• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

raisin

Lundberg Rice Cakes, Or Something Making Me Sick?

Rate this topic

I am one of the more sensitive celiacs, and lately I have been feeling half awful, half fine, and suspect very minor glutening - but from what??

Constantly tired or lightheaded, periodic stomach distress, period shaking super-sick sensation that passes quickly, can't seem to tell when I'm hungry or full, and generally feel like I have a head cold (but without a fever, cough, or nose problems)

There are only a few new things in my life :

1. Lundberg Rice Cakes..!

Not a dedicated brand. A few of their gluten-free products are contaminated.. but I heard the rice cakes were safe.

Has anyone had a reaction them, or know know whether or not they are processed on dedicated equipment?

--

2. Big e low brand tea - Stopped drinking the day before symptoms spiked, not a dedicated line

3. Feria hair color or conditioner - Gluten free sub-brand, but nothing is stated about potential CC on their equipment (use made me feel very lightheaded)

---

3. Lemon, leeks, cabbage, garlic.. Stir fry the night I started feeling bad (but I don't know how this could cause these symptoms? CC? intolerance/allergy?)

4. Folgers coffee - recently added back to my diet.

5. Clean & Clear deep cleansing astringent - pink liquid acne stuff

6. Lundberg Rice - (just rice) never reacted before..?

Wow, I thought Lundbergh was a dedicated company- yikes, that's a bummer. Sorry you are not feeling well. I might lay off the cabbage if my intestines hurt. Just in a roughage kind of way...

Whenever I'm feeling glutened I return to ONLY known foods. Then, I add ONE new thing in over a LONG period of time (weeks) to check my reactions.

I don't think I'm much help- others will post, I hope!

Feel better!

lisa

I've only heard good things about Lundberg . . . but maybe somebody else has had a similar experience as you. I think you're fortunate that you truly have just a few items that are new. I think Lisa has the right idea and remove them all and try one at a time.

Lundberg no longer makes anything that isn't gluten-free. They specifically reformatted some of their products which had barley malt in them to be gluten-free. Unless you are developing a rice intolerance, I would suspect other things long before Lundberg.

I get Celiac like reactions from bell peppers, eggs and pears. I second the idea of simplify, then add things back one by one.

I got sick from Lundberg rice crackers, but I read here somewhere that they are made on a nondedicated line and everything else is made on a dedicated line. I have heard that citrus is sometimes coated with that wheat containing shelf life extender. I have nothing to back it up, just rumor, but maybe that was it. Were the lemons peeled?

It was in fact not gluten, but potatoes, making me ill (for once)!

I re-read the label on Bob's Red Mill gluten-free corn muffin mix. I could have sworn they were potato-free last time I checked.

Glad you figured it out!

Last time I called Lundberg (6 months ago?) they told me the only product not dedicated were there rice chips (like the Santa Fe BBQ and others). They are outsourced to a different co for processing. :( I love them.