Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

momof2

Omnicef Prescription

My daughter has been prescribed "Omnicef" for an ear infection. I have contacted the pharmacy, and they don't have any info on whether it is gluten-free and I have checked the website and they don't have any info, or a contact phone number. Now it is Friday night, and I am at odds, trying to decide whether I should give this med to her, and hope it is not gluten-free, or have her be in more pain for 2 additional days, before I can get some answers. What would you do????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I know this is an old post, but I'm curious to know what you did. My daughter was also prescribed omnicef. Apparently the company can't guarantee that it's gluten-free. Unfortunately, she can't have any of the penicillin based medications like Augmentin, because she's allergic. She was on Zithromax, but her ear infection was resistant to the antibiotic. The active ingredient in omnicef is made in wheat, but then it's distilled a few times. They haven't tested the distillation process, however, nor can the company vouch for ingredients from outside vendors. Our pediatrician said to give her the omnicef due to the lack of other options, and we'll see if she has any reactions. This still makes me nervous! If anyone has had experience with a celiac on omnicef, please let me know if there was a reaction or not - it'd put me at ease (or not!).

Thanks,

Lisa