This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

"Super Sensitive" Celiacs.....

jerseyangel

Del Rookie

Thanks for the reply, Lisa. I'm allergic or super sensitive to all medications so no, I did not take antibiodics. I did cough so badly that my entire insides ached for days.

Del

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Thanks for the reply, Lisa. I'm allergic or super sensitive to all medications so no, I did not take antibiodics. I did cough so badly that my entire insides ached for days.

Del

Probably cramping of some sort inside. Dont you hate when you cough so hard it makes you feel like vomiting?

Oceangirl: Can you have almonds, sunflowers seeds, cashews,or peanuts? You can take the butter of each of these and do this:

1 cup (whatever) butter

1 cup sugar

1 egg

Mix, make baby cookies, for some reason they come out better the smaller they are. I think they bae for 12 minutes at 325, but I'll double check a recipe somewhere and get back to you. I have also read tha tpeople have successfully used 1 cup of honey instead of sugar. These freeze very well, also.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I tested Arrowhead Mills green lentils for gluten to about 0.5 ppm and got a negative result. They are listed as negative on their website. It looks like they are a trustworthy company. Just in case anyone needs a good lentil source.

Del Rookie

Probably cramping of some sort inside. Dont you hate when you cough so hard it makes you feel like vomiting?

Thanks for the reply! And, yes, I sure do hate it when you cough really hard!!! I think this is the worst cough I've EVER had!

You're probably right about a cramp....now it's gone!!

Del

oceangirl Collaborator

JNBunnie,

Yum, yes, I will try that- I do eat nuts.

Glad to hear the cramp is gone. The cough could easily have added to your issues. And, I DO know how to write the English language somewhat correctly. Grr.... I don't like it when I have numerous typos! sigh... Pet peeve in this "texting" age.

Patti,

I also get a little reacty, in a more bearable way, from Glutino mixes and I know I react to tapioca (in lots of them) and DEFINITELY to honey (the fructose, I think) which is also in a lot of them. I use them to bake for my son who is still at home and for company treats but don't partake myself too often. The pure rice flour, though, I've been pretty sure I don't react to. Of course, I spent a full year feeling that way about Frito-lay fritos which you helped me discover have CC issues!

tra la la- the joy of eating.

P.S. On another note, I ALWAYS knew, even at the age of 11, that FOOD was the problem... No one believed me. I just thought of this: At seventeen I stopped eating for nine months other than a boiled egg a day. They call this "anorexia"- I'm wondering if it was a survival technique? I had never been fat, played sports and was a tomboy. I lost enough weight to be 105 pounds (I was 5'9") and almost died. (That's when I woke up and chose to live) Still, it's interesting to me on many levels now that I rejected food...

Good health to all,

lisa

Del Rookie

If the cough didn't add to my celiac disease issues I'd be greatly surprise but being set back this far, especially the Big D, is very discouraging. Hopefully I'll get back to where I was soon!!!

I did read your entire post and what you wrote about reacting to Honey caused my eyes to pop.....I used honey for my cough.....I wonder if that's what set me back? Hmmmmm

Elaine

Kaycee Collaborator

Hi Angie.

Well I gave up corn for a couple of weeks and thought, this hasn't made a difference. But I was going to stick with it for a bit longer.

Then I went away overnight with my parents and I had taken a few convenient things to eat, and there was corn/maize in the crackers and I didn't think it would be too bad, as I was a bit sceptical about it being a problem. But then next day after eating them I got the old creaky feeling back, specially in my feet. I had forgotten all about those feet. So maybe corn is that missing link to my problems.

This week, first week back at work for about 8 weeks has been running smoothly, and yes I am corn free. And yes I am more sociable and yes I am not as tired. But I am grumpy.

Cathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ang1e0251 Contributor
If the cough didn't add to my celiac disease issues I'd be greatly surprise but being set back this far, especially the Big D, is very discouraging. Hopefully I'll get back to where I was soon!!!

I did read your entire post and what you wrote about reacting to Honey caused my eyes to pop.....I used honey for my cough.....I wonder if that's what set me back? Hmmmmm

Elaine

Elaine,

Honey although very good for most people, does have a laxative affect. If you are eating too much, that would explain the D. Back off a little.

Del Rookie

I had never even thought about that....guess I was willing to do ANYTHING to stop coughing my guts out! I haven't had honey for days but I guess I'm still paying for it!!!

oceangirl Collaborator

Honey is high in fructose. Many people cannot digest this sugar well. Could be the issue as well.

lisa

Del Rookie

That most likely is the problem....I know I've had problems with fructose! We should come with instruction booklets!!

ang1e0251 Contributor

I like peppermint hard candies for sad tummy and coughs!

Del Rookie
I like peppermint hard candies for sad tummy and coughs!

I never thought about peppermint for coughs!!! I just took a peppermint capsule for my sore tummy!!! How are you feeling today?

Elaine

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
JNBunnie,

Yum, yes, I will try that- I do eat nuts.

Ok, checked the original recipe from gluten-free girl, 350, ten minutes.

oceangirl Collaborator

Thank you- I'm going to make some this weekend!

Jestgar and Fiddle -Faddle,

That's a very good idea for begging critters; I like that and will give it a try. Besides the new puppy, (Bruce-black lab), I have 2 other dogs, 6 cats (one three-legged one) and a bodacious rabbit that lives with us in the house.

