Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdore

Seasonings

I have a question..

I like to cook my own meals but it seems hard when I cannot use many seasonings. For example, no beef or chicken broth.

Does anyone know of a solution for me? A product that would allow me to cook more things that I like?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There are some chicken broths and such that are gluten free.

McCormick seasonings also don't hide any gluten on their labels ...I use those alot however I'm not sure if that's the type of seasoning you meant. Their seasonings really add good flavor to the food.

Imagine brand broths are Gluten-free Casein-free. I use all sorts of spices in my cooking.... what are you looking for that you can't find?

Many Tone's, Durkee, and Spice Island spices are gluten-free. Herb Ox beef and chicken broths are also. I do almost all of my cooking from scratch and have found that I don't need most of the processed foods if I am able to effectively use spices. Check out a good listing such as the one on this site and go for it.

I'm new to celiac as well and was confused about the whole spice thing. When research says that "spices" aren't always safe does this mean ALL dried spices or just ground spices, such as ground ginger. For example, do I have to worry about something like Oregano or Garlic powder?

I'm new to celiac as well and was confused about the whole spice thing.

Kristy,

From what I understand any spice is fine as long as it is from some of the mentioned companies. I use McCormick all the time. The thing we have to be careful of is that some companies use wheat flour, or wheat something, to keep the spice running free so it's best to use recommended companies that don't do that. Use care with combined spices or mixes. single spice is best. I buy the small bottles as I'm learning to use spices myself. I used to use the mixed ones, like pumpkin pie spice. Now I use each spice from it's own bottle and I know it doesn't have any hidden ing. Also, in pkg. products or canned, if it only says "spices" we don't know what is included so I avoid it and I think this is recommended here. By following advise from here it's possible to use great spices and enjoy all your great homemade foods. Granny

Yes some companies use flour to prevent clumping so you should stick with brands like McCormick who will not hide anything otherwise you need to call the manufacturer and see. I have never seen oregano that is a problem I think that is pretty much for ground spices.

From http://www.glutenfreeliving.com/ingredients.htm :

Spices and Seasonings

Pure spices are gluten free. Bottled spices often contain something to keep the spice free flowing. Usually it's silicon dioxide, which is gluten free. If a spice container does not have a list of ingredients on the label, the only thing it contains is the spice indicated. Seasonings have not been defined by the FDA and therefore could contain anything. Sometimes the contents of a seasoning are included on the label in parenthesis.

So if you are not sure of the brand..I would call to make sure...never assume when it comes to gluten