This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Advice For Itchy, Flakey Scalp

lilfrenchie

lilfrenchie Rookie

HElp!!

I am not sure if this is gluten related or not, but for the past year or so I have had the worst scalp. Itchy, flaky, almost "soft" in a way. I can run my finger nail on it and a bunch of skin comes off. Not your regular dandriff. I am a recent celiac dx, within the past 6 months and am compliant with the diet as much as possible.

I am using scalp benefits shampoo/conditioner from aveda and have made sure my hair products (of which I use few of) are gluten free.

Has anyone else experienced this? I was hoping when I was dx that this would help it clear up my scalp, too, but now it has been months later and to no avail.

I just went to get my hair cut and the girl said that I even have scabs on my head because I itch it too much. YUCK!!! This is an embarrasing problem. I don't think it is DH but am not sure. I have been to a derm who just told me to put on some foam steroid but that didn't work very well.

What can give me relief? Any suggestions? I am dying to get this to go away for good! Think coconut oil rubbed into scalp would help?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Sounds like possible psoriasis. You may need to see a dermatologist, but I also use T-Gel plus.

richard

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

I agree that psoriasis is a possibility. Seborrheic dermatitis and candida overgrowth can also cause flaking, but (as far as I know) these other conditions are not itchy. They also respond to different treatments (like anti-fungal shampoo). Psoriasis is itchy because your skin cells are turning over very rapidly... every few days instead of once a month. The flakes are the dead skin cells.

I've had terrible flakiness for about ten years! Hairdressers ALWAYS try to sell me products :( Right now I'm using a prescription zinc shampoo and taking zinc supplements. It seems to be helping... the flakes are greatly reduced. No more flakes on my pillows and clothes.

Sailing Girl Apprentice
HElp!!

I am not sure if this is gluten related or not, but for the past year or so I have had the worst scalp. Itchy, flaky, almost "soft" in a way. I can run my finger nail on it and a bunch of skin comes off. Not your regular dandriff. I am a recent celiac dx, within the past 6 months and am compliant with the diet as much as possible.

I am using scalp benefits shampoo/conditioner from aveda and have made sure my hair products (of which I use few of) are gluten free.

Has anyone else experienced this? I was hoping when I was dx that this would help it clear up my scalp, too, but now it has been months later and to no avail.

I just went to get my hair cut and the girl said that I even have scabs on my head because I itch it too much. YUCK!!! This is an embarrasing problem. I don't think it is DH but am not sure. I have been to a derm who just told me to put on some foam steroid but that didn't work very well.

What can give me relief? Any suggestions? I am dying to get this to go away for good! Think coconut oil rubbed into scalp would help?

Hi LilFrenchie,

I used to have the same exact problem, right down to the scabs from scratching too much. I couldn't wear anything dark in color or I'd look like I'd been out in the snow! I tried virtually every shampoo on the market, and none of them helped (plus some of them smelled so medicine-y that I could hardly stand to be around myself!).

I never did get "the horrible dandruff" diagnosed (I'm not big on doctors), but it was one of the things that lessened *significantly* when I first went gluten-free. I was mostly (but not completely) gluten-free for several years and it would come and go, generally coming back three days after gluten ingestion and lasting about two days.

Now that I'm obsessively gluten-free (no gluten-based vinegars or alcohol, no gluten-containing hair products, no processed foods, no grains, practically no restaurant meals, etc. etc.), it's GONE, and doesn't seem to come back even with CC.

I don't know how long you've been gluten-free, but if a dermatologist visit doesn't help, maybe it just needs more time to resolve. Good luck with it!

Amber M Explorer
HElp!!

What shakes me up here is the fact that you say,"and am compliant with the diet AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE." Sounds like you are not 100% gluten free......My scalp cleared with 100% gluten free. I also heard zinc helps, but you need to read the daily recommended amount, because it can be toxic if you get too much. Are you totally gluten free? And, could you be having "Cross Reactivity" with other foods?

mushroom Proficient
What shakes me up here is the fact that you say,"and am compliant with the diet AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE." Sounds like you are not 100% gluten free......My scalp cleared with 100% gluten free. I also heard zinc helps, but you need to read the daily recommended amount, because it can be toxic if you get too much. Are you totally gluten free? And, could you be having "Cross Reactivity" with other foods?

I am 100% gluten free and my scalp is worse than ever!! :(

lonewolf Collaborator

I have the same problem with my scalp. I have psoriasis. I am fanatically gluten-free and have been for several years. I'm not sure what to do either. No shampoo works well - even T-gel doesn't work anymore. The only time that my scalp (and skin) has ever been completely clear was when I was on large doses of prednisone. That was the only "good" side effect of it and I would never take prednisone just to clear my scalp/skin. One other time I was off dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, red meat, nightshades and citrus fruits and my scalp and skin were pretty good.

