since my husband and I were vigilant on what he could and couldn't eat. I however, was not so careful and now feel like crap!!

My insomnia is back, my mood swings and brain fog, lack of energy, IBS and bloat is at an all time high. :(

My question to the group - now what can I do to get back to my new gluten-free normal QUICKLY!! I really would like some magic to occur. Wishful thinking I know, but had to ask and thought that maybe someone had some idea of foods that help while my body is going through detox again!

The Kids Folks

I say activated charcoal, dandelion root tea, no dairy for a while, and peppermint tea. And no caffeine, no matter how tempted. Try some melatonin at night to help the insomnia. And chamomile tea for a few hours before bed, that works great on me. Lots of tea!

Jestgar Rising Star

lots of tea. The extra fluid helps (me at least) flush the unpleasantness out of my body.

cat3883 Explorer

I am feeling just like you. I have been gluten free since October 15th and have been doing wonderful. I tried being very careful over the holidays but something crept in. Before going gluten free my symptoms were headaches, fatigue, and brain fog. Now they also include stomach cramps and the big D. My gastro told me my symptoms would be worse. Boy he was right. I started feeling bad on Christmas Day. I know I am eating gluten-free now as I am only eating at my house. How long do these bouts last. I feel terrible.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
How long do these bouts last. I feel terrible.

It depends completely on the person. There are some people on the board who feel sick for a day or less, then there's me who gets sick for weeks.

If you find your diarrhea getting out of control, don't be afraid to take Imodium.

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

Your story sounds like mine. I am so careful with my 8 year old son but not so much with myself. I ate a handful of those Reeses peanut butter bells a few weeks ago without reading the label. I would never allow my son to do that. Anyway, I got ill. I thought I was coming down with the flu but low and behold it turns out that those yummy candies contain wheat flour. What helps me get through those times is to drink lots of water and eat lots of fruit. I also need more sleep so my husband watches the kids while I get some extra zzzz's. I also know that I can't be far from the bathroom so I don't plan any outside activities for the next day or so.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I agree with all the other posters with drinking lots of tea. The warmth seems to calm my stomach somewhat and you need all the liquids you can get if you have D like me. My favorite is Constant Comment decaf, it's just yummy and soothing.

I sometimes also feel ravenous when glutened so I allow myself to eat anything that's safe as much as my body needs. The sublingual B12 is also helpfull. I swear it shortens the length of the reaction.

Time on the couch and some family TLC is part of the equation. I hope you find some good remedies and find a way to eat out sometimes. This is making your world very small.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived