• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

wildwood

No Bake Apple Pie

Rate this topic

I saw this recipe on the local cable news channel. I have not been thrilled with the results of my attempts at recreating a traditional pie crust using gluten free flours so I thought it would be fun to give this a try. I made it this weekend and we enjoyed it very much.

No Bake Apple Pie

8 oz. chopped pitted dates

1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

2 Tbsp honey

7-8 medium sized apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4" thick

2 Tbsp lemon juice (optional)

1/2 cup apple cider (or apple juice)

2 Tbsp butter

3 Tbsp light brown sugar

pinch of ground cinnamon (I used more because I really like cinnamon)

pinch of ground allspice

pinch of nutmeg

2 Tbsp cornstarch

2-3 Tbsp apple cider (or juice)

Whipped Cream for garnish

-Use a food processor to combine 8oz of chopped dates with 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans and pulse for about 30 seconds or so. Squeeze Tbsp or two of honey into mixture and blend until honey is absorbed.

-Press the nut & date mixture firmly and evenly around the bottom and sides of a 9" pie plate. Put in fridge to chill.

-Peel and thinly slice apples and toss with 2 Tbsp lemon juice. Put apples in a large heavy saute pan with 1/2 cup of apple cider, 2 Tbsp butter, 3 Tbsp brown sugar, and a sprinkling each of cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. Stir everything together, turn the heat to high and cook apples 5-10 minutes, until they are close to apple pie consistency. (I found I needed to cook mine a little longer)

-While apples are cooking, make a thickening agent by combining 3 Tbsp of apple cider with 2 Tbsp cornstarch mixing well with a fork.

-When you are happy with consistency of the apples, add cornstarch mixture. Stir that around and cook for 30 seconds or so until it thickens up and turn heat off. Let the apple mixture cool down for 5 minutes or so before adding to the pie shell.

-Spread the mixture around and put into the fridge for a couple of hours to set up. Once it has set, you can slice it and serve it as is or put some whipped cream or vanilla ice cream on top.

Hints: Substitute walnuts for pecans. Remember apples should be cooked as much as you need to to make them the consistency they would be in a baked apple pie before you add the cornstarch.

The crust will not get hard, but it is very tasty.

I saw this on tv too! I can't stand watching Dan Eaton, but this recipe caught my attention - glad to hear it came out good! I'm looking for a dessert to make for Valentine's Day, so maybe I'll give this a try. Thanks for reminding me!!

Where to you live? I'm in Ithaca.

I saw this on tv too! I can't stand watching Dan Eaton, but this recipe caught my attention - glad to hear it came out good! I'm looking for a dessert to make for Valentine's Day, so maybe I'll give this a try. Thanks for reminding me!!

Where to you live? I'm in Ithaca.

I am in the Syracuse area. I love Ithaca. It is gorges!!! :)