• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

BrainStorm_wow

Gluten Free Pancake Mix And Gluten Free Oat Meal

Rate this topic

I was wondering, if there are any pancake mixes that are gluten free and also taste good. My grandmom works at whole foods and she said they have gluten free pancake mix there, but it tastes horrible. I was wondering what pancake mixes you guys have tried. I also need to know find oat meal that is gluten free, but not too expensive.

Up to a point this is a preference thing. Both my non-celiac wife and I like Pamela's Pancake mix.

What was the brand that you didn't like? Or did your grandmom not like it? Or did someone tell her it wasn't good?

I don't mean for that to be sarcastic but it sometimes helps if you provide a reference point. That is, "I didn't like this, recommend an alternative", or "I like this, recommend something similar."

We love Pamela's. Only DD has celiac, but DH and I would prefer Pamela's over any other gluten pancake mix. It contains almond meal which gives it a rich, nutty flavor. I also use it to make banana chocolate chip muffins, pumpkin muffins, also as a thickener for cream based soups, and breading for chicken. Once we knew we liked it, I started buying it in bulk on A M A Z O N, which is much cheaper than the small bags at the grocery store.

I was wondering, if there are any pancake mixes that are gluten free and also taste good. My grandmom works at whole foods and she said they have gluten free pancake mix there, but it tastes horrible. I was wondering what pancake mixes you guys have tried. I also need to know find oat meal that is gluten free, but not too expensive.

Oatmeal is gluten-free? Well I guess it depends on if you are allergic to oats or not...I guess Im confused.

Mainstream oats and oatmeal are not safe for those with Celiac.

There are some specialty brands of oats that are processed in a manner safe for those with Celiac.

Even with that scenario, there is a percentage of Celiacs that cannot tolerate even safe oats, as the protein in oats is similar to gluten.

We're not crazy about the Bob'e Red Mill certified gluten-free oats but they are cheaper than the others I think. Theres' nothing wrong with them and I have used them in recipes alot but they are a little flat tasting. I really like the Gifts of Nature oats. They seem fresher and are more flavorful. Haven't tried the Cream Hill Estates.

Up to a point this is a preference thing. Both my non-celiac wife and I like Pamela's Pancake mix.

What was the brand that you didn't like? Or did your grandmom not like it? Or did someone tell her it wasn't good?

I don't mean for that to be sarcastic but it sometimes helps if you provide a reference point. That is, "I didn't like this, recommend an alternative", or "I like this, recommend something similar."

I think most likely she was talking about whole foods brand. I could be wrong though.

I nth the Pamela's Pancake mix, great stuff. I've tried a bunch of others, and its the best. I just recently started using Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats, and they seem to be pretty good, but I am annoyed by the occasional husk.

Kinniknick is our all time favorite, I think it's a pancake and waffle mix. We always make waffles. It's a hit with gluten free and gluten eaters alike.

I personally like the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free pancake mix, although it's a little bit of a pain to prepare as you have to use a blender.

I used to eat the gluten-free mix made by Polly's Pancake Parlor in New Hampshire. That's really good, but I no longer trust that they're careful enough regarding cross contamination. (I don't think I had a bad reaction, but the warning on their label doesn't inspire confidence.)

Regards,

Ted in NY

I really like the Whole Foods brand, "365" I believe it is. The pancakes are light and fluffy and delicious! I believe there is milk in the mix, so caution there :)

I tried Trader Joe's gluten-free pancake mix and both my fiance (not celiac) and I felt HORRIBLE after eating them. They sat like a huge brick in our stomachs and we both were uncomfortably full for a few hours after.

I am hoping to try Pamela's next !

Happy Breakfasting!

~newburyport

I love Pamela's - and I have used her baking & pancake mix for a lot of things: cookies, banana bread, scones. It's delish!

We have some Bob's Red Mill certified gluten-free oats and it tastes good. I'm not a huge oatmeal fan, so I haven't really missed it that much.