• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

UnhappyCoeliac

Think Ive Had Gluten No Idea Where From

Rate this topic

This is disgusting BUT

My stool never comes out abnormally unless ive had gluten. I have however been trying really hard to be gluten free since two days ago today I feel something has gone wrong and im note sure how <_< what ive eaten:

flavoured milk (rung manufacter gluten free), gluten free bread, toast butter peanut butter

apple

mother energy drink- This is suss I had to put the rockstar energy drink back because I saw glucose. i didn't see glucose in this energy drink

gluten free lollies

gluten free chips

vit d tablet

multi vit tablet

fish oil tablet

I was fooled by a cream egg the other day ) not even a ingredient list on the wrapping and who honestly expects gluten in a freak choc egg :o:huh:

Can someone help

Is it possible that someone used your toaster for gluten bread, and you got some cross-contamination on your toast? Any other potential cross-contaminations?

Are you sure that you have not developed a reaction to dairy? I know when I get glutened, I have to avoid dairy for a week or so afterward, or I get unpleasant bowel-related symptoms.

I always avoid chocolate unless I know the brand or can read an ingredients list (which doesn't include something vague like "natural flavors" unless I KNOW the company's labeling policy). Barley is a very common flavoring in chocolate. All the Lindt brand chocolates contain barley malt, for example (these used to be a big favorite of mine).

-Elizabeth

Is it possible that someone used your toaster for gluten bread, and you got some cross-contamination on your toast? Any other potential cross-contaminations?

Are you sure that you have not developed a reaction to dairy? I know when I get glutened, I have to avoid dairy for a week or so afterward, or I get unpleasant bowel-related symptoms.

I always avoid chocolate unless I know the brand or can read an ingredients list (which doesn't include something vague like "natural flavors" unless I KNOW the company's labeling policy). Barley is a very common flavoring in chocolate. All the Lindt brand chocolates contain barley malt, for example (these used to be a big favorite of mine).

-Elizabeth

The toaster was clean I know that... other cross contamination I doubt it. I dont think I have a reaction to dairy I hope not... i dont know where else I could find calcilum its just when my body does unexpected things i automatically suspect gluten... but i don't actually knew I am mostly asymptomatic so i cant positively say if I have or have not had gluten some how. I just suspect it based on bowl movements.

Yeh the chocolate is tricky I find cadbury are generally ok with labelling. I simply have top deck these days.

It is the first time I have stoped ignoring this disease and attempted to get gluten free and these deafeatest feelings are annoying lol. I wish there was someway of telling if I had gluten or not besides symptoms or a blood test everyday

We need company names. Which gluten free chips? Which gluten free bread?

Lundberg rice chips glutened me badly and I didn't even eat that many. I read here that they are made on facilities on which wheat containing materials are processed but it didn't say so on the package. I read that it is optional to put that on the package.

You may also want to consider your vitamins/supplements to make sure they are gluten free. If they list "starch", there's a good chance it's only corn starch but you can't be sure. As far as I know, supplements are not yet under the same labeling laws as foods are. Good luck finding the culprit!

Brigala--OMG I have eaten Lindt chocolate since going gluten-free! I feel like an idiot now. But I am so thankful you mentioned this. Live and learn, I guess!

Another idea for the OP--I notice that your menu was lacking in veggies and fiber. Perhaps it's just a case of gluten-free goodies creating less-than-spectacular BMs? I know if I slack off and don't eat my veggies, my bathroom visits suffer. :)