Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ang1e0251

Long Eyelashes

Ok, I just read a post that mentioned that Celiacs have long eyelashes. Is that true? My lashes are growing super long since I went gluten-free. They've never been long like this before.

Who has noticed long eyelashes since starting the diet? Or did you always have lush lashes? Who thinks it's related to celiac disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have huge eyelashes, and I have trouble wearing glasses. ....

That is funny..

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

Same here. My lashes hit my glasses. I can't wear mascara on my bottom lashes because they touch my lower lid.

Our dental hygienist told my son he had the longest eyelashes she'd ever seen.

At least we have one perk... :P

hmm, another long eyelash person here....on a similar note a local pediatric allergist wrote a paper where he mentioned that a significant % of his male patients had brown eyes and long, dark lashes...who knows maybe there is a link??

Enterolab:

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 11 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA 18 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal Anti-casein (cow

hmm, another long eyelash person here....on a similar note a local pediatric allergist wrote a paper where he mentioned that a significant % of his male patients had brown eyes and long, dark lashes...who knows maybe there is a link??

Super long lashes and brown eyes here, mine hit my glasses too. Wierd!

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

lol.... :lol:

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

I also have super long eyelashes. My glasses are plastic frames that slide easily off my nose. Annoying, but they tend to sit lower so that my lashes don't hit the lenses constantly.

SUPER-long lashes here! I always have trouble wearing glasses and sunglasses. If I wear mascara, it looks like I'm wearing falsies.

Hazel eyes...almost yellow.

Graves Disease 5/95-5/97

Noticeable GI distress started 8/07

Mom Dx Celiac 9/08

Dietary Response POS 10/08

Bloodwork and Biopsy NEG 12/08

IgA Deficient

Could any of you scientists out there please tell us what you might know on this subject? I would really like to know if there is any scientific evidence about the lashes thing or if it's just a fun legend. Has anyone done anything with it at an official level in the science world? Several family members have decidedly longer lashes than usual. Thanks!

Ok, I just read a post that mentioned that Celiacs have long eyelashes. Is that true? My lashes are growing super long since I went gluten-free. They've never been long like this before.

Who has noticed long eyelashes since starting the diet? Or did you always have lush lashes? Who thinks it's related to celiac disease?

I have long eyelashes as well, and so do both of my children. Although my oldest does not have celiac and is in the least likely category according to the genetic testing.

Diary free 11/06-6/08

Now using a small amount of low-lactose dairy such as aged cheeses and yogurt. Yum!

Gluten-free since 4/07

"When you row another person across the river, you get there yourself."

- Fortune Cookie

Long vs short lashes is a genetic trait. Long lashes are dominant, short are recessive. I doubt if they are connected to gluten intolerance, but if they are near each other on the same chromosome, it is possible that they tend to be inherited more frequently together.

Apparently, eyelash length is related to allergies, so who knows?...

Abstract: Long eyelashes may be congenital, acquired in association with certain systemic diseases, or drug induced. In the past, long eyelashes were considered an external sign found in children with allergic diseases. However, this claim has never been examined in a controlled study. We compared the eyelash lengths of allergic children and adolescents with perennial allergic rhinitis, with or without bronchial asthma and atopic dermatitis (n = 60) to those of age- and sex-matched nonallergic controls (n = 80). The eyelashes of the allergic patients were found to be significantly longer than those of the controls: 9.43

My Celiac daughter has ridiculously long, dark eyelashes! So long that when she was a toddler/preschooler, the top lashes would slide into her lower lid when she was sleeping and we'd have to gently pull them out in the morning! She will never, ever need mascara!

She has blue/gray eyes, though.

Long vs short lashes is a genetic trait. Long lashes are dominant, short are recessive. I doubt if they are connected to gluten intolerance, but if they are near each other on the same chromosome, it is possible that they tend to be inherited more frequently together.

Apparently, eyelash length is related to allergies, so who knows?...

Abstract: Long eyelashes may be congenital, acquired in association with certain systemic diseases, or drug induced. In the past, long eyelashes were considered an external sign found in children with allergic diseases. However, this claim has never been examined in a controlled study. We compared the eyelash lengths of allergic children and adolescents with perennial allergic rhinitis, with or without bronchial asthma and atopic dermatitis (n = 60) to those of age- and sex-matched nonallergic controls (n = 80). The eyelashes of the allergic patients were found to be significantly longer than those of the controls: 9.43

Chrissy