sparkles

Really Good Chocolate Chip Cookies

Rate this topic

I just had to share this recipe. Like most of you, there are certain comfort foods that I miss. Chocolate chip cookies are one of the things that I would like to enjoy again. I have tried several mixes but they have all left a funny taste in my mouth so I decided to experience on my own. Here is the recipe that I came up with....

Cream 1 cup Crisco (butter flavored) with 1/2 c. Brown Sugar Splenda

Add 1/2 tsp gluten-free vanilla and 2 eggs and blend on medium until well blended

Stir in pkg of Gluten Free Pantry Muffin Mix and 1 - 12 oz pkg of chocolate chips

Drop by teaspoon on cookie sheet with parchment paper

Bake in 350 degree preheated oven for 14 minutes

They came out crisp and tasted really good.

Next time I am going to try real butter as shortening sometimes makes cookies crisper than butter does and I did like the gooey chocolate chip cookies best.

I used Brown Sugar Splenda because I am diabetic and don't have the real stuff in my house. I know the muffin mix has real sugar in it but I really wanted to try cookies again! If you try this recipe with real brown sugar, you will have to use a cup of the real stuff (pressed into the measuring cup)... at least that is the ratio on the pkg of Splenda.

My Betty Crocker cookbook advised to add 1/3 cup additional flour for a cakier chocolate chip cookie. I have not made these gluten-free but it is the recipe I made for 30 years and loved that way.

You could try a little more flour and see. If you do, please post it as I would like to try these cookies. I also started making them with a mixture of 3 different chips, DD's fave!!

If you want to try another excellent choc. chip recipe, try the food network's site. Alton Brown (host of Good Eats) actually altered his for a show about food substitution. The recipe is called "The Chewy Gluten Free" ---"chewy" is the name of the original cookie -- and it's fabulous. Makes a bunch, no weird ingredients, and they are great. I make them for parties and nobody knows they are gluten free...