This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Removing The Bun And Eating The Meat Inside A Mcd Quater Pounder

UnhappyCoeliac

UnhappyCoeliac Enthusiast

Is this considered safe or not save? If gluten is set in the bun then it couldn't really get on the meat right? ;)

opinions on this?

I am serious by the way I love all kinds of meat and really have been struggling to stop doing this but thought id check with others first

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

I would not do this, period.

Here you can order a McD sandwich without the bun, but once the bun and patty have been in contact with each other, the meat is contaminated.

RiceGuy Collaborator

No, it is most certainly not safe!

Another member (I don't recall who it was) gave the example of dog poop. Imagine that there was dog poop on the burger. Would you try to wipe it off and eat the burger? There's really no way to remove it all.

UnhappyCoeliac Enthusiast

thanks for the reply. I guess I am not doing it.

I am not so desperate for a quarter pounder that i could deal with the social awkwardness of walking to the counter and asking for a "burger without a bun"

or explaining what coeliac disease is too the 400th person who doesn't know or get it and just thinks I am some sort of a weirdo :(:angry::(

sixtytwo Apprentice

You don't have to explain anything, McDonalds does this all the time for LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of people. Remember there are lots of people on protein only diets that don't eat the bun either. The fries at most McDonalds are cooked in fryers that are dedicated only to fries, but you must ask at each one you go to for sure. I do it all the time. Also their sausage and eggs are gluten-free too. You have get in control of your life, take the bull by the horns, make it your business to know what it gluten-free everywhere you go and just enjoy your life. Almost every fast food place has a guide that tells you what is in their food now. I know Wendys and Culvers do. Culvers has dedicated fryers in most of their palces too. I LOVE their fries and their white and chocolate ice cream are gluten-free and so delicious. Their butter burgers are gluten-free and great/of course without the bun. Wendys baked potatoes, chili and frostys are so good and gluten-free.

Now get out there and eat up.

njbeachbum Explorer

great advice sixtytwo! you have to realize that this is something that you are in charge of and the only thing impacted is your own health and well being. i always ask a lot of questions when i eat out, because i won't eat something unless i know for sure that it is safe.

as for mcdonald's french fries, i've heard the jury is mixed on the fries... i think because of the flavoring or seasoning that is used?!? i've had great fries at "five guys" burger joint... fresh cut potatoes fried in a dedicated fryer in peanut oil. yumm numm numm numm

missy'smom Collaborator

You can order a "low-carb burger" ask them to wrap it in lettuce instead of having the bun. Or bring your own gluten-free bun in and assemble it yourself at the table.

Wendy's and some others have lists of gluten-free items on their websites. Check under FAQ's, Contact Us, Menues, or Nutritional Information. Keep these printed out lists in a folder in the car. It may not be something that you go out of your way to get or enjoy like you used to but it's good to know so that you have more options when your out and about and get hungry.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

According to this article, McDonald's fries contain gluten:

Open Original Shared Link

psawyer Proficient
According to this article, McDonald's fries contain gluten:

There has been extensive discussion here on an ongoing basis over the three years since that article was published. Those people in the US should look for those discussions and then make a personal choice. It is only in the United States that the question is open. The person who started this topic is in Australia.

psawyer Proficient

For those in the US, Open Original Shared Link in making your own, personal decision about McDonalds french fries.

larry mac Enthusiast

I think the Atkin's Diet popularized bunless meats for us. I've never noticed any surprise when ordering a cheeseburger without bun. Also, they will usually automatically build it on a bed of lettuce.

Some burger places actually have "Atkin's burgers", and "Atkin's hotdogs" on the menu.

best regards, lm

p.s., Thank's to the dog poop burger comment, I'm not too hungry for a hamburger at the moment!

:rolleyes:

Tallforagirl Rookie
You can order a "low-carb burger" ask them to wrap it in lettuce instead of having the bun. Or bring your own gluten-free bun in and assemble it yourself at the table.

Wendy's and some others have lists of gluten-free items on their websites. Check under FAQ's, Contact Us, Menues, or Nutritional Information. Keep these printed out lists in a folder in the car. It may not be something that you go out of your way to get or enjoy like you used to but it's good to know so that you have more options when your out and about and get hungry.

You can check the ingredients in McDonalds' items (Australia) here: Open Original Shared Link

Most of the burgers are gluten-free, if you order without the bun, just be careful with some of the sauces. Fries are gluten-free, but check dedicated fryer.

curlyfries Contributor

I'm not trying to start up yet another debate (I don't eat fast food anyway), but this recently came across my e-mails....has anyone seen it?...is it valid?

Lisa Mentor
I'm not trying to start up yet another debate (I don't eat fast food anyway), but this recently came across my e-mails....has anyone seen it?...is it valid?

Lisa, this looks similar to a very old article with a current date, or people just like to continue to sue McD's over the same old issue.

All ingredients are disclosed, even though some have been tested and determined safe for Celiacs to consume.

psawyer Proficient

The circumstances cited in the article suggest that it was written in February of 2006. It was then that the testing was done at the University of Nebraska, and this article says of that:

Jack Daly, McDonald
GlutenGuy36 Contributor
Is this considered safe or not save? If gluten is set in the bun then it couldn't really get on the meat right? ;)

opinions on this?

I am serious by the way I love all kinds of meat and really have been struggling to stop doing this but thought id check with others first

I am still feeling sick after six months gluten-free. I eat mc donalds all the time. I get a double hamburger with no bun. I am not longer going to eat there anymore. Just because the meat is gluten free doesnt mean that the people that work there are at all knowledgeable about gluten and CC. Do you really think that they are thinking about you when you order it like that? They could of just touched a bun then grabbed your hamburger patties. The salad could of been cut on a table that was contaminated with bread crumbs.

I learned the hard way. Just too many variables to have to worry about. I wouldn't do it.

Archived