Perhaps gluten made me lose my mind.....

lisa

Sailing Girl Apprentice

Does anyone have a recommendation for a "super-sensitive safe" brand of sugar? I don't normally use sugar (I mostly follow SCD), but I plan to make a flourless chocolate cake for my friend's birthday this weekend. Somehow, the mainstream sugar brands just frighten me -- perhaps I'm being paranoid? Does anyone use a specific brand of sugar regularly and find it to be safe?

Mike M Rookie
Does anyone have a recommendation for a "super-sensitive safe" brand of sugar? I don't normally use sugar (I mostly follow SCD), but I plan to make a flourless chocolate cake for my friend's birthday this weekend. Somehow, the mainstream sugar brands just frighten me -- perhaps I'm being paranoid? Does anyone use a specific brand of sugar regularly and find it to be safe?

Hello Sailing Girl, I don't think you will have a problem with sugars. Have done a lot of testing and have not had a positive yet. Only thing that some may have a problem with would be the corn based sugars (if they have a corn issue). Domino's tested negative (both powdered and granular) Flavorite brand brown sugar tested negative. We use Florida Crystals organic brand and it also tested negative. Hope this helps, Mike

happygirl Collaborator

oceangirl - At least some of these treats/food are wheat free and many are grain free. Saw them at Petco. Open Original Shared Link

oceangirl Collaborator

Happygirl,

Thank you!

lisa

EileenB Newbie

I cannot tolerate rice. Anyone else have that problem?

Eileen

Thanks for recreating the thread Patti :D

From what I remember of my post in the first thread: I know that as time as gone by, I've gotten more sensitive. When I first went gluten-free, I was so thankful that I wasn't like so many here who are sensitive and have other intolerances...

HAHAHA the jokes on me! <_<

I think I finally had to accept it, too, that I was waaayy more sensitive than I thought I was. But for awhile I couldn't figure out why I would have "the burn" when I was soo sure that I hadn't had gluten. But I am realizing now that it was trace amounts. I think I wanted to believe that I could use the shortcuts like others, but I'm pretty much making everything from scratch these days.

On the lastest saga... I know I can't have dairy, but I have also eliminated soy and corn. How many of you are sensitive to these things, (dairy, soy and corn) or a combination of these things? I've known for a while that I can't handle soy because every time I cook with earth balance, it made me feel gross. I also have found that I can tolerate limited amounts of grains at one time.

This really is frustrating. I used to be able to eat anything, and now I am so reactive to foods. I feel like I live in my kitchen.

Sailing Girl Apprentice
Hello Sailing Girl, I don't think you will have a problem with sugars. Have done a lot of testing and have not had a positive yet. Only thing that some may have a problem with would be the corn based sugars (if they have a corn issue). Domino's tested negative (both powdered and granular) Flavorite brand brown sugar tested negative. We use Florida Crystals organic brand and it also tested negative. Hope this helps, Mike

Mike, thank you so much -- that's great to know!

• 2 weeks later...
MarsupialMama Apprentice
Truly mind-boggling. Blows my mind.

And what's even more mind-boggling is the people who think it's really not that serious.

Well I would have been one of those people who would think "There's no way it can be that serious" if I hadn't gone through it with my daughter. It is INSANELY ridiculous. And to find out where she has got glutened is really hard since we are so careful It's like....there is some invisible boogey-man out there that attacks and we never know it - how, when, or where ......all we see are the symptoms and think "OH NO!!! NOT AGAIN!!!"

HOW DO YOU LIVE IN THIS WORLD? I'm getting more and more nuts over this, realizing she is more sensitive than I ever dreamed, and like, NOTHING is safe! Forget grains.....NOTHING is safe.

Sorry. just venting. In this by myself.

jerseyangel Proficient

<sigh> I know it can be so hard sometimes, but you're not alone. Let us know what we can do to help :)

Or just vent, if that's what you need to do right now ;)

lizard00 Enthusiast
Well I would have been one of those people who would think "There's no way it can be that serious" if I hadn't gone through it with my daughter. It is INSANELY ridiculous. And to find out where she has got glutened is really hard since we are so careful It's like....there is some invisible boogey-man out there that attacks and we never know it - how, when, or where ......all we see are the symptoms and think "OH NO!!! NOT AGAIN!!!"

HOW DO YOU LIVE IN THIS WORLD? I'm getting more and more nuts over this, realizing she is more sensitive than I ever dreamed, and like, NOTHING is safe! Forget grains.....NOTHING is safe.

The GLUTEN BOOGEY MAN!!!! I LOVE IT!! :lol::lol:

That's how we live in this world, we use twisted humor. LOL

Seriously, it can be totally frustrating. I can't imagine if I had to deal with it with my child, especially if I didn't have celiac. So, you get a big pat on the back from me! :wub:

My system is really sensitive, and I can eat grains in small amounts, but only with protein or after I've eaten something else. Definitely not on an empty stomach. You learn what makes you feel bad and what works.

But yes, you can't assume anything is safe because it should be. You have to check and double check, and sometimes you still miss it. Like Patti said, if there's anything we can do to help, just let us know.

oceangirl Collaborator

Eileen,

I could not tolerate any grains for 2 years including rice. I still cannot eat plain rice, however, can eat Tinkyada pasta- go figure.

I don't do any substitutions other than the Tinky and that seems fine- but not every day!

Tra la la.....

Be well,

lisa

Archived