• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Youngceliac16

gluten-free Cake Flour Mix Ideas

Rate this topic

I think you'll find that most gluten-free flour blends which can turn out light and fluffy tend to be mostly carb-based. Things like tapioca flour, sweet white rice flour, corn starch, potato starch, etc are typical ingredients.

Here's a list of gluten-free recipes, including cakes and such, which should help you get some idea of what's commonly used: http://www.celiac.com/categories/Gluten%252dFree-Recipes/

I use the recipe on allrecipes.com for the gluten-free yellow cake. I get my white rice flour from an asian market because it is a finer grind so it doesn't come out gritty.

I had been following the recipe which called for white rice flour and tapioca flour. One time, not paying attention, I used potato starch instead of the tapioca flour and I thought it turned out much better. The tapioca gives a spongier/chewier end product. The potato starch resulted in what I'll call a more traditional mouth feel for cake. The amazing thing was that my kids actually noticed the difference . . . here I thought they were just eating it for the icing :P

Here's the recipe I've used:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/gluten-free-y...ake/Detail.aspx

(now using potato starch instead of tapioca)