Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

leadmeastray88

National Post - Discovery Offers Hope For Celiac Sufferers

Not sure what to think of this:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/st...html?id=1149060

DISCOVERY OFFERS HOPE FOR CELIAC SUFFERERS

Canwest News Service Published: Wednesday, January 07, 2009

A researcher at the University of Alberta has found a cost-effective way to produce antibodies against gluten, potentially opening up a whole new world for people with celiac disease. Celiacs cannot tolerate gluten -- a protein found in wheat, barley and rye -- and currently there is no cure. Hoon Sunwoo, a research associate in the faculty of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences, has produced antibodies in chicken eggs that will allow celiacs to eat bread and other foods containing gluten. It will head to human clinical trials this fall, provided it passes animal safety studies. Gluten helps bread and other baked goods bind and prevents crumbling, and is used in many processed and packaged foods. It is estimated that one in 133 Canadians is affected by celiac disease.

I don't get how this makes any sense whatsoever.

It says "celiacs can't tolerate gluten", but we all know we have an auto-immune reaction, not an intolerance.

Antibodies???? Umm we make plenty on our own & they are the basis of the blood test.

Maybe there's something real here & the reporter just did an incredibly poor job??

Well, I'm allergic to eggs...

Me too!

It just sounds more like glutenease or something already out there. Just to serve as a precaution against contamination, not so much to actually make it edible for us.

That was a very poorly written article.