This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Pancake Mix And Gluten Free Oat Meal

BrainStorm-wow

BrainStorm-wow Apprentice

I was wondering, if there are any pancake mixes that are gluten free and also taste good. My grandmom works at whole foods and she said they have gluten free pancake mix there, but it tastes horrible. I was wondering what pancake mixes you guys have tried. I also need to know find oat meal that is gluten free, but not too expensive.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tim-n-VA Contributor

Up to a point this is a preference thing. Both my non-celiac wife and I like Pamela's Pancake mix.

What was the brand that you didn't like? Or did your grandmom not like it? Or did someone tell her it wasn't good?

I don't mean for that to be sarcastic but it sometimes helps if you provide a reference point. That is, "I didn't like this, recommend an alternative", or "I like this, recommend something similar."

dandelionmom Enthusiast

We really like the Pamela's pancake mix.

stolly Collaborator

We love Pamela's. Only DD has celiac, but DH and I would prefer Pamela's over any other gluten pancake mix. It contains almond meal which gives it a rich, nutty flavor. I also use it to make banana chocolate chip muffins, pumpkin muffins, also as a thickener for cream based soups, and breading for chicken. Once we knew we liked it, I started buying it in bulk on A M A Z O N, which is much cheaper than the small bags at the grocery store.

kim:) Apprentice
I was wondering, if there are any pancake mixes that are gluten free and also taste good. My grandmom works at whole foods and she said they have gluten free pancake mix there, but it tastes horrible. I was wondering what pancake mixes you guys have tried. I also need to know find oat meal that is gluten free, but not too expensive.

Oatmeal is gluten-free? Well I guess it depends on if you are allergic to oats or not...I guess Im confused.

happygirl Collaborator

Mainstream oats and oatmeal are not safe for those with Celiac.

There are some specialty brands of oats that are processed in a manner safe for those with Celiac.

Even with that scenario, there is a percentage of Celiacs that cannot tolerate even safe oats, as the protein in oats is similar to gluten.

jerseyangel Proficient

My non Celiac husband and I both love Gluten Free Pantry Pancake Mix :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

We like Pamela's too. In fact, I just made pancakes from Pamela's mix this morning (it's a snow day-yea!). We also use it as breading for chicken nuggets.

missy'smom Collaborator

We're not crazy about the Bob'e Red Mill certified gluten-free oats but they are cheaper than the others I think. Theres' nothing wrong with them and I have used them in recipes alot but they are a little flat tasting. I really like the Gifts of Nature oats. They seem fresher and are more flavorful. Haven't tried the Cream Hill Estates.

BrainStorm-wow Apprentice
Up to a point this is a preference thing. Both my non-celiac wife and I like Pamela's Pancake mix.

What was the brand that you didn't like? Or did your grandmom not like it? Or did someone tell her it wasn't good?

I don't mean for that to be sarcastic but it sometimes helps if you provide a reference point. That is, "I didn't like this, recommend an alternative", or "I like this, recommend something similar."

I think most likely she was talking about whole foods brand. I could be wrong though.

elonwy Enthusiast

I nth the Pamela's Pancake mix, great stuff. I've tried a bunch of others, and its the best. I just recently started using Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats, and they seem to be pretty good, but I am annoyed by the occasional husk.

Puddy Explorer

I, too, use Pamela's for my pancakes and Gifts of Nature oats. They are both delish.

cupid Newbie

Kinnikinnick pancake mix is awesome like most of their products they taste like the real thing

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

My non-celiac hubby and I both like Pamela's. I didn't even like pancakes that much before going gluten-free. Now, I really like them.

sugarsue Enthusiast

Kinniknick is our all time favorite, I think it's a pancake and waffle mix. We always make waffles. It's a hit with gluten free and gluten eaters alike.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I like the Authentic Foods Pancake Mix. And their blueberry muffin mix is incredible.

TedL Newbie

I personally like the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free pancake mix, although it's a little bit of a pain to prepare as you have to use a blender.

I used to eat the gluten-free mix made by Polly's Pancake Parlor in New Hampshire. That's really good, but I no longer trust that they're careful enough regarding cross contamination. (I don't think I had a bad reaction, but the warning on their label doesn't inspire confidence.)

Regards,

Ted in NY

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

We like Pamela's Pancake Mix and Gifts of Nature oats. We buy both in bulk.

newburyport Newbie

I really like the Whole Foods brand, "365" I believe it is. The pancakes are light and fluffy and delicious! I believe there is milk in the mix, so caution there :)

I tried Trader Joe's gluten-free pancake mix and both my fiance (not celiac) and I felt HORRIBLE after eating them. They sat like a huge brick in our stomachs and we both were uncomfortably full for a few hours after.

I am hoping to try Pamela's next !

Happy Breakfasting!

~newburyport

Hummingbird4 Explorer

I love Pamela's - and I have used her baking & pancake mix for a lot of things: cookies, banana bread, scones. It's delish!

We have some Bob's Red Mill certified gluten-free oats and it tastes good. I'm not a huge oatmeal fan, so I haven't really missed it that much.

Archived