This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Acne Just Won't Go Away

*lee-lee*

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

i never had acne as a teenager but about 9 months before i was diagnosed, i started noticing pimples popping up all over my face. i tried a few different types of face washes but nothing really worked. since going gluten free, it's gotten better but every so often i get a HUGE disgusting zit that takes well over a week to go away. it's usually accompanied by a few smaller ones and they're typically on my chin and jawline.

is it possible that i'm getting glutened and this is how i'm reacting? i haven't had any other symptoms of glutening so i'm thinking maybe i'm just getting a trace of gluten somehow.

as for medications, i take Zovia for birth control but it hasn't changed in years and i also take Claritin (store brand, Walmart i think). i just started this week talking a daily vitamin (One-a-Day Womens). i don't currently use anything specific to wash my face...just give it a good wash with water in the shower every morning.

one thing that's been bugging me is that our kitchen is NOT gluten free. i have my own toaster and cooking utensils but there is still gluten bread and whole-wheat pasta being prepared on a regular basis. i try to clean up as best i can behind my boyfriend but there are always crumbs. i'm not working right now so every meal i eat is prepared in my kitchen.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Have you had your antibodies checked recently? That would be a good indicator that you're still getting exposure from somewhere. If your antibodies are still elevated then you might consider a gluten-free kitchen for a while. Allergies, thyroid issues, etc. can also cause acne.

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

ooh good call Janet...i haven't had my levels checked since the initial test back in May. it's on the top of my list for when i get health insurance again. (fingers crossed i get the job i interviewed for before Christmas!)

Jestgar Rising Star
Open Original Shared Link ??
AliB Enthusiast

It may not even be gluten that is doing it. Spots and zits are the body's way of trying to offload toxins. If your system is overloaded with crud then you are bound to get them.

There is a lot of rubbish food out there and very sadly some of the gluten-free falls into that category. gluten-free foods are typically very high in carbs and can be very 'cloggy' to the body. Just because they are gluten-free doesn't necessarily make them healthy.

Try to eat more healthy foods - if you want to be clean, you have to eat clean (that's my saying of the week!).

Avoid anything processed, adulterated, mucked about with. Eat less dairy (commonly a zit trigger - pasteurisation and homogenisation destroys the valuable enzymes and some of the nutrients and changes the milk into forms that the body cannot cope with very well), and sugar, starches and grains, and concentrate on cleansing and vital foods - good organic unprocessed meat, fish, poultry, eggs, fruit, veg, raw honey and plain probiotic yogurt (yummy eaten with fruit and honey).

Have plenty of salads and raw veg for vital enzymes and nutrients, drink plenty of fresh water to help your body detox and hopefully you will find that zits will become a thing of the past.

Communities that are not exposed to our highly toxic, chemically enhanced, high-carb, high-sugar western lifestyle and diet, and who eat natural, fresh, vital foods, do not suffer with acne or zits!

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Well I hope you get the job :) You might want to check out your medications, etc. too and see if you can come up with anything. I've been using just olive oil to wash my face for years. It's cheap and easy!

lizard00 Enthusiast

Janet, I've heard other people say they use olive oil.

How do you use it? Do you just rub it in and wash it off, or do you wipe it off?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I have it in a pump bottle and use it in the shower. I rinse it off because I don't like the oil feel on my skin. I also use it as hair conditioner and moisturizer. I buy in bulk at Costco :)

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

I had terrible problems with acne as a teenager. I also have rosacea... and until recently I had pimples around my jawline that refused to go away. The GFCFMF diet has helped tremendously! When I saw my parents last month they said my skin hasn't looked this good since before I hit puberty :)

I've been using coconut oil on my face as a moisturizer. Let it sit for an hour and then you can wipe off the excess. It keeps my skin nice and moist for a few days.

Archived