• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

In one of my gluten-free recipe books they say to use garfava bean flour in breads. I know Authentic Foods carries it, but I also know that Bob's Red Mill carries a flour mixture of Garbanzo bean and Fava bean. Would the Bob's Red Mill mix work as well as the Garfava flour?

In one of my gluten-free recipe books they say to use garfava bean flour in breads. I know Authentic Foods carries it, but I also know that Bob's Red Mill carries a flour mixture of Garbanzo bean and Fava bean. Would the Bob's Red Mill mix work as well as the Garfava flour?

I have a bag of both but have only used Bob's so far. Bob's lists it's ingredients as Garbanzo beans, fava beans, and Authentic foods lists its as Garbanzo flour, fava flour. Chances are they are very similar and can be substituted for each other. I am new to gluten-free baking, but have read that it is important to measure carefully. We made baked pakoras with the flour. They were good, but a little dry. We have to figure out where to get some tamarind sauce...

How did the Pakora turn out?

Any reason you didn't use Besan flour, same stuff for the most part, maybe even exactly the same as what is used for normal Pakora.

So they should not have been dry, as the traditional recipe doesn't call for any flours with gluten in them.

We picked up a deep fryer, Pakora is on the menu this weekend :)

Bob's Red Mill Garfava flour is a favorite of mine to use in breads and pizza crusts.

If you are in the mood for home made bread, check out the recipezaar site for gluten free flax bread. It is number 190906.

Carol Fenster has a pizza crust recipe on her web site the savory palate that has garfava flour.

I think the recipe is also on the Bob's Red Mill site. I highly recommend it for home made pizza.