Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shallyssa

''celiac And Doesn't Need A Biopsy'' Told Me 2 Doctors! Help Me!

What's a genetic testing? In which situation they suggest that? I though every test like that was free here! :huh:

Julie

The genetic test for celiac disease will tell you whether you have the genetic markers that give you the potential to develop celiac disease.

The test can rule out the disease, as you can't develop celiac disease if you don't have the right genetic markers for it.

However, the genetic test can't confirm that you have celiac disease, as it's possible to have the genetic markers and not develop active celiac disease.

Only the antibody blood tests and biopsy can confirm that you do have celiac disease.

Signature currently under construction

2. There is a genetic marker test--I think it is called Proteus--that offers close to absolute validation.

Yikes I wish that were true.

That'd make things a lot easier.

The currently recognized (in the U.S. - it's different in Europe, I hear) 2 genes for celiac (HLA DQ2 & 8) are in 30% of the population, yet just over 1% develop celiac disease.

Although researchers have been scratching for a while, they've barely scratched the surface of Celiac genetics.

Much work is to be done.

Also, there are biopsy-confirmed celiacs w/ neither of the "currently recognized" celiac genes.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

What's a genetic testing? In which situation they suggest that? I though every test like that was free here! :huh:

Julie

Actually, your medicine is not free, if you think about it. Canadians pay huge taxes to fund their health care system so everyone pays out of their income. The US is not far behind with our HMO system. We can no longer go to a doctor of our absolute choice...you have to pick one from their lists or pay for a private physician. It was a private physician who tested me because I paid for it. That's the ONLY way I was able to get a diagnosis. Pretty sad.......

Good luck with your endo, Julie! I'm sure you will do fine!