Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuvMoosic4life

Work

I'm a college student looking for a job. Most of the options in my town involve resturants, since there are three times the amount of resturants here than stores!! Tim Hortons is out of the question for me lol, I've worked there before knowing about celiac...

Bob Evans in Hiring and I was thinking of applying either for grill or dishwasher. (I hate the ideas of waiting on tables-not for me!!!) From what I"ve heard most of thier food products are pre-prepared before they get to the resturant....I'd really only be worried about wrking there if they work with flour a lot..or at all for that matter!..but I can't really picture that. If I did dishwashing I would wear gloves, I'm not too worried about that...but just wondering if anyone knows anything about the resturant as far as food preparation? I've applied at non-resturant places and havent heard back in months, I really dont have a choice anymore, I need to work....as long as it isnt in a bakery! haha But even tim hortons...I dont ever rememebr them working with flour...everything was pre-prepared there as well! minus powdered sugar and toppings for donuts...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I think you really have to be careful as even with pre-prepared foods, coated with flour, you could have problems.

It might depend on how sensitive you are though. I can't go into the kitchen for 2 days after a bakery class at the culinary school I lecture at. I can understand not waiting tables, how about a host job? A restaurant other than a chain or fast food place might be more understanding of celiac too. Good luck

Ken

I'm a college student looking for a job. Most of the options in my town involve resturants, since there are three times the amount of resturants here than stores!! Tim Hortons is out of the question for me lol, I've worked there before knowing about celiac...

Bob Evans in Hiring and I was thinking of applying either for grill or dishwasher. (I hate the ideas of waiting on tables-not for me!!!) From what I"ve heard most of thier food products are pre-prepared before they get to the resturant....I'd really only be worried about wrking there if they work with flour a lot..or at all for that matter!..but I can't really picture that. If I did dishwashing I would wear gloves, I'm not too worried about that...but just wondering if anyone knows anything about the resturant as far as food preparation? I've applied at non-resturant places and havent heard back in months, I really dont have a choice anymore, I need to work....as long as it isnt in a bakery! haha But even tim hortons...I dont ever rememebr them working with flour...everything was pre-prepared there as well! minus powdered sugar and toppings for donuts...

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Please do be careful, I had to quit my job working in a health cafe due to the fact that I was getting sick just being around the tortillas and other gluten food.

Hi,

I worked two jobs at one time, one at a bakery and one at an ice cream parlor (I am intolerant of wheat, oats, barley, rye, all milk & dairy, egg whites, yeast, casein, whey, maltodextrin and modified food starch). I felt fine, though I was totally exhausted from leaving the bakery then going to work until near midnight at the ice cream parlor. I had really good experiences see people happily eating their treats, and I was able to speak with a lot of people who were having digestive troubles or who were overweight, telling them about Celiac and my long journey of learning what it is and how it affects us so drastically. I hope this helps you. Always, Welda