This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Iron Infusion

TrillumHunter

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

After about two years of trying to get my H/H up with oral iron, I finally saw a hematologist again. I pulled my old labs over the last two years and no matter how high my serum iron and ferritin levels were, my hematocrit never got over 11. She told me that inflammation of any kind raises the serum ferritin artificially. She drew blood and said my MVC indicated my iron stores were very low. This despite take 160mg of oral iron a day for two years. Strange, isn't it? My family dr and my GI never picked up on this. So, I'm going to have the infusion and then see my GI again to see what is causing the inflammation. I've two years "clean" ;) and am very careful.

Please tell me about this infusion as I'm a bit sketchy about doing this. :unsure: Also, what about this inflammation? Any tips on what direction to look?

Thanks to all!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DakotaRN Newbie

Just finished my last iron infusion last week. I have had 11 of them. The way it was done for me is an IV was started with just saline running then the nurse started the iron, when that was done infusing the saline is run until the line is clear. It takes about an hour. Side effects I had were very severe headache and the chills. The pharmicist then recommended that it be run over 2 hours. That took care of the problem. I am not sure of the inflammation that your referring to. I hope this information helps.

Good luck,

DakotaRN

Canadian Karen Community Regular

When I have mine, it is administered over a 3 - 4 hour period, it's basically an all day trip to the hospital for me. I have absolutely no side effects from it. Make sure you bring a good book! lol

codyb87 Rookie

I have had on and off anemia for about 7 years with many infusions. Not sure about the inflammation but I know I've always had a pretty easy time getting infusions even with extremely low ferretin and/or Hemoglobin. the above poster explained it right, a quick saline drip for a bit and then they plug in the iron. There is a chance that you can feel woosy or nauseous when getting the iron and if it gets bad just tell them and they run the straight saline again and it evens you out then back on iron, which has happened to me once out of the many infusions I've had.

And ya, bring something to do and if your celiac bring food and drink! They used to serve me sandwiches back when I wasn't celiac which was great, now I bring lots of food and magazines and mp43 player.

Not sure about the inflammation. Your knowledge of iron and what you and your doctor are looking into is a lot deeper than what I know and went through.

Archived