This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Protein Supplement

ssims14

ssims14 Newbie

Hi everyone :) ,

This is my first post and I hope you have some suggestions for me. I am one of those very visual people and when I eat meat, if I think about what I'm eating, it makes my stomach turn. Not in a "I'm eating a cute fuzzy chicken" sense, but in a disgusting dirty sense. I eat a lot of veggies and fruit, but am getting where I just don't want to eat meat. Any suggestions on how I can supplement meat to still get my protein. I like peanut butter and beans but was wondering about a protein shake called Almased.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SevenWishes Newbie

I just put in "vegetarian protein" into Google a moment ago, and came up with quite a few sites that have sections devoted to listing foods that are not meat based but still contain significant amounts of protein. Beans are of course the main thing that they mention on most of these sites, but there are a lot of other things listed as well. Try Googling around a little and I think you'll get some ideas. I'm sure others will post here as well with some specifics. :)

missy'smom Collaborator

Quinoa is a gluten-free grain and is one if not the only complete vegetarian sources of protein equal to meat. Do you consume dairy? How about tofu?

ssims14 Newbie
I just put in "vegetarian protein" into Google a moment ago, and came up with quite a few sites that have sections devoted to listing foods that are not meat based but still contain significant amounts of protein. Beans are of course the main thing that they mention on most of these sites, but there are a lot of other things listed as well. Try Googling around a little and I think you'll get some ideas. I'm sure others will post here as well with some specifics. :)

Thanks I appreciate your help

ssims14 Newbie
Quinoa is a gluten-free grain and is one if not the only complete vegetarian sources of protein equal to meat. Do you consume dairy? How about tofu?

I have heard of Quinoa and have always been curious about Tofu but do not know how to use it or prepare it. I do eat dairy as well,

Thanks for helping out

candrews Newbie

Hummus is a great staple for me--it's great with veggies or tortilla chips for a filling snack. Also classic rice and black beans is always a favorite too!

SevenWishes Newbie
I have heard of Quinoa and have always been curious about Tofu but do not know how to use it or prepare it.

Tofu on its own is nearly flavorless. It mostly just picks up flavors from the other things it is cooked with. You can throw in chunks of tofu into most any dish or sauce, and you have extra protein. Granted, that's not the most elegant approach to using the stuff, but it does get the job done. Again, there are lots of sites that have recipes and suggestions on how to use tofu in recipes...break out that ol' Google or Yahoo window and you'll be overwhelmed with info, actually! Here is one link I found a moment ago that looks like a nice starting point: Open Original Shared Link If you're interested in tofu's history, how it's made, and also want to get a few nice recipes, including a tofu drink, a tofu cream pie, "filets" of tofu, and a salad dressing, you can read the transcript of an episode of Good Eats that focuses on tofu. I can't directly link to it, but if you go Open Original Shared Link and search for the episode called "Tofuworld," you can find it easily. The recipes he gives that involve flour are not gluten free, but I am sure they can be de-glutened pretty easily!

Enjoy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

julirama723 Contributor

I have 3 ways that I used to eat tofu:

1) In a stir-fry

2) Made "french toast" style (fried with cinnamon and sugar, it was really good!)

3) In a smoothie

The smoothie was my favorite--it's cheaper than any pre-made shakes, tastes a lot better, and is MUCH healthier for you. Combine silken tofu, fruits, honey, ice (or just use frozen fruit), peanut butter, cocoa, etc. and you have a tasty and healthy protein drink!

I've also seen tofu used in cheesecake, pudding, cookies...

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Ssims, just keep in mind, a lot of us have experienced additional intolerances after going gluten-free, and soemtimes this stems from overloading on one replacement food. I went nuts with peanut butter after I went gluten-free, and now I can't have peanuts. Just try to make sure you get lots of variety. And here's a recipe for baked mac & cheese, it's yummy and lots of protein from the cheese:

1 bag Tinkyada pasta shells

1 big huge pile of shredded cheese (mozz doesn't work well for this, unless it's fresh mozz in slices under the other cheese)

1/2 stick butter

diced onions if you want

enough milk to fill a 12x10 casserole halfway (maybe a quart, it's ok to use a little water to fill in)

Preheat oven to 375.

Pour dry Tinkyada pasta into pan, melt butter, stir into noodles. This is where you would add any seasonings you want, garlic, pepper, whatever. Stir good & flatten the noodles in a smooth layer. Then the shredded cheese goes on top, sorry I don't measure, but it needs to completely cover the noodles fairly thick, maybe 1/4 inch deep. No noodles showing. Do not stir. If you want a creamier end result, try slices of fresh mozz under the other shredded cheese, that's my favorite. If you use all cheddar and romano, say, or some provolone, the end result will be chewier. Just don't put mozz in any form on top or it will get way too dark too fast and be very chewy. My boyfriend loves it that way, but I like it creamy. It's yummy with diced onions mixed into the dry noodles too, I tried that last time. Next time I'll try browned ground beef.

Pour milk over all until you can just see it at the edges, not above the noodles but not too much below the noodles level either. Bake at 375 for 45 min-hour, depending on your oven and how brown you like the top. My noodles are done at 45 min in my oven, but it's a piece of crap, so don't take that to heart. It should be golden on top, when it starts to get too brown take it out and test it, when you go to scoop some out, there should be no loose fluid, there may be some grease from the cheese but no dripping milk.

Sorry this is so imprecise, but I swear it's fabulous. And it's really easy, I get my boyfriend to shred all the cheese for me! We buy big blocks of Land'o lakes. You could always buy it preshredded. My fave combo is mostly cheddar, a cup or two of romano, and soft mozz slices underneath.

rinne Apprentice

Hi, I read this recently and thought you might find it of interest:

Open Original Shared Link

Basically an article about the rise in whey powder protein drinks.

Whey supplements represent the culmination of milk

Archived