This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Lasagna With Other Noodles?

amybeth

amybeth Enthusiast

I have a great lasagna recipe, and wanted to throw one together for our Superbowl party this weekend, but gluten-free lasagna noodles are difficult for me to find and I'm really pressed for time this week. I don't have any on hand.

What I do have is a TON of tinkyada rotini-style pata. Would it work if I did more of a casserole style meal and used these noodles but everything else in the recipe the same?

Would I have to adjust cooking time? I'm assuming no since you cook the noodles first anyway...?

Do you think I would have to adjust the amount of cheese/ sauce / meat since I'd have the smaller noodles?

Now that I'm thinking of it, I'm craving it like crazy and I'd love to make this work.

Thanks so much in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

I think that could work. Really, a lof of pasta dishes are just variations of the same ingredients. I don't think you can go wrong with pasta, sauce, meat and cheese!! As for cooking time, I'd just say it's done when the cheese is the desired doneness. And you can keep lasagna warm in the oven for awhile, so I don't see why you couldn't with your Super Bowl pasta!!

Juliebove Rising Star

You can make a layered casserole with other pasta. It would be like lasagna but I would call it a layered casserole and not lasagna. Just make sure the top is totally covered in sauce so the pasta doesn't dry out.

People on low carb diets make lasagna without any pasta at all. Instead they use layers of eggplant or zucchini. The cheese and sauce is still the same. You could also use potatoe slices or layers of polenta, but then that wouldn't be low carb.

I once went to a pot luck where a lady had made pasta in the crock pot. This wasn't gluten-free pasta. I'm not sure gluten-free pasta could stand up to this, but it sure was good. She used no meat, but a red sauce and added all kinds of cheese, including ricotta. It made a really nice sauce and it was cheap to make for a crowd.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Sounds good to me . . . I don't think I would layer though . . . I would just mix my pasta, sauce, meat and put it in a pan and put a cheese layer on top . . . but I'm kinda lazy that way . . . :rolleyes::lol:

lpellegr Collaborator

It should work just fine. I would recommend undercooking the pasta just slightly because it will probably absorb sauce while it bakes. Baked ziti is pretty much the same as lasagna, but you use ziti (tubes) and mix it up instead of layering with big flat lasagna noodles. Same flavors but less work. Fun fact, "ziti" apparently means "bridegrooms", which might just possibly have something to do with the stiff tubular shape. :o Rude pasta! Go for the rotini and you won't have to blush during dinner. :lol:

amybeth Enthusiast

Ha! And all this time I've eaten ziti without turning bright red.....

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I figured it would work, but just wanted a vote of confidence. Thanks!

home-based-mom Contributor

It works fine. It's how I make "lasagna" now. I call it "Gluten Free Lasagna Flavored Rotelle Bake" :rolleyes: and I use Ancient Harvest Corn-Quinoa Blend Gluten Free Rotelle Pasta.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

Come to think of it, I haven't seen rice lasagna noodles in the store in a long time.

I have used cabbage in place of noodles- sounds weird but it comes out really well. Take a whole cabbage, slice it into rounds, and steam it in the microwave with some water, before using it as you would noodles with the other lasagna ingredients.

Katydid Apprentice
I have a great lasagna recipe, and wanted to throw one together for our Superbowl party this weekend, but gluten-free lasagna noodles are difficult for me to find and I'm really pressed for time this week. I don't have any on hand.

What I do have is a TON of tinkyada rotini-style pata. Would it work if I did more of a casserole style meal and used these noodles but everything else in the recipe the same?

Would I have to adjust cooking time? I'm assuming no since you cook the noodles first anyway...?

Do you think I would have to adjust the amount of cheese/ sauce / meat since I'd have the smaller noodles?

Now that I'm thinking of it, I'm craving it like crazy and I'd love to make this work.

Thanks so much in advance!

Hi-

Just had to reply to your post as I make a 'lasagna' type casserole all the time and it is absolutely fantastic. Not only my family loves it; but it also gets rave reviews from our celiac group at our potlucks.

Just layer the stuff like you normally would....no changes necessary. I'd be happy to email my recipe if you like; and I also have a great french bread recipe that I serve with it. In any event, enjoy the day and have fun.

Kay

wschmucks Contributor

My Boyfriend actually made the noodle from scratch using white rice flour and it didnt take too much time. It was really good! Just roll it out with a rolling pin. Maybe just make the noodle the night before?

Another suggestion-- that im going to try is using zuchini slices to seperate the rows. I am a big veggie nut though. I can certainly understand wanting the noodle!

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

Katydid, please post your recipe. Thanks.

Archived