I'm trying to eliminate ALL dairy and might eliminate eggs and maybe red meat again. I still avoid soy. I just started taking oil of oregano twice a day and bought some cod liver oil to take. Sometimes I rub olive oil into my scalp at night and sleep with it on. It relieves a little itching and dryness, but doesn't work as well as I hoped it would.

Good luck! If you find anything that helps please post it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient
I have the same problem with my scalp. I have psoriasis. I am fanatically gluten-free and have been for several years. I'm not sure what to do either. No shampoo works well - even T-gel doesn't work anymore. The only time that my scalp (and skin) has ever been completely clear was when I was on large doses of prednisone. That was the only "good" side effect of it and I would never take prednisone just to clear my scalp/skin. One other time I was off dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, red meat, nightshades and citrus fruits and my scalp and skin were pretty good.

I'm trying to eliminate ALL dairy and might eliminate eggs and maybe red meat again. I still avoid soy. I just started taking oil of oregano twice a day and bought some cod liver oil to take. Sometimes I rub olive oil into my scalp at night and sleep with it on. It relieves a little itching and dryness, but doesn't work as well as I hoped it would.

Good luck! If you find anything that helps please post it!

Hi Lonewolf: It is reassuring to know I am not alone. I have tried all the remedies, from zinc to T-gel to Dovonex, all the Rx shampoos, eucalyptus, tea tree. Have never tried prednisone because I do not tolerate it at all. I started off with dandruff as a kid, progressed to seborrhea and then to psoriasis, initially only small patches, then whole scalp, in my ears too (as well, of course, as all the mentionable and unmentionable places.) I think I am being punished. Back before I knew what psoriasis was Dh and I used to see these commercials on TV (can't remember the product being advertised for the life of me) talking about "the heartbreak of psoriasis" (don't know if they still do those any more. ) Anyway, we used to make mocking fun of "the HEARTBREAK of psoriasis". Well now I am experiencing it :lol:

I am soy free and nightshade free, don't do lactose but do do other dairy and eggs. Do you really think these things might make a difference?? And the nuts, red meat and citrus?? I would have to eliminate 75% more of my recipes! if I did that and would be really dietary challenged :(

Amber M Explorer
Hi Lonewolf: It is reassuring to know I am not alone. I have tried all the remedies, from zinc to T-gel to Dovonex, all the Rx shampoos, eucalyptus, tea tree. Have never tried prednisone because I do not tolerate it at all. I started off with dandruff as a kid, progressed to seborrhea and then to psoriasis, initially only small patches, then whole scalp, in my ears too (as well, of course, as all the mentionable and unmentionable places.) I think I am being punished. Back before I knew what psoriasis was Dh and I used to see these commercials on TV (can't remember the product being advertised for the life of me) talking about "the heartbreak of psoriasis" (don't know if they still do those any more. ) Anyway, we used to make mocking fun of "the HEARTBREAK of psoriasis". Well now I am experiencing it :lol:

I am soy free and nightshade free, don't do lactose but do do other dairy and eggs. Do you really think these things might make a difference?? And the nuts, red meat and citrus?? I would have to eliminate 75% more of my recipes! if I did that and would be really dietary challenged :(

I am eliminating one thing at a time and if I don't get better, then the next. But I notice a few of you are not 100% gluten free. Good luck, I know how hard it is!

mushroom Proficient
I am eliminating one thing at a time and if I don't get better, then the next. But I notice a few of you are not 100% gluten free. Good luck, I know how hard it is!

Well, I have eliminated gluten, soy, corn, lactose, nightshades and all my digestive problems have gone away. The intractable problems are RA and psoriasis, the other auto-immune things brought on by gluten. I have just started Humira injections to calm down the inflammation still raging through my body. I just was (self) diagnosed too late to be able to arrest those, I believe. (Age 69, gluten free 15 months.)

Amber M Explorer
Well, I have eliminated gluten, soy, corn, lactose, nightshades and all my digestive problems have gone away. The intractable problems are RA and psoriasis, the other auto-immune things brought on by gluten. I have just started Humira injections to calm down the inflammation still raging through my body. I just was (self) diagnosed too late to be able to arrest those, I believe. (Age 69, gluten free 15 months.)

That's why I am afraid my neurological problems are not going to completely go away. This dizzy feeling of falling all of the time and the facial and body twitches and numbess as well as visual disturbances just drives me insane. I don't go far from home. My social life is suffering. I do have a few good days here and there, and will be completely corn free as soon as my new supplements come. So far I'm gluten, soy, corn, yeast, lugume (allergies) free, and cut back to almost no nightshades. ( a few potatoes here and there, usually one per week.)

I started years ago with some of my symptoms and I wonder if I have permanent nerve damage. I have read that it takes a few years sometimes, so I will not loose hope! I realize I may have to give up more yet.

lonewolf Collaborator

I remember the "heartbreak of psoriasis" commercials too. Didn't understand at the time what they meant.

I eliminated all of the above mentioned foods because I had horrible arthritis and was desperate to have some relief. I had an ELISA food allergy panel done and I showed reactions to a LOT of foods. For a whole year all I ate was fish, rice, some fruits and some vegetables and sunflower seeds. The arthritis went completely away and the psoriasis was almost completely gone. As I added foods back the psoriasis (and horrible dandruff) came back.

I still avoid gluten (fanatically), soy and most dairy, although I cheat with the dairy too much. I also don't eat much red meat. I think that all dairy, not just lactose, isn't good for psoriasis or arthritis. You might want to eliminate all dairy and see if that helps with your arthritis.

Several years ago I tried to challenge gluten, soy and dairy with disastrous results. My joints started aching, psoriasis got way worse and digestive problems came back, and I developed a kidney problem. I cut out all gluten, soy and dairy again and everything got better except for the psoriasis/dandruff.

I'm trying oil of oregano because I've read that there can be a relationship between strep infections and psoriasis. I used to have chronic tonsillitis and strep throat as a college student and wonder if there are some lingering strep germs somewhere inside. I'm also trying cod liver oil because it's a healthy fat and can't hurt with the dryness.

Amber M Explorer
I remember the "heartbreak of psoriasis" commercials too. Didn't understand at the time what they meant.

I eliminated all of the above mentioned foods because I had horrible arthritis and was desperate to have some relief. I had an ELISA food allergy panel done and I showed reactions to a LOT of foods. For a whole year all I ate was fish, rice, some fruits and some vegetables and sunflower seeds. The arthritis went completely away and the psoriasis was almost completely gone. As I added foods back the psoriasis (and horrible dandruff) came back.

I still avoid gluten (fanatically), soy and most dairy, although I cheat with the dairy too much. I also don't eat much red meat. I think that all dairy, not just lactose, isn't good for psoriasis or arthritis. You might want to eliminate all dairy and see if that helps with your arthritis.

Several years ago I tried to challenge gluten, soy and dairy with disastrous results. My joints started aching, psoriasis got way worse and digestive problems came back, and I developed a kidney problem. I cut out all gluten, soy and dairy again and everything got better except for the psoriasis/dandruff.

I'm trying oil of oregano because I've read that there can be a relationship between strep infections and psoriasis. I used to have chronic tonsillitis and strep throat as a college student and wonder if there are some lingering strep germs somewhere inside. I'm also trying cod liver oil because it's a healthy fat and can't hurt with the dryness.

Have you tried "Oil Pulling?" It is suppose to help all of our conditions. Check it out on Google.

I have been doing it for 6 weeks and seeing some results.

FruitarianGirl Newbie

I have heard that Manuka honey works wonders for Lupus scalp rashes which are similar.

Manuka honey reduces inflamation and kills bacteria, fungus and parasites. It is actually used in surgery in New Zealand. Apparently it kills micro-organisms by sticking to them and removing the moisture from them until they die. Therefore, it is effective on bacteria that is resistant to medication. It penetrates deep into the tissues and is so anti-inflamatory that if you have a swollen joint, for example, it will absorb throught the skin and target the swelling deep within.

Try Comvita 100% Active Manuka Honey New Zealand Wound Management UMF 18+. It's on Amazon (search by "Comvita Wound Care"). They also have their own site (combvita.com). For more information about Manuka Honey watch this youtube video: Open Original Shared Link or see the website manukahoneyusa.com.

If you use coconut oil, be sure to use virgin coconut oil. The best I know of is Tropical Traditions (tropicaltraditions.com). On their website they also provide information about virgin coconut oil in general. Virgin coconut oil is another miracle food that is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic and anti-inflammatory. To find it on amazon search by "tropical traditions 16 oz gold label"

C.S. Blogsmith Newbie
Have you tried "Oil Pulling?" It is suppose to help all of our conditions. Check it out on Google.

I have been doing it for 6 weeks and seeing some results.

Oil pulling has worked really well for my skin problems. A large portion of my body (including my scalp) was covered with a blistery rash (that appears to autoimmune related). It started healing immediately after I started oil pulling.

Amber M Explorer
Oil pulling has worked really well for my skin problems. A large portion of my body (including my scalp) was covered with a blistery rash (that appears to autoimmune related). It started healing immediately after I started oil pulling.

I had read that it did that, but it's always good to hear confirmations. Sometimes I wonder if the oil is making me feel better or not. Thanks

lonewolf Collaborator

I've read that oil pulling can be hard on your teeth. Mine are full of fillings and I have 2 crowns and a root canal. Is it worth trying or would it make my teeth fall out?

Amber M Explorer
I've read that oil pulling can be hard on your teeth. Mine are full of fillings and I have 2 crowns and a root canal. Is it worth trying or would it make my teeth fall out?

There is a thread that "Shay" started here on the site about oil pulling. A bunch of us are doing it and keeping tract there. Check it out. But I read a book on it that gets into all of that. If you have "mercury fillings" it can draw out the mercury as it detoxes and can cause the fillings to fall out possibly. I have about 6 thirty year old fillings and none have fallen out yet. (after over 2 months of daily oil pulling.

Just google oil pulling, there's a ton of information out there. I think it is helping me a many ways.

• 9 months later...
StacyA Enthusiast

Lonewolf - Make sure you're watching your mercury intake, however, with the fish and the cod liver oil. Some symptoms of mercury poisoning look like celiac's.

tiredofbeingsickandtired Apprentice

Try an SLS, ALS- (sulfate) free shampoo and also try conditioner only washings. I started this a few months ago and my head cleared up well...I was losing my hair. Well I fell prey to the coupons and bought some SLS shamppo on sale, within a month my hair was falling out again and my head had the horrible rash like you described. I'm back to using Avalon peppermint shamppo 1-2 itmes a week and conditoner only washings 1-2 times a week with a water only wash 1-2 times a week.. For my conditoner only washes I use Giovanni tea tree conditoner mixed with water. I'm also terrbily allergic to sunflower oil, that will break me out all over in a few seconds after contact...learned the hard way with a dove conditioner.

• 2 weeks later...
sickchick Community Regular
Try an SLS, ALS- (sulfate) free shampoo and also try conditioner only washings. I started this a few months ago and my head cleared up well...I was losing my hair. Well I fell prey to the coupons and bought some SLS shamppo on sale, within a month my hair was falling out again and my head had the horrible rash like you described. I'm back to using Avalon peppermint shamppo 1-2 itmes a week and conditoner only washings 1-2 times a week with a water only wash 1-2 times a week.. For my conditoner only washes I use Giovanni tea tree conditoner mixed with water. I'm also terrbily allergic to sunflower oil, that will break me out all over in a few seconds after contact...learned the hard way with a dove conditioner.

THIS IS A GODSEND... darling you are the best. I know exactly where to get Avalon shampoos and conditioners I have been brainstorming and brainstorming with no reason why my hair is falling out- I am not anemic all my vitamin levels are perfect. I started buying KMS dandruff shampoo a few months ago (b/c it's antifungal) thinking it would help- and no way! It made things worse! And Sodium Laureth Sulfate is ingredient #2!! ugh. you are the best :):):)

• 3 months later...
tiredofbeingsickandtired Apprentice

THIS IS A GODSEND... darling you are the best. I know exactly where to get Avalon shampoos and conditioners I have been brainstorming and brainstorming with no reason why my hair is falling out- I am not anemic all my vitamin levels are perfect. I started buying KMS dandruff shampoo a few months ago (b/c it's antifungal) thinking it would help- and no way! It made things worse! And Sodium Laureth Sulfate is ingredient #2!! ugh. you are the best :):):)

awww I never saw this, so sweet. I'm definitly not the best LOL, very much a goober about most everything...but I did want to update. My skin/scalp BLEW UP after about a month of the Avalon, then California Baby - found out that I am allergic to anything with chamomile & lavender (or related plants)- a slight positive to tea tree. I'm trying Johnsons & Johnson no more tangles for curly hair, its SLS free and so far the past 24 hours have been dramatically different-no itch, redness, or weeping. Praying this works because I've broke the bank trying to find something that works.

Tummy Frustration Rookie

For what seemed to be forever, I dealt with dandruff--the worst was noticing it on dark clothing. Redken Anti-dandruff shampoo/conditioner is amazing! It did wonders with my scalp. I no longer have dryness/dandruff on my scalp (except verrrry little when the weather just changed) and nothing ends up on my clothing anymore.

Archived