This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Places To Eat/get Food In Gainesville, Fl

laurelfla

laurelfla Enthusiast

The usual:

Outback Steakhouse

Carrabba's

Bonefish Grill

All located about within a mile of each other near Archer Rd and 34th St

O!O Tapas and Tinis

Near Haile Plantation area

As of Sept. 2008, the manager was also on a gluten-free diet and so could direct me to options on menu. Kitchen was familiar with gluten free.

La Tienda

SW 13th St.

This is just my own experience, and I have never discussed preparation issues with staff, but I am able to eat tacos here (no meat, because they couldn't tell me what was on it) -- just onions, cheese, cilantro, and avocado. Their chips are fried with other flour-containing items, so don't eat them.

Mario's European Bistro

Thornebrooke Village

Chef is familiar with gluten free and will accommodate. I had chicken marsala here. Mmmmmm! They sometimes have live guitar music.

Amelia's

Nice Italian restaurant in Sun Center downtown. Chef and staff know about gluten free and will accommodate. Prices are similar to Carrabba's for chicken/veal dishes.

• 3 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

vickysmores Newbie

Hey! I

• 2 years later...
archaeo in FL Apprentice

I love Satchel's - can't wait for it to reopen! (I'll miss the deep-dish at Leonardo's at Millhopper, though - recently diagnosed.)

I also LOVE Karma Cream. Haven't been since I got my diagnosis, and I still am feeling very timid about asking lots of questions on ingredients, but at least I know that at this place they'll actually be able to tell me what's in each of their products. I feel like they're not always very nice, but I love their products, and I love the idea behind it, so I keep going back.

• 2 weeks later...
archaeo in FL Apprentice

Quick update on the millet and flax pizza at Satchel's - had it yesterday for the first time. The pizza itself was delicious - and not as thin as I anticipated. It wasn't bready-gooey, of course, without the gluten (and my dining companions got the deep dish! I was a little jealous of that), but the taste was nice. I did try their non-dairy non-soy "cheese" substitute, and I wouldn't recommend that. I used to get pizzas with no cheese, and if I really need to stay away from dairy I'll do that from now on - this was too rich for me. Tasted like rich cream on the pizza!

Haven't had any cold pizza yet, but I think that may be lunch...

Otherwise, delicious. Great to see familiar server's faces back there, with so much attention to every table's needs. The place was busy, but not any more so than before the fire on a Saturday around lunch, so we'll be going back again soon. And the salad, as always, was delicious too!

archaeo in FL Apprentice

Also, to add a few options to gluten-free dining in Gainesville:

Sarkara Sweets

Downtown, near Maude's. They have gluten-free cupcakes (made and kept separate from all the others). A little dry and crumbly, but eaten with a fork and a cup of coffee, delicious.

The Jones

Have to admit I haven't been here since learning I have Celiac, but I've only had positive experiences here and they make so much of their own stuff - and source so many things locally - I can't imagine them not being willing to work with customers. I also have noticed (while in the process of getting a diagnosis) gluten-free desserts on their board periodically. Many of their entrees are focused on a variety of vegetables and protein, so no offending substances need even be present (but, to be safe, do check with your server!). Note: I noticed on their web page that they are planning to move sometime in the relatively near future, so check their status before going. Currently on NW 23rd Avenue.

Five Guys

Ok, so this is a chain - not my favorite of places. But everything is gluten-free except the bun, so if you bring your own or, like me, the stack of fries is plenty of carbs for you on top of an already-indulgent burger, it's a good place for an easy (if excessively sized and not healthy) meal. At least a couple of locations in town.

43rd Street Deli

Two locations - one south of town, one in the northwest. I've only eaten at the south location once, and with a large party - so I'll forgive them for messing up my order (forgetting the cheese on my eggs, which in retrospect was maybe a good thing anyway). This place is a typical diner, and though their lunch is forgettable, their breakfast is great, and they often have some amazing specials. They have a tofu and veg scramble on the regular menu, as well as eggs as many ways as you can imagine. They also have some great brown rice dishes. My favorite is their steel-cut oats, which they form into wedges and serve with a balsamic reduction with fruit and nuts. (Until I know if I have a problem with oats, I will eat them.) Since it is a deli, and they don't have a gluten-free menu, be sure to work with your server so she or he knows your needs.

Chipotle

At least a couple of locations, Archer Road and University. We were disappointed with what we got out Archer Road; we'll try University next time. Reviews from other gluten-free folks on other websites indicate that these folks know the drill if you ask them to change their gloves and that you need to eat gluten-free - or that they should know, anyway.

Burrito Bros.

Near the university, tucked behind a church building? It's a strange space, and you either have to eat outside or take it to go - but having transitioned (necessarily) from the burrito to the tacos, I wish I'd done so sooner. The tacos are better! They fry their own corn chips, and only have guac when they can get fresh avocados. Lots of interesting sides I haven't tried yet, too. (I haven't asked what's in the red sauce yet, I just don't get it - so ask before you eat!)

Tasty Buddha

We've eaten here a couple of times. Good curries (ask about soy sauce!), great big salads. Never had the burger or noodles or fish. I've heard the cheeseburger fried rice is amazing, but I need more veggies in a meal than that sounds like it has (unless I want a burger, in which case I'm headed for Five Guys!). After eating in once, we generally get the food to go. It's pretty fast.

Blue Highway

Never eaten here (Tioga Town Center and Micanopy) but I've read that their gluten-free pizza is great. Will have to try it soon...

• 4 weeks later...
archaeo in FL Apprentice

Wanted to add to the list:

East End Eatery

Ate there this weekend, had their gluten-free blueberry waffle (ask for it specifically - they don't have it on the menu) and one of the owners came out to talk to me, asked first if I was comfortable talking about why I was avoiding gluten (I'm happy to!) and then talked with me about the fact that they often have both vegan and gluten-free options available, and always have Udi's bread, that their kitchen is very gluten-free knowledgable, that they source local tempeh that is gluten-free, and showed me a cookbook that she often uses and told me about a Gainesville gluten-free group on Facebook.

Can't recommend this place highly enough. It's a hike for me to get there from work at lunch, but I'll be going on the weekend (Sunday brunch only, no Saturday right now!). Cash only, so be prepared.

(Food was delicious, as was my husband's!)

• 1 month later...
Jennmc31 Newbie

Blue highway is fantastic( I have pics on my FB page) and Bj's brew house :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived