This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Different Symptoms Than Most

codyb87

codyb87 Rookie

I am waiting for my doctors appointment in very early Febuary. It seems that everyone on these forums suffer from stomach problems when consuming gluten, yet it appears that my only symptom for now is extremely annoying heart palpitations for hours on end after eating gluten, which also keep me up at night. Also I am apparently no longer anemic, which I have been dealing with for years.

Whats going on? Am I looking into the wrong thing as to the cause of all this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I do not know about heart palpitations but I do know that not everyone has tummy issues as reactions. My Mother (also Celiac), for instance, gets migraines. Good luck!

Aleshia Contributor
I am waiting for my doctors appointment in very early Febuary. It seems that everyone on these forums suffer from stomach problems when consuming gluten, yet it appears that my only symptom for now is extremely annoying heart palpitations for hours on end after eating gluten, which also keep me up at night. Also I am apparently no longer anemic, which I have been dealing with for years.

no tummy issues here.... although after going gluten-free i can tell by my tummy in part if i have eaten gluten but isnt severe

casnco Enthusiast

I would never rule any symptom out as caused by gluten. My symptoms are different every time. the stomach cramping being the worst of them. However, the DH is laughing matter and it seems I have some all the time.

veggienft Rookie

Gluten disease classifications are nested, one inside the other.

Gluten sensitivity: All diseases caused by ingesting gluten.

Gluten intolerance: All autoimmune diseases caused by gluten.

Celiac disease: The autoimmune disease where digestive gluten causes the digestive immune system to attack the lining of the small intestine.

You appear to have non-celiac gluten intolerance. It's actually very common, perhaps more common than celiac disease. Celiac disease was associated with gluten because both are digestive. What's unusual about you is that you were able to associate your non-digestive symptoms with gluten ingestion. Most non-celiac gluten-intolerant people never do that.

When a celiac ingests gluten, the small intestine thinks it's an invading antigen, like a bacteria or a virus. The small intestine responds by producing tissue transglutaminase (ttg). The ttg tags intestinal lining tissue for destruction by IgA antibodies, the antibodies which operate in the digestive system.

When a person with gluten sensitivity ingests gluten the small intestine responds by releasing zonulin, a cytokine which makes the small intestine lining permeable. This passes the partially digested stomach contents into the bloodstream. The circulatory system of a person with gluten intolerance responds with blood-based ttg. The ttg tags tissue it thinks has been compromised by gluten for destruction.

The circulatory system uses IgG antibodies to destroy tissue, and that appears to be what's going on in you. If a gluten-free diet resolves your heartbeat irregularities then you are gluten intolerant.

A common cause of heartbeat irregularities among gluten intolerant people is thyroid malfunction, a result of gluten and IgG attacking the thyroid gland, and attacking the brain systems which control the thyroid gland. You have a choice. You can go totally gluten-free, and see if your symptoms resolve. Mine did. Or you can have a doctor check your thyroid chemicals.

Your thyroid may be too damaged to return to normal hormone production. After you go gluten-free, blood tests could tell you if you need further thyroid-specific treatment, but your response to a gluten-free diet might also tell you that.

Other autoimmune issues besides thyroid malfunction can cause heartbeat irregularity .......adenosine shortage, calcification, nerve attack, liver choline under-production....... A gluten-free diet stands a good chance of resolving these issues. You could search years trying to identify the exact tissue being destroyed. You'll spend time eating gluten and harming more tissue so that you can do what you would have done without the tests ........eat a gluten-free diet.

MELINE Enthusiast

Hey me too I don't have any stomach pain or D when glutened . My only symptom is extreme fatigue, headache and eczema within 5-7 hours and I was totally asymptomatic till 29 years old when my eczema begun.

Meline

jitters Apprentice

Hi there, I know your frustration! I just want to let you know that until the last couple of years heart palpitations and insomnia were my two biggest symptoms (sometimes my only symptoms). Once I went gluten free for a long time I could start to feel some stomach issues and other weird things started happening. As far as the anemia, I'm not sure what to tell you there... I'm usually anemic too and once in awhile it seems like my body cooperates and gives me a normal test in that area. I guess I'm just trying to say you're not alone in this, hang in there! Feel free to PM me if you just want to vent or talk about it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived