Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I emailed St. Ives today because I use a lot of their products, here's what they sent me, hope it helps some people. These are their items that contain gluten...

Age Defying Hydroxy Cleanser

Wheat Germ Oil

Collagen & Elastin Extra Relief Lotion

Wheat Germ Oil

Collagen Elastin Fragrance Free

Wheat Germ Oil

Hair Repair Hot Oil

Hyd. Wheat Protein

Hair Repair Hot Oil Thickening

Hyd. Wheat Protein

Hair Repair Thickening Shampoo

Hyd. Wheat Protein

Hot Oil Strengthening

Hyd. Wheat Protein

No Frizz Serum

Hyd. Wheat Protein

Nourishing Protective Moisturizer with SPF 15

Wheat Amino Acids

Peaches & Cream Facial Moisturizer

Wheat Germ Oil

Skin Zone Thigh Cream

Wheat Germ Oil

Ultra Gentle Apricot Scrub

Hyd. Wheat Protein

Vitamin E & A Lotion

Wheat Germ Oil

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

i found this out the hard way--i was using their lavender lotion and the itching began--i loved the scent, but i threw it all out--i dont normally have DH--only one incident on my elbows a few months ago--but i do get hives from lotions with wheat, barley, or oats in them---deb

Since i am new to this (gluten-free lifestyle) I am not really sure what i can and can not do (besides diet). I read in a book that most celiacs or gluten intolerants- should not be wary of items (like lotions, shampoos, etc). Since I've been coming here i've been reading differently... So do those items effect some celiacs and not all? I use apricot scrub by st. ives and i've never noticed a problem. Should i worry just in case?

A lot of us like to be 100% gluten-free in everyway.

I used to nt care about my make-up and shampoo being glutenfree. However, after a few months gluten-free I noticed that these gluten containing products really bothered me. The shampoo now gives me a rash and makes me itchy and the same with the make-up.

Some say thats an allergic reaction rather than a Celiac one but since so many of us have issues with it I think it is related. Maybe the longer gluten-free you are the more sensitive you get.

Plus, when you use shampoo in the shower sometimes it can get in your mouth, the same with nail produts, and lotions (on your hands).

Yeah Kristina is right. I used to not care as well but then I had reactions as well... I choose to be completely gluten-free in all ways.

If you haven't already check lipsticks too...that is common to forget but that definitely gets into your mouth and I had a problem with some lip balm with vitamin E that was derived from wheat that was causing a reaction. It's better safe then sick :D There is wonderful info about products that are gluten-free on here and if you don't know about something just ask and I'm sure someone will have an answer for you :D

Kaiti (or anyone else who knows), you mentioned Vitamin E having wheat sometimes. I heard this for the first time recently, so now I'm paranoid about buying anything with Vitamin E, just in case it's wheat derived. Do you know how common this is? Would the company (if they are semi-gluten-free friendly) have to declare the Vitamin E is wheat derived? Or is this just one of the "modified food starch, natural flavors" etc. issues that we have to worry about?

Thanks for any info anyone has!

It's something that can be derived from wheat...but not always...it's something to check on. If the company is like Kraft or something it would be fine but I check every time I see it for brands I do not know about...I learned the lesson the hard way.

I don't think this list is complete. One I didn't see listed is this:

Hair Repair Intense Conditioner

That has hydrolyzed wheat protein, too. I used to love this one...

Stephanie