• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Stephster

Gluten Free Potstickers

Rate this topic

Well, I must admit, I'd never heard of potstickers before. It isn't even a word I'd associate with food. So for anyone who may also be wondering what the heck potstickers are, they're more-or-less a dumpling, pan-fried on one side, steamed on the other. Apparently they are also known as Chinese dumplings.

Here's a bunch of recipes for Chinese dumplings (probably not gluten-free):

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/potsticker...Potstickers.htm

BTW, welcome to the board!

I have had more or less success using rice wrappers that I have found at the local asian grocery, like the ones for Thai spring rolls. The look isn't quite right, but they tasted really good. You have a recipe for gluten-free wrappers? Could you post it?

Thanks

Elonwy

If you can get ahold of a recipe for the filling you can sandwich it between 2 lotus root slices and pan fry. There is a name for this but I don't know it off hand. Maybe kenlove can help us out. My husband makes it and it's good. But he's not a recipe follower so I don't have a recipe. For shumai(steamed dumplings) you can put the shumai filling in a softened cabbage leaf piece and wrap it like a little cup, like they do with the usual flour wrap, and steam them. We've done that too and it was good. I also recently came across a Japanese recipe in a blog that showed gyoza(pot stickers) that used slices of prepped daikon radish folded in half with the filling stuffed inside, instead of the usual wrapper.

:P OMG!! thank you so much for posting this!! we have all stop eating potstickers because of the Gluten and NOW we can start eating them again YEAH for kate's recipe! although it looks a little hard :(

Oh I made these-- used PF Changs shrimp dumpling filling instead (carrots, green onions, ginger, shrimp, sesame oil and soy sauce).

I did not have gelatin, which may have changed things a bit, but this dough really works well. I fried mine, but they could go in the oven too.

The dough is more like the bready kind of dim-sum, if you know what I mean. It is not noodley, like potstickers in most restaurants. Delicious!

Thanks for posting this!

Oh I made these-- used PF Changs shrimp dumpling filling instead (carrots, green onions, ginger, shrimp, sesame oil and soy sauce).

I did not have gelatin, which may have changed things a bit, but this dough really works well. I fried mine, but they could go in the oven too.

The dough is more like the bready kind of dim-sum, if you know what I mean. It is not noodley, like potstickers in most restaurants. Delicious!

Thanks for posting this!

Glad to hear it worked out well. I just need to get a few good nights of sleep and maybe I can tackle